England and Wales Scenario (OTTD)

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

England and Wales Scenario (OTTD)

Post by Wasila »

England and Wales Scenario

This scenario consists of a detailed map of England and Wales, with hundreds of towns and cities, industries placed according to their approximate real life locations -- such as North Sea oil -- and a number of major rivers.

The towns are not placed to an exact scale on this map but adjusted to ensure a more enjoyable game; I have found that a number of scenarios feature a London which is seven or eight times larger than Birmingham, as in real life -- in this scenario the two cities are much closer size-wise. Industry locations are also adjusted for playability, so two parts of a chain are not too far away to transport.

The scenario is available on BaNaNaS, and so are all the newGRFs required to play it.

Map Size: 2048x2048
Last edited by Wasila on 12 Jun 2011 21:16, edited 2 times in total.
brickie
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: England and Wales Scenario (OTTD)

Post by brickie »

I, uh, hate to pick nits, but Newcastle and the river Tyne appear to have migrated about 70 miles south and are now in the Vale of York.

Compare the scenario's coast between Filey and Bridlington...
Yorkshire coast 1.PNG
Yorkshire coast 1.PNG (114.63 KiB) Viewed 10603 times
With Google Earth.
Yorkshire coast 2.PNG
Yorkshire coast 2.PNG (522.83 KiB) Viewed 10603 times
If that's deliberate, to give a large northern terminus for the East Coast Main Line, then fair enough. As a citizen of York, it hurts my eyes :)
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Sure, that's the reason...

But seriously, you would know as you generated the heightmap - should Newcastle be on the map at all? The map appears to cut off quite a bit south of the border if I check it against Google Earth. I must have got confused and added it when I was making the rivers.
brickie
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by brickie »

I didn't generate the heightmap, wouldn't know how - I modified an old scenario (the original author is mentioned previously in the thread, I'm sure).

I'm about to move house on Thursday but once I'm back online I'll have a tweak with the northeast area - Darlington should *just* off the map to the north, so it'll fit at the very top without changing things too much. I don't suppose you've got an earlier version of the map before the River Tyne was added?
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

OK, thanks for that. I'm afraid all the versions I have are of 2 or later (when the rivers were introduced, I believe) - I have switched systems since then and it must have got lost in the process.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

In the version i used i moved all the cities and just squashed newcastle and the extra river right up in the north.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

I'm about to move house on Thursday but once I'm back online I'll have a tweak with the northeast area - Darlington should *just* off the map to the north, so it'll fit at the very top without changing things too much. I don't suppose you've got an earlier version of the map before the River Tyne was added?
I was planning on perhaps looking at the scenario again anyway to add more industries/rivers and such - I'll wait for you first so that we don't end up with two different versions.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Well mine has roads and rails on it, so you'd have to demolish at least the rails :P
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

I was quoting brickie there but, now you bring it up, could we see a savegame of yours to see exactly what you've done? It would be greatly appreciated :).
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Ooo i dunno about that :P

Its very much a work in progress ;)
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

We're interested in the map, not your rails ;). It's up to you, though - just a suggestion.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Well im not getting internet until 28th June. So until then i have no access to post anything from the computer im building it on. But as soon as my net is up ill post it. Its got lots of GRFs in it atm though.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

No rush - just curious. Thanks ;).

In the meantime - version 2.5 released!

This version includes an increase in industries as well as the River Trent!

It should be available on BaNaNaS shortly.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Not to rush you, but brickie it's been a while since you promised you would work on the scenario. Have you found time yet?

Thanks,
Wasila
brickie
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by brickie »

Ooh, I'd forgotten all about it in the fun and games of moving house and then being in a play. Duly noted, I'll see what I can come up with...
brickie
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by brickie »

Here, how's that?

I've added a few more places in the Lake District and North York Moors as well...
Attachments
England and Wales Scenario (v2.5.1).scn
(4.53 MiB) Downloaded 499 times
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Better late than ever, eh? Brickie's version released on BaNaNaS - all I added was to update the included newGRFs.

Thanks brickie!
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Hmmh... Colchester and its surroundings need fixing - a few towns seem to have migrated from the coast. Anyone an expert in this area?
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Note to self duly noted. New version uploaded, with improvements around London and Ipswich.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

And around Birmingham, while I'm at it.

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”