"Pimp My Sprites" - eGRVTS - New testing version [June 2012]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Organisation of eGRVTS2: Multiple GRFs or one big one?

All vehicles (trucks, buses & trams) in one big GRF
16%
All vehicles in one GRF and individual types can be disabled via parameter
76%
Trucks, buses & trams in three separate GRFs
7%
Some other organisation
1%

Total votes: 124

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

"Pimp My Sprites" - eGRVTS - New testing version [June 2012]

Post by Zephyris »

Hi all,

I am currently working on a big update to eGRVTS, primarily adding nicer graphics, random graphical variation and graphics support for more cargoes from other grfs... I know there are a lot of people out there with far better graphics abilities than me and here is your chance to improve the graphics in eGRVTS! And I can promise no boring repetitive drawing will be involved, just pure artistry.

The grf is going to be assembled by some of my own custom scripts, this takes all the pain out of coding thousands of sprites per vehicle and makes it simple to include more loading stage graphics, more cargoes and random graphical variants. Instead of manually drawing all the loading stage and cargo graphics for a vehicle the sprites are automatically generated by layering together different components of the vehicle. For example all I have to do to add a new cargo to all the flatbed trucks is put the 8bpp .pngs for the cargo (drawn to the correct templates) in the correct folders and the scripts will assemble all the different vehicle sprites and nfo code...

The example below should make what I mean a bit more clear. These are the graphics which stack together to produce the 5th generation flatbed truck fully loaded with wood. Starting at the bottom is the background sprite shapes/magic blue, followed by the lower layer of the truck cab graphics, followed by the lower layer of the flatbed graphics, followed by the third loading stage of wood, followed by the upper layer of the flatbed graphics and finally the upper layer of the truck cab graphics...
Attachments
LayeringDemo2.png
LayeringDemo2.png (3.95 KiB) Viewed 15908 times
Last edited by Zephyris on 28 Jun 2012 09:55, edited 4 times in total.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: "Pimp My Sprites" - eGRVTS

Post by Zephyris »

Task 1: Truck cabs

These are the cabs which are assembled with different "tails" (e.g. flatbed/bulk hopper/tank/etc.) to produce the various generations of trucks. There are 19 sets of graphics:
* C1: Horse drawn carriage (short)
* E1-4: Modern express diesel trucks
* N1-6: Modern normal diesel trucks
* ON1-3: Old (short) diesel/petrol trucks
* S1-3: Steam lorrys
The current sprites are included in the .zip.

The sprites are arranged with the 8 sprites for the lower graphics layer on the left and the 8 sprites for the upper graphics layer on the right (see the first post to understand how these two layers are used). I have attached the second generation normal diesel truck sprites as an example...

I challenge anyone to pimp these sprites!

*edit* So you can test out your new creations I have also attached the long (for E1-4, N1-6 & S1-3) and short (for C1 & ON1-3) box sprites for your layering pleasure...
Attachments
TruckCabs.zip
(27.83 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
N2.png
N2.png (1.51 KiB) Viewed 15906 times
BoxEgLongShort.png
BoxEgLongShort.png (1.85 KiB) Viewed 15904 times
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Nice, will you also supply 2cc for the vehicles and realistic names?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Hyronymus wrote:Nice, will you also supply 2cc for the vehicles ...
Yes of course!
Hyronymus wrote:... and realistic names?
Possibly... it would be simple to include via a parameter, though I would need help as I know far too little about real life trucks to give them sensible names myself :)
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

Zephyris, once I sent You some prites of the trucks, couldn't use some of them?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I had totally forgotten about that! I will have a look through my pms...

*edit* Yup found them, I guess that is the N1-5 sorted!
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

I know that it is not something trivial to decide, but are you planning to add realistic acceleration values for all vehicles?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Terkhen wrote:I know that it is not something trivial to decide, but are you planning to add realistic acceleration values for all vehicles?
Yeah, it's about time that I worked those out! I have put the variables into my csv->action0 converter, though I still need to work out what the values should be!

