US Town names

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

tristanb
Engineer
Engineer

US Town names

Post by tristanb »

Hi everyone.
I'm uploading a US townnames NewGRF that contains nearly 1000 town/city/burrough/"CDP" names. To make it seem "American" I tried to restrict it to places that exist in 4 separate States. I like more generic town names than major ones - there's nothing worse than having New York City on the west of your map and Los Angeles at the north - places like "Springfield" are common enough that they could appear anywhere on the map.

I used a method similar to that documented here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:List_ ... lace_names except using a different set of names.

Clinton was the most common place name in my list, followed by Franklin, Fairview, Greenville and Salem. The proportions are reasonably well preserved in the NewGRF.

It should appear up on Bananas once everything is processed.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: US Town names

Post by wallyweb »

Excellent! :D
tristanb
Engineer
Engineer

Re: US Town names

Post by tristanb »

Here is the source. There are not many comments, as it's reasonably simple if you're used to looking at ActionFs.

There are about 42 (0x2A) "IDs", each of which I've tried to make the proportion total 128. I modified a few if there were lowest-common-denominators to take out, or if there was some overhang. The final ID (80) chooses out of these 42. If I squeezed two groups into one, I made it twice as likely that the squashed group would be chosen.
Attachments
us_towns.nfo
Source
(20.37 KiB) Downloaded 328 times

Return to “Graphics Development”