OpenGFX+ Industries

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

OpenGFX+ Industries

Post by planetmaker »

Terkhen and myself started some time ago this project which aims to remove some (mostly pointless) limitations to the default industries and tries to enhance them slightly, too, e.g. by having them better integrate into the landscape by adding snow-awareness.

Here's what we have in stock with this first taster release:
Version 0.1.0 wrote: - Feature: Snow-aware oil wells
- Feature: Snow-aware forests with growth animation
- Feature: Customizable valuables industry chain.
- Feature: Customizable oil industry chain.
- Feature: Customizable coal industry chain.
- Feature: Configurable distance from water for oil refineries.
- Feature: Allow all industry types to close
And as usual you can get this NewGRF from your favourite fruit store, the project's home including sources is on the DevZone.
Attachments
OpenGFX+ Industries 0.1.0
OpenGFX+ Industries 0.1.0
ogfx-industries010.png (461.5 KiB) Viewed 56071 times
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenGFX+ Industries

Post by DJ Nekkid »

planetmaker wrote:And as usual you can get this NewGRF from your favourite fruit store
Beeing an TOTALL ass, know-it-all, and just plain silly; (and on a sidenote, i've done this myself on several occations)
Isnt the banana techincally a berry, and not neither a fruit nor a vedgetable?
Atleast that is what i were told when on a vocation on the caribian island of Barbados MANY years ago (+-17yrs ago). And they
apparently produce lots of bananas, coconuts, and rum :)
Member of the
ImageImage
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

A banana is a berry, the plant being a herb... but i regard berries as fruits, so it's all ok :))
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Could you explain what exactly "Customizable [x] chain" means? :)
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Roujin wrote:Could you explain what exactly "Customizable [x] chain" means? :)
This feature lets you decide to use a given chain, and which industries of that chain. By default all of them are set to "Depending on climate". If for example you set the Coal chain to "Enabled", you will have the coal cargo, coal mines and power plants in all climates (even in subtropical, where they are normally not available). If it is set to "Disabled", this cargo and its related industries will not appear, even in temperate and subarctic.

You can also use this to get Oil Rigs in subtropical and subarctic, where they are not usually available. You can get banks that produce and accept valuables in subtropical and subarctic, both gold mines and diamond mines in any climate, and so on.
Attachments
screenshot.png
(94.29 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Is it a feature that the oil rigs don't accept or produce passengers or mail, and they don't have any built-in sea port or helipad?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Sylf wrote:Is it a feature that the oil rigs don't accept or produce passengers or mail, and they don't have any built-in sea port or helipad?
Neither is intended. Thanks for the report, we shall look into it.
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Sylf wrote:Is it a feature that the oil rigs don't accept or produce passengers or mail, and they don't have any built-in sea port or helipad?
Both of these issues are now fixed and they will appear when today's nightly is created. The payment rates of cargos should be fixed too. Thank you for the reports.
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

New release!. As usual you can get it on the online content. It includes a lot of fixes for known issues, improvements for visualization and integration with the different ground types and parameters for disabling building restrictions to Oil Wells, Oil Rigs and Banks. Enjoy, and don't forget to come back with your feedback :)
Version 0.2.0 wrote:- Feature: Parameter for disabling Oil Wells building restrictions.
- Feature: Parameter for disabling Oil Rig building restrictions.
- Feature: Compatibility checks for several NewGRFs. Deactivate self in case of doubt
- Feature: Disabling building limits for Oil Rigs also allows them to be built during map generation.
- Feature: Parameter for disabling Valuables Bank building restrictions.
- Feature: Ground awareness for the diamond mine
- Feature: Animation for the diamond mine
- Add: Ground tile aware gold mine tiles
- Change: Make the meaning of 'coastal distance 0' slightly clearer for oil refineries
- Fix: Currently toyland climate is not supported
- Fix: Bundle readme.txt instead of readme.ptxt
- Fix: Also allow random generation of banks when the valuable cargo is selected
- Fix: Convert price factors to the right units.
- Fix: Oil Rigs did not have heliports nor docks anymore.
- Fix: Oil Rigs did not produce and accept Passengers anymore.
- Fix: Improve ground awareness of oil wells
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

Nice stuff :)

Now, I don't know what exactly are your long terms objectives for this GRF...

But since I'm a player of OpenTTD who cares more for having fun than having realism in my TTD games, I was wondering if you have any plans to include new industries?

But without the complexity most Industries set's have, for example just adding a few new industry's that behave just like the original's...

So without most limit's that other set's impose on the player, like the placement, rates, production monthly, stock, etc... They just work like like the original industries...

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against players who enjoy having more realism on their games, but I honestly find those rules mostly boring in my games, I'm not really a fan of micro-management on TTD...

Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Digitalfox wrote:Now, I don't know what exactly are your long terms objectives for this GRF...