And for those who are interested these are colossal404's sprites for the N1-5 trucks tweaked to fit into my vehicle template... Pretty nice I think!
Attachments
colossal404.zip
(5.64 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
N4.png
N4.png (1.69 KiB) Viewed 15819 times
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

I'd like to ask of can I/we edit the rear lights?
And will the cargoes edited in the next step or they will stay at the current grahics?
Edit: and could the cab's size bigger? It would be nice, especially for the steam trucks.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

colossal404 wrote:I'd like to ask of can I/we edit the rear lights?
Feel free to make any modifications you like... Do some pimpin'!
colossal404 wrote:And will the cargoes edited in the next step or they will stay at the current grahics?
The next step will be to create the new box/flatbed/bulk/refrigerated/armored/etc. graphics (I am working on the ones you have already done as a starting point) and then move onto different cargoes for the flatbed and bulk vehicles, e.g. cars/engineering supplies/lumber/aluminium/etc.
colossal404 wrote:Edit: and could the cab's size bigger? It would be nice, especially for the steam trucks.
I would like to keep the sprite sizes the same, but the cab could extend further back into the vehicle. See the attached image, the cab could take up the turquoise part and the cargo could take up the pink part.
Attachments
SteamTemplate.png
SteamTemplate.png (1.12 KiB) Viewed 15756 times
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

Zephyris wrote:
colossal404 wrote:Edit: and could the cab's size bigger? It would be nice, especially for the steam trucks.
I would like to keep the sprite sizes the same, but the cab could extend further back into the vehicle. See the attached image, the cab could take up the turquoise part and the cargo could take up the pink part.
But if the cabin is not as wide as the box behind it, the result will look crap, see example:
It's just an example, quickly drawn from an express truck.
It's just an example, quickly drawn from an express truck.
exampel.PNG (577 Bytes) Viewed 15747 times
As you can see the box is showing out behind from the cabin, and it's look bad :( So, could it be an option of draw the small box/flatbed/anything behind the steamers?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Yeah, it would definately be possible to use the small flatbed/box/etc. graphics behind the steamer graphics if that would work better. The size of the rear part of the truck is just a column in the .csv info about the vehicles!
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

Another question: can I use non-company coloured parts (I mean some white stripes), or it's neccessary to have everything in 2cc?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Something like the 2CC train set guidelines would be good; i.e. mainly the primary company colour, some secondary company colour, large details in shades of white/grey/black and small details (e.g. lights/numberplates) in other colours... It would also be nice if they could be slightly lighter than the sprites you have made previously.

*edit* Forgot to say that my coding tool is now fully functional except for articulated vehicles...
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

Well, then I try to manage the drawings to these terms, but it would be hard to include both 1st and 2nd company colour on the cab, so I think the 2nd cc won't be used on my drawigs. And otherwise I draw lighter than that sprites, I don't know why I drew them so dark...
Some examples of what I mean about white zones:
Attachments
E1, E2 & E3
E1, E2 & E3
example.png (1.41 KiB) Viewed 15568 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Yeah, that will work nicely!
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

colossal404 has kindly said that he would do some revamping of the cab sprites, therefore the next challenge is:

Task 2: Truck "tails" and trailers

These are the base tail and trailer graphics which are assembled with different cabs to produce the various truck types for each generation. There are 8 truck types:
* Flatbed
* Bulk hopper
* Box/covered
* Armoured
* Refrigerated
* Mail
* Tanker
* Passenger
There are 5 size variants of each; 8 (full length for full length trailers), 6 (for normal trucks), 6T (for shorter trailers), 4 (for short trucks) and 4S (for less tall short trucks). I have attached an eg. of my revamped box/covered sprites.

I am pretty much set with one set of sprites for the flatbed, box, tanker and box tails, but it would be great to have some more graphical variants of each of these... Help with drawing nice passenger, mail, refrigerated and armoured sprites would be nice too!
Attachments
TrailerSize.png
TrailerSize.png (3.71 KiB) Viewed 15338 times
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

Zephyris wrote: * Passenger
Oh... The buses will be drawn this way too? :S
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

colossal404 wrote:
Zephyris wrote: * Passenger
Oh... The buses will be drawn this way too? :S
At the moment yes, in the long run definitely not (though the early buses will probably be drawn this way). I really haven't decided yet, at the moment I am even considering splitting eGRVTS into separate bus, truck and tram sets!
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

I'm coming with my questions again:
1. Are the express trucks will carry only goods, food, valuables/gold/diamond and mail?
2. If yes, are the size of these boxes will be the same?
3. If not what cargoes will be supported over these 4?
Looks like I'm the only one who interested in this set's upgrade :wink:

Return to “Graphics Development”