ECS & FIRS original vehicle set

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Honza_
Engineer
Engineer

ECS & FIRS original vehicle set

Post by Honza_ »

Hello, here I present new NewGRF from my magic workshop. Tonight it is set with original TTD vehicles enabled to be reffited to ECS or FIRS cargo (all vehicles are included, which means trains, cars, airplanes and ships).
Each cargo has its special graphics (train wagons and cars only). I used original graphics and where it wasnt enough I used Michael Blunkcs Cargo set 2003.
Some nice preview picture could be posted here in future, just try it to see it.
Doesnt work in Toyland.
Has two parameters
1st ... some choo-choo locomotives
2nd ... universal wagons and road vehicles to be used in case some cargo is missing (e.g. when ECS or FIRS are updated)

Licence changed to GPLv2
Version 2012.08.04 for ECS 1.1.2, ECS 1.2, FIRS 0.7.5
EFrefit.zip
(765.81 KiB) Downloaded 1852 times
efrefit.nfo
NFO Source code
(166.01 KiB) Downloaded 665 times
Last edited by Honza_ on 05 Aug 2012 12:17, edited 9 times in total.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: ECS & FIRS original vehicle set

Post by Alberth »

You publish the grf under the GPL license, but I cannot find the the source code files that produces the grf file.
Could you please post that too?
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Alberth wrote:You publish the grf under the GPL license, but I cannot find the the source code files that produces the grf file.
Honza_ wrote: [...] I used original graphics and where it wasnt enough I used Michael Blunkcs Cargo set 2003.
Cargo Set is not under GPL.

regards
Michael
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Did you recieve permission to use MB's graphics?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

michael blunck wrote:
Alberth wrote:You publish the grf under the GPL license, but I cannot find the the source code files that produces the grf file.
Honza_ wrote: [...] I used original graphics and where it wasnt enough I used Michael Blunkcs Cargo set 2003.

regards
Michael
That doesn't mean you cannot or did not allow him to use your sprites in this newgrf, under a GPL license. The impression that permission was not granted is right?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

michael blunck wrote:

regards
Michael
There is a copy of that license both in the zip posted here, as well as at bananas.

I don't mind if you want to keep your source files to yourself (although I think it is a pity), but in that case something has to change.
You cannot publish data under GPL and not release the source files. That is what GPL is about.

(In fact, my primary concern is not the graphics of you Michael, but whether the grf contains copies of sprites of the original tycoon files.)
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

planetmaker wrote: [..] The impression that permission was not granted is right?
No, I´m just reading it here.
Albert wrote:(In fact, my primary concern is not the graphics of you Michael, but whether the grf contains copies of sprites of the original tycoon files.)
Yes, I know.

regards
Michael
Honza_
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Honza_ »

My mistake, of course I should care more. License is CC-BY-NC-SA v3.0. I changed it in attachment file, and with next version I will change it on palm server either.
As for viewing the source, anybody interested would have to use grfcodec.
michael blunck wrote: Cargo Set is not under GPL.
I truly used some of your graphics from cargoset, Michael, in cases where original ones were not sufficient to cover all ECS and FIRS cargo. The subject file is cargosetw.grf from 2003, GRFID "mb 03 05". I was provided by that file in believe it has no licence issue. In the package is a licence and copying file with GNU GPL licence though.
Under the light of this post, I think things should be set right.
My apologizes for the mischief done. If I can have your allowance to use them even furthermore, I will be most gratuful.

In the rest I used original pictures, that is the point of newgrf afterall.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Honza_ wrote:In the rest I used original pictures, that is the point of newgrf afterall.
How did you do that?
You are not allowed to include the graphics of the TTD CD in your NewGRF, as they are copy righted.

