[OTTD] Sunday Coast (WIP)

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
MatiasL
Engineer
Engineer

[OTTD] Sunday Coast (WIP)

Post by MatiasL »

Hi

I started creating a new scenario today, and I'd like to hear some opinions about the progress so far.

This is a 1024x512 temperate map about a coastal region. This is supposed to be easy/medium in difficulty, no newgrfs needed. I have created the landmass, placed the cities and industries, but before forestation and all the details I'd like to see what you guys think about the balance.

I tried to place the industries logically and realistically but still balanced.

I have only made two scenarios previously (Cuba from BaNaNaS and Helsinki from the forums) and I don't consider myself as an hardcore tycoonist. I'm more like a casual player in this genre. That is why I'm not sure about the balance of the industries in this scenario.

Could someone take a quick look at the attached scenario and comment here what they think?

I'm looking for advice mostly in:
Industry placement/amount
Town placement/amount
Attachments
Overview.png
Minimap of the whole area
(83.11 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Detail.png
One of the bay areas
(339.87 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Scenario_Industries.scn
The scenario with landmass, towns and industries. WIP
(131.61 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
pasisti
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] Sunday Coast (WIP)

Post by pasisti »

I had a little problem with my accounts, but managed to retrieve this older one. MatiasL is no longer in use, so I will post updates using this account.
Last edited by pasisti on 18 Feb 2011 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
A map of Cuba for OpenTTD: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=37138
Sunday coast, a friendly map: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=52965
pasisti
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pasisti »

OK I had a little time on my hands this morning and couldn't keep my fingers off this :)

Here is the release candidate of this scenario. I will think about it for maybe 2 days and then upload it to bananas.
If someone sees anything wrong (too many/few industries/towns etc) with the scenario, please post a comment about
it so I can make this a better scenario before putting it online! :)
Attachments
Sunday Coast RC.scn
(508.24 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
Overview.png
(56.62 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Detail1.png
(215.27 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
pasisti
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pasisti »

Whups, it has been a really long time since I last played OpenTTD.. Seems like nowadays you can't add newgrf in the scenario editor. Well, this scenario is without trams, then. Tough luck.

I played a test run and it seems that more industries are needed. Especially primary industries. Also some of the areas seemed too empty and dull, so I added a few rivers, a lake and a dozen small/medium towns here and there. I will play more to see what else is needed :)
ShadowSpawn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ShadowSpawn »

Actually, there is a way to add/remove newgrfs in-game. Look in your openttd.cfg (should be located in my documents\openttd) for a line under [gui] called newgrf_developer_tools = false. Change ''false'' to ''true'', and you should be good to go! :)
The scenario is looking good, but i think it would be good with some more grf's. Maybe Sac's Stolen Trees, or North American Roads... :)
pasisti
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pasisti »

Thank you for the advice!

I added the following NewGRF:

OpenGRF+ Landscape 0.1.1
Stolen Trees
Swedish Houses Set 1.1
Generic Tram Set 0.4

The Swedish Houses works like this now: the towns use (mostly) the original town set in the beginning, but when they grow you will also see the new houses. This will be the change your company is bringing ;)

I will attach the current RC3 version of the scenario here. If someone could check it out it would be great! I really don't know what could have went wrong in the NewGRF editing but then again I don't know much about those things.
Attachments
screenshot#1.png
Detail with the NewGRFs
(365.28 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Sunday Coast RC3.scn
Added newGRFs, rivers, towns, industries etc
(578.43 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
Lordmwa
President
President

Post by Lordmwa »

I would stick a train set in there as well depending on what look you are going for - UKRS2 would be great if you want it to be british type, 2CC for more general european, Japanese for japan and NARS for US.

Of course people will change them if they want but i dont think many people play much with the generic graphics if they have come to know the alternatives
The TT forums trivia tournament! Come along and join in the fun
http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90722
pasisti
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pasisti »

This is a whole new world for me, I last played openttd back when 0.7.0 hit the fan :)

2CC looks nice, tried it out and put it in the scenario. It will maybe fit the look better and give more options in the gameplay. I also really liked the opengrf+ landscape with the grids taken out. Do people normally like that or is it just me?

By the way what will happen when these newgrfs are updated? Will they still work with this scenario? I tried a lot of scenarios from bananas last night and too many of them couldn't find the correct files from the content downloader and that got me wondering.
pasisti
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pasisti »

Here is the release version that I'll upload to Bananas :)

Sunday Coast

Temperate coastal area. Includes mountains, rivers, inner lakes and islands. Towns and industries placed with realism and balance in mind.
Most towns start with 300-900 population, with some smaller town and some bigger cities also appearing.

Map Size: 1024x512
Starting Year: 1961
Created with: 1.1.0-RC1

NewGRF: OpenGFX+ Landscape, Stolen Trees, Swedish Houses Set, Generic Tram Set, 2CC Trainset
Attachments
Sunday Coast.scn
Version 1.0 (final)
(586.53 KiB) Downloaded 366 times
Map of area.png
The whole coastal area
(37.28 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Detail.png
One of the cities
(263.47 KiB) Downloaded 3 times