Changing NewGRFs in scenarios / ingame

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Changing NewGRFs in scenarios / ingame

Post by Wasila »

EDIT: read the whole thread. It answers all you can want to know. No, I won't put a summary here
</planetmaker>

I was just starting a new game of OTTD after a while when I realised that I cannot change newGRFs. After using the search function, I understand that this is done by design, but as far as I can see there is a major side-effect to this; it is impossible to add newGRFs to a new scenario. Surely this is ridiculous? Practically everyone uses newGRFs but it is now impossible to use them in conjunction with scenarios, or you are forced to use exactly what the newGRF author decides upon.

Is there *any* way round this? If not, then surely a change needs to be made?
Last edited by planetmaker on 27 Aug 2012 10:01, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: made title clearer
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NewGRFs in scenarios

Post by Yexo »

Wasila wrote:I was just starting a new game of OTTD after a while when I realised that I cannot change newGRFs. After using the search function, I understand that this is done by design, but as far as I can see there is a major side-effect to this; it is impossible to add newGRFs to a new scenario.
Correct
Surely this is ridiculous?
Why? Scenarios are technically the same as savegames, so the same problems appear.
Is there *any* way round this? If not, then surely a change needs to be made?
Yes and no respectively.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Yes
This answer is reminiscent of Sir Humphrey in Yes Minister. Care to elaborate?
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Use the search function, it has been explained often enough.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

I have searched numerous times and for numerous things, but the most helpful information I've found is 'search for it'. Care to link me?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

It's indeed meanwhile virtually impossible to find. The above mentioned link points to the discussion prior to its implementation. You need to enable "scenario_developer" via console.

Mind that you'll loose all warranty on the savegame stability ;-)
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Excellent. Thank you!
Arie-
Director
Director

Post by Arie- »

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=53834 contains an example of why this was changed of just two days ago.

edit: I intended to post this thread: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=53873 . As it contains a more severe issue after changing newgrf's.
brickie
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by brickie »

I've been busy failing to find out what happened with GRFs and Scenarios for a few days as well, having been out of the loop for a couple of months. I tried searching but was missing the fact it was only in scenarios - I'm sure you can imagine that searching for "can't change grfs" and similar wasn't being helpful.

Is it possibly worth stickying this thread?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Feasible and done.
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

By the way, is changing the palette of a NewGRF safe? The game doesn't save the palette setting with the presets and I often forget to change it before a game.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Should be, yes. I'm surprised that it isn't allowed from a running game.

On the other hand, a NewGRF can provide palette information, so that OpenTTD can select the correct palette accordingly.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

FooBar wrote:Should be, yes. I'm surprised that it isn't allowed from a running game.
Actually... as you might know the disallowance of changing NewGRFs in-game is due to problems mostly caused by removing of NewGRFs. Adding a NewGRF can disable another NewGRF, e.g. it does not allow to be used next to the added NewGRF, in which case the disabling is like removing the NewGRF. The same can happen when changing the palette. There are many examples of NewGRFs disabling themselves due to having the wrong palette. So it could be the case that you started the game with that NewGRF disabled, then changing the palette will enable it which might in turn disable another NewGRF which equals removing that NewGRF.
Jacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Jacko »

But: heres an idea, if you had saved before you did it, and it messed your whole game up, you can reload the save and not do the change, and if it works carry on regardless, it was just the idiots messing up the game that complained and caused the issue. so what if it crashed and you cant reload it again? thats your fault... not the game developers or anyone else.

The lack of Newgrf Changeableness means that when im in a really long game and new epic grfs appear (mainly station and train sets) or a newgrf you have doesnt work well, you cant change anything, you have to start over, which really annoys me.

Sorry for the rant but thats my view on all this.
"O2 is for noobs, real people breath O3" ~ said sometime by Me

All comments from me may or may not be true and do not take them word-for-word

Feel Free to join me and some other people in The Nations Game - its actually quite fun.

1000th Post at Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 am
2000th post at Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:22 am
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Jacko wrote:But: heres an idea, if you had saved before you did it, and it messed your whole game up, you can reload the save and not do the change, and if it works carry on regardless
Nice idea, but how do you decide 'it works'? 'Not crashing' is not the same as 'working'.
In fact, a simple plain crash is quite rare. Much more often something very small gets corrupted, which you don't notice at first. As the game progresses, the bad data gets used, and affects other data, and so on, until you eventually notice something missing, or wrong.
That may however be a long time.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Rubidium wrote:There are many examples of NewGRFs disabling themselves due to having the wrong palette.
Makes sense, thanks.
kotssmurf
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by kotssmurf »

I will be frowned upon, seeing as I'm probably #50 asking this, but I can't seem to find the correct way to change GRF's in my current game. First of all this sticky's title is 'NewGRF's in scenarios', which is a little dubious when not reading the forums every day. Secondly people are linking to all kinds of threads without one post actually explaining from a to z, or am I completely overlooking this?
I know I have to change openttd.cfg ,but on what way does it link to my current savegame?

Can anybody please copy paste me the correct workaround in this sticky? It would be most appreciated!
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Have a look at the NewGRF FAQ in the manual/wiki. There is listed what setting you need to change.
kotssmurf wrote:I know I have to change openttd.cfg ,but on what way does it link to my current savegame?
While not all settings are linked to the savegame (some are stored in the savegame rather than read from the config), in this case the change in openttd.cfg is sufficient.

Return to “General OpenTTD”