You can refer to original vehicles from the base set though afaik (but I am a noob at NewGRFs).
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Honza_ wrote:
michael blunck wrote: Cargo Set is not under GPL.
I truly used some of your graphics from cargoset, Michael, in cases where original ones were not sufficient to cover all ECS and FIRS cargo. The subject file is cargosetw.grf from 2003, GRFID "mb 03 05". I was provided by that file in believe it has no licence issue. In the package is a licence and copying file with GNU GPL licence though.
Ah, sorry. You are right. Apparently, there do exist different versions. The one you´re refering to is indeed under the GNU GPL and may be used according to that particular license.

regards
Michael
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Honza_ wrote:
My mistake, of course I should care more. License is CC-BY-NC-SA v3.0. I changed it in attachment file, and with next version I will change it on palm server either.
As for viewing the source, anybody interested would have to use grfcodec.
michael blunck wrote:
Honza_ wrote:I truly used some of your graphics from cargoset, Michael, in cases where original ones were not sufficient to cover all ECS and FIRS cargo. The subject file is cargosetw.grf from 2003, GRFID "mb 03 05". I was provided by that file in believe it has no licence issue. In the package is a licence and copying file with GNU GPL licence though.
Ah, sorry. You are right. Apparently, there do exist different versions. The one you´re refering to is indeed under the GNU GPL and may be used according to that particular license.
Emphasis is mine.

You need to make up your mind about the license and stick to it. Apparently you're allowed to use the graphics from the cargoset.grf under GPL. That does however mean that your grf should also be distributed as GPL. That in turns means you'll have to release the source of it. Just saying "As for viewing the source, anybody interested would have to use grfcodec." is not enough for that.
Of course you're free to stick with CC_BY_NC_SA 3.0, but that means you'll have to get permission from mb to use his graphics under that particular license.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Yexo wrote: You need to make up your mind about the license and stick to it. Apparently you're allowed to use the graphics from the cargoset.grf under GPL. That does however mean that your grf should also be distributed as GPL. [...]
Now, when searching for that particular set, things turned out a bit more complicated. In fact, that set is indicated to be under the GPL, though unjustifiedly, because it does contain original TTD graphics (the trucks). It´s from 2003, obviously a time when nobody really cared for the intricacies of copyright law (including me).

regards
Michael
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

OpenGFX+ Road Vehicles already uses GPL only sprites, and it shares the goal of supporting ECS and FIRS (also PBI). Right now the most important thing missing from the set is sprites for new cargos, so you might consider helping with finishing this set's graphics instead :)
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

I like your GRF (my AI likes it :D ), but I have two issues:
There are no ships and aircraft available on the sub-arctic climate.
I think it would be better to use the goods wagon instead for carrying farm supplies in FIRS, as it is not fertiliser only, it includes machinery and such.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Brumi wrote:I like your GRF (my AI likes it :D ), but I have two issues:
There are no ships and aircraft available on the sub-arctic climate.
I think it would be better to use the goods wagon instead for carrying farm supplies in FIRS, as it is not fertiliser only, it includes machinery and such.
It's not one vehicle only which supports a cargo. Several vehicle types can - in principle - support a single cargo. The reason is simply what you mention, a cargo like farm supplies can have several representation as in a bulk cargo (fertilizer) or a piece cargo (replacement part) or rather large piece cargo (like whole vehicles). I'm not sure which are not exactly supported, but yes, feasible (and I think it already works, if not it might happen in a future release to see all these options available. Then it'll be up to your AI to choose from the options.
Honza_
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Honza_ »

Brumi,
after almost half a year of posting this newgrf, you are the first one to point the subarctic bug :D
I checked the code but have no clue why it happens, but of course this will be fixed as soon as possible.
Thanks for the post

UPDATE
So it was the vehicle general property 06 which was set to 15 for ships and airplanes (which would mean enabled in all climates)
Setting it to 07 fixed the missing ships and airplanes in arctic.
I will update it on banana very soon
Boondox(Ryda)
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Boondox(Ryda) »

@Honza_
could you update this for the most recent version of FIRS And ECS cause ur set doesnt have vehicles for recyclibles possible other cargos
Honza_
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Honza_ »

Hello Boondox(Ryda),
I have updated efrefit newgrf set . It supports FIRS 0.7.5, ECS 1.1.2 and ECS 1.2 now.
Enjoy and in case of a bug, please report.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

I am well aware it is almost 2 years ago, but did the license issues ever got resolved? As if you do use GPL parts in your GRF, are you allowed to publish them by the custom license you are using?

The reason this came up, was because your GRF got blacklisted for license violation back in January 2011. This seems to be done wrongfully by the looks of this thread, but I would like to be sure it did. If not alone for your own sake of not distributing wrong licenses with your GRF ;)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Return to “Graphics Releases”