But since I'm a player of OpenTTD who cares more for having fun than having realism in my TTD games, I was wondering if you have any plans to include new industries?
The goal of this NewGRF is to enhance existing industries. There are no plans for introducing new industries (at least on my part). It is planned to finish the custom chains feature in future releases, extending it to all chains and industries.
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Version 0.3.0 is ready:
Version 0.3.0 wrote:- Feature: Customizable Iron Ore chain.
- Feature: Customizable Copper Ore chain.
- Feature: Customizable Rubber chain.
- Feature: Customizable Farm chain.
- Feature: Customizable Fruit chain.
- Feature: Customizable Wood chain.
- Feature: Customizable Water chain.
- Add: Shop industry for Food acceptance in temperate.
- Add: Warning when using too many factory chains.
- Add: Ground aware farms tiles
- Change: The Power Plant and the Water Tower now close after a random period of time without delivered cargo.
- Change: Re-add the dirt to the oil derrik's ground tiles.
This new release fixes a nasty (but not reported) bug with the Power Plant; Power Plants and Water Towers would close at random even when serviced. Now these industries will close after a random period starting at the last time the industry received cargo, with a minimum of 5 years.

The custom chain feature is now complete: now you can decide what industries you want to use in your game, no matter the climate. You can for example make the Factory accept Steel, Copper Ore and Wood, make the Farm produce Livestock only and deliver it to a Food Processing Plant and so on. If you try to set more than three cargos for the Factory, some of them will be moved to other industries (check the parameters description for more information).
Terkhen wrote:There are no plans for introducing new industries (at least on my part).
It seems that I was wrong :)

Since temperate houses do not accept Food, if Food is active in temperate a new industry will appear. The Shop only appears in towns and its only purpose is to accept Food.

We would also like to start requesting translations. Right now we have translations for English, German and Spanish. You can get the up to date English strings here. You don't need to translate the comments (lines starting with #) or the string IDs (STR_...); you only need to translate the strings starting with ":". Once you finish, attach your translation to this thread :)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

And let's show a bit how this set looks like now:
Attachments
OpenGFX+ Industries 0.3.0
OpenGFX+ Industries 0.3.0
ogfx-industries030.png (506.68 KiB) Viewed 55081 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Mmm, that looks like a lot of nice little graphics tweaks :)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

And already a small bug fix release: OpenGFX+ Industries 0.3.1

Thanks to V453000 for many tests. The following issues were addressed:
Changelog version 0.3.1 wrote:- Fix: Take into account TTRS' definition of banks as an industry
- Fix: Correct some industry placements (like forests not in desert, etc...)
- Fix: There was no industry accepting Wood when four cargos for the Factory were chosen.
- Fix: Improve ground tile awareness of power plants
- Fix: Ground awareness for water supplies
- Change: Different tree for the forest in tropical climate
Enjoy :-) - as usual this NewGRF is found on Bananas or the DevZone
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

I thought I'd suggest some re-phrasing to make things read a little more smoothly
enhances industries and more control which industries may become available
Enhances industries and gives more control over which industries become available.
Presence of the Coal chain. Depending on climate will use the defaults of the current climate
This parameter controls the presence of the coal chain. When setting the parameter to "depending on climate" the presence of the coal chain will be controlled by the default settings for the climate

Similarly for the other industries
Note that you can only have three Factory cargos at the same time. If you select more than three, when possible some cargos will be accepted by other industry instead (Farm cargos by the Food Processing Plant, Wood by the Sawmill).
The Factory will accept a maximum of three cargoes. If more than three are selected, some cargoes will be accepted by other industries instead (Farm cargoes by the Food Processing Plant, Wood by the Sawmill).

Note CargoEs
:By default, Oil Wells cannot be built at all in temperate (except while the map is being generated) and they cannot appear after the year 1950 in other climates. Also, Oil Wells in the temperate climate will not increase their production.
By default Oil wells can not be built by players in the temperate climate. In other climates Oil wells can not be built by players after 1950. Temperate Oil wells will never increase production

STR_PARAM_VALUABLES_BANK_DISABLE_RESTRICTIONS :Disable Valuables Bank building restrictions
STR_PARAM_VALUABLES_BANK_DISABLE_RESTRICTIONS_DESC :By default, Valuables Banks do not appear during map generation.
I suggest getting rid of the word valuables
Hirundo
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Hirundo »

Bob_Mackenzie wrote:... can not be built by players ...
... cannot appear ...
These two do not have the same meaning. Industries can appear at random, remember.
Create your own NewGRF? Check out this tutorial!
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

Good catch. How about

By default Oil wells can not be built by players in the temperate climate. In other climates Oil wells will not appear in the game after 1950. Temperate Oil wells will never increase production
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Just downloaded and it look terrific. However, bugs spotted.

Added copper/paper/fruit/water to a temperate game, foodstuffs to go to a food processor.
Clicking a factory, it apparently accepts livestock, grain and water. A station placement next to the factory reports the station accepts steel and copper (as I would expect)

Also on the minimap I get industries reported twice... Oil wells (2), Oil wells (1) possibly because it thinks there are 2 climates active? I can live with that though!

Not yet had time to try the game for real as I'm at work...
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

3iff wrote: Added copper/paper/fruit/water to a temperate game, foodstuffs to go to a food processor.
Clicking a factory, it apparently accepts livestock, grain and water. A station placement next to the factory reports the station accepts steel and copper (as I would expect)

Also on the minimap I get industries reported twice... Oil wells (2), Oil wells (1) possibly because it thinks there are 2 climates active? I can live with that though!
I'm afraid I can't reproduce that here. Do you have a savegame for me so that I can see how you get that result?

If I have one guess only it'll be on some interference with another industry NewGRF which we didn't declare explicitly incompatibility with.

Return to “Graphics Releases”