[UNIV]Dutch town names

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

[UNIV]Dutch town names

Post by Hyronymus »

Hereby I release the Dutch Townnames grf with thanks to the support from Alberth, roboboyr, planetmaker and Lakie here.

This grf provides up to 4.256 (!) Dutch town names, large and small. I have included 3 language files: Dutch, English and German. As this is version 1 there may still be some errors in this grf and perhaps some known cities are missing. Please report errors, together with general feedback so I can improve on this grf.
dtnames.zip
(23.4 KiB) Downloaded 1843 times
The Dutch town names have to be enabled by choosing Game Options > Town Names. There are no parameters to set.

Enjoy!

EDIT: The set is available under GPLv2 and on Bananas. Changed the minimal required version of OpenTTD to 1.2.x and fixed an GRF ID error.
Dante123
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: [OpenTTD]Dutch town names

Post by Dante123 »

nice :D

thanx (P.S. is "Houten" included too ? :D )
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Yes, it is. But it depends on luck whether you see it. Over 4.000 names makes for quite some variety in-game.
Dante123
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dante123 »

cool :D i will sure add this grf to my new game
(btw the new Train station in Houten is almost done, really really great station they have build)
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Nice newgrf.
I checked the presence of a few named small collections of houses, and they were all present.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Excellent. From the short test I gathered it gives nice results which can make for a stylish game experience :-) I'm looking forward to find it on bananas so that it can also be used on our MP servers.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

It's already on grfcrawler, I'll try to find out how to put it on bananas.

EDIT: can someone advise me a license? I have no problem if other people take this grf as a basis for their own work as long as I'm credited. I probably need to supply a license file and the source too then, right?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

http://bananas.openttd.org/en/ --> manager --> upload new

You need to login with your openttd account (same as on wiki.openttd.org / bugs.openttd.org)

EDIT:
Hyronymus wrote: EDIT: can someone advise me a license? I have no problem if other people take this grf as a basis for their own work as long as I'm credited. I probably need to supply a license file and the source too then, right?
Well. It depends, I'd suggest GPL v2+ or CC-BY or CC-BY-SA. While GPL requires others to also use GPL and it requires you to provide the source (you could just zip the sources and attach it here), the CC-license wouldn't require that of you. Both (or all three) licenses require others to give you credit for your original work. I'd advocate for either GPL v2+ (need to provide source) or CC-BY (no need to provide source) as both are compatible with OpenTTD's GPL v2 license; I'm not 100% sure about the compatibility of CC-BY-SA with the GPL v2.

I'd advise explicitly against any non-commercial clause as that'd render it incompatible with the GPL and also prohibits people to put that NewGRF along with OpenTTD on e.g. a DVD which comes along with a gaming magazine and alike (that already counts as commercial use).

You're welcome, of course, to request a DutchTownName project on the DevZone. Using that basically fulfills the criterion to provide sources, but it'd also require you to get familiar with the use of the version control system mercurial (not a big deal, you have python already, so it should be quite straight forward as it's also python-based, but well...)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

OK, I think I'll go for GPL v2. But it would be handy for gathering of files to have a project on the Devzone. I'm already a registered member there and I can add a project. Is that all there is to it?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Hyronymus wrote:OK, I think I'll go for GPL v2. But it would be handy for gathering of files to have a project on the Devzone. I'm already a registered member there and I can add a project. Is that all there is to it?
Mostly yes. After you created a project you "just" need to clone the empty repository, add your files and basically that's it. It might be a good idea to possibly talk through any unclear details in IRC.

See for a quick guide:
http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/hom ... Windows%29
(yes, it's different links!)

cheers,
pm
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

Town names should quite well work on TTDP too, so there is no real need to prefix it with "[OpenTTD]" or do you know something more?
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Ammler wrote:Town names should quite well work on TTDP too, so there is no real need to prefix it with "[OpenTTD]" or do you know something more?
No, but I had a look at other town name sets.
brickie
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: [UNIV]Dutch town names

Post by brickie »

Quick question while we're on the subject, I've been meaning to do a US town name set (real towns/cities) for a while. Can anyone tell me:

- If there's already one floating around somewhere that I've just never found.

- If not, how do you make one? There's a tutorial at http://hg.openttdcoop.org/nml/raw-file/ ... town_names but it seems to only be about making ones which combine multiple parts, like the original TTD names. Is it as simple as only setting one <part>?
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Why don't you take a look here.
brickie
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by brickie »

Because I didn't know it existed :mrgreen:

OK, will have a play around with that.
brickie
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by brickie »

OK, couple of questions then.

- What is the number after the town name? I see in the Dutch list, it's mostly 1, but occasionally 12, 16 or 32. It looks to me as if the bigger numbers are attached to bigger places, but why? Does it make the game more likely to pick them?

- I see this is an .nml file, which a bit of site-searching tells me is a newgrf description language. How do I use it? Bear in mind my code-fu is very weak...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

The number does indeed indicate the likelihood a name is given. I believe it should add up originally but it works this way too.

NML is the new language and if you do a forum search you'll find a tutorial on how to install the required tools. Or perhaps you can ask someone with NML-tools setup to compile for you.
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

A U.S. town name NewGrf already exists. CLICK HERE to get it. Be sure to peruse the Read_Me as it comes in two flavors. Like Hyronymus' Dutch town name NewGrf the U.S. one is of the 'direct replacement' type as opposed to being of the 'name parts combined randomly' type. The random type being what the game does by default. There was someone interested in creating a random type U.S. town name file but exactly who it was escapes me at the moment. Try a search.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

That was me. Still not gotten around to doing more than curiously looking at the code. If somebody wants to beat me to it, feel free :-)
brickie
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by brickie »

Nite Owl wrote:A U.S. town name NewGrf already exists. CLICK HERE to get it.
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Return to “Graphics Releases”