[Released!] The UK Roadset - 1.1 Released!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Would you use this set if it had "drive on right" ability?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 127

Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: [Released!] The UK Roadset - 1.1 Released!

Post by Lakie »

Judging from the error message, I believe that is more a of bug with OpenTTD binary and its set of patches. ;)
The grf hasn't changed so it must be something within that set of compiled binary and its code.

However I am aware that OpenTTD has recently changed how it handles road/rail sets, I don't know if this will knacker older methods though.
Currently there are no plans implement this new method, that may change around what Born_Acorn wants, and of course if he is willing to supply the new graphics.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Tell me what you need and I can provide them!
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

That error message usually translates to "I found a real sprite while looking for a pseudo sprite. Please skip the real sprites too."
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

I'm aware of what the error translates to, DaleStan, its the fact it doesn't happen with OpenTTD 6.3 or TTDpatch (nightlies) which makes me thing its something that has changed in OpenTTD's trunk to break it.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

peter1138 has made the NewGRF loading more strict and disables "invalid" ones instead of trying to make the best of it.

Loading UKRoadset (the dos one):
dbg: [grf] [UKRoadset.grf:481] SkipIf: Skipping 82 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [UKRoadset.grf:564] LoadNewGRFFile: Unexpected sprite, disabling

Sprite 564 is a real sprite instead of the action sprite it expected (I hope I used the right name here).

0.6.3 would just skip the real sprites until it found something that it could use, but that's most likely not what was meant when writing the NewGRF.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Peter has worked it out. Apparently there was a change to the Action7 specification which OpenTTD didn't notice which has lead to this problem (and I've long forgotten about the change too). :oops:
I believe he is working on how to fix it now. (TTDpatch r1384).

~ Lakie
dasy2k1
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dasy2k1 »

This set dousent seem to like the UK gated crossings set as i get default roads on them
see image (loaded with crossings below roadset)

if i load with the newgrfs the other way round i dont get the gated crossings at all
Attachments
roadproblem.png
roadproblem.png (17.54 KiB) Viewed 6710 times
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

This is due to the nature of how those sprites exist, currently there isn't a 'merge' system, so the last applied sprite takes presidence.
Either this road set could be modified with some special overrides for that grf, or that grfprovides compatibility for this road set, either way it would require one of the grfs to add compatibility for the other.

I believe Peter was working on a system around this but I don't know what happened to it.

~ Lakie
dasy2k1
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dasy2k1 »

I have posted the same messgae in the topic for the crossings as I feel they are 2 sets that are likly to be used together,

hopefully somhow either one of you can make them compatable in the way that yours works with Pikka's bridge etc
GDS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GDS »

ive done that one aswell only the roads at my game turn blue .. see screeny , is this suppose to happen ??
O.o maybe its clowdy in my game and its the shadow of the clouds O.o ?

:- )

its fixed now :) thnx
Attachments
GDS-Xsys, 17th Jan 2160.png
(915.39 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Last edited by GDS on 05 Jul 2009 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

That looks like a windows grf loaded with dos palette
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Lakie wrote:This is due to the nature of how those sprites exist, currently there isn't a 'merge' system, so the last applied sprite takes presidence.
Either this road set could be modified with some special overrides for that grf, or that grfprovides compatibility for this road set, either way it would require one of the grfs to add compatibility for the other.

I believe Peter was working on a system around this but I don't know what happened to it.

~ Lakie
I can graphically make this happen if the original author, and yourself are up for it, although I don't think I've seen cornelius since the BNG Set died.
dasy2k1
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dasy2k1 »

Hmmm well it seems that the UK gated crossing is dead....

prehaps gates and if possible full barriers (paved roads) and AHBs (unpaved roads) could be coded into the next version of the UK roadset! (presuming the level crossing sprites are part of the road sprites rather than the railway sprites)
mediumpete
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mediumpete »

dasy2k1 wrote:Hmmm well it seems that the UK gated crossing is dead....

prehaps gates and if possible full barriers (paved roads) and AHBs (unpaved roads) could be coded into the next version of the UK roadset! (presuming the level crossing sprites are part of the road sprites rather than the railway sprites)
Like so? OK - just so you know, this is not only my first post but my first attempt at graphics of any kind! I'm also not sure whether I can post the final work as well, as I'm just banging the sprites into the existing roadset. Lots to learn!
Attachments
WIP
WIP
ahbopen.png (94.13 KiB) Viewed 5899 times
Still WIP - but it flashes!
Still WIP - but it flashes!
ahbclosed.png (48.17 KiB) Viewed 5899 times
dasy2k1
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dasy2k1 »

Looking good!
Have to ask the coding gurus if you can have a different level crossing after a certain date (eg build gates before the automatically build semaphores date and ahbs after (with possible full barrier on roads with street lights)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Level crossings are governed by the track set, as long as it makes use of the new railtypes feature. there it can also check the date, so might be possible to implement your suggestion.
dasy2k1
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dasy2k1 »

Sounds possible.. would the level crossings need to be in the roadset, railset or a separate grf?

Thinking that this roadset plus pikas railset (for ukrs2) would look very good with British level crossings

I might even have a go at drawing some if I can work out how to get the sprites from the grf (the road sprites) will be the first things I have drawn tho so have no clue how to start

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Level crossings must be part of the railtypes NewGRF - and are independent of the underlying road.
dasy2k1
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dasy2k1 »

Hmm looks like its PikkaBird I need to speak with then as its his UK finescale tracks that I think this would be the most appropiate rail grf to put these in
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

Maybe this has been mentioned elsewhere.

FYI, this pair of choice roadsets (i.e., the signage version as well) are not compatible with the newGRF "Total_Town_Replacement_Set-3.14.tar".

In addition, the texts in their listings as displayed in the newGRF settings index -- either in or out of a game -- are always white/grey instead of the customary orange. Also, I have no idea what I might've done to upgrade their corresponding left-hand boxy status indicators within the index from what had been customarily blue to green. (Me, I can't readily tell what the blue colour itself must signify, although the red and green ones seem pretty obvious.)

Return to “Graphics Development”