[UNIV] Truck And Bus Lots [Current Version 0.1]

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

[UNIV] Truck And Bus Lots [Current Version 0.1]

Post by kamnet »

Truck And Bus Lots
current version 0.1

Hoorah! My first NewGRF! Not really, I can't claim much originality in this. The graphics are modified truck and bus station bays from OpenGFX, and the code is slightly modified from RobC's Roofed Lorry Bay and Roofed Bus Bay.

This is just a simple NewGRF that removes the walls, fences and buildings from the truck and bus station bays so that you have an open lot. Why would somebody do this? Because I tend to play with a lot of NewGRFs that offer buildings such as Industrial Station Renewal, and the walled-off / fenced-off stations just do not look as good with them, in my opinion. They now appear to be part of a large, flat lot with multiple parking spaces.
Attachments
Trucks waiting at a factory to be loaded with goods from a loading dock and gantry cranes.
Trucks waiting at a factory to be loaded with goods from a loading dock and gantry cranes.
sc1.png (75.27 KiB) Viewed 12448 times
Buses coming and going from a busy suburban bus station.
Buses coming and going from a busy suburban bus station.
sc2.png (37.74 KiB) Viewed 12448 times
truckbuslot.tar
(25.5 KiB) Downloaded 1155 times
Last edited by kamnet on 03 Jan 2011 07:33, edited 1 time in total.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Truck And Bus Lots

Post by Zephyris »

Looks like a neat and tidy implementation of a simple but good idea, great work! I hope we can see more graphics from you in the future :)
Timmaexx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timmaexx »

:D I'm surprised, that nobody else did that before!
Thank you very much and I'm awaiing the enxt releases ;)
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

What a neat idea
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Might look better with at least a little bit of platform around/behind the parking spaces though.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

oberhümer wrote:Might look better with at least a little bit of platform around/behind the parking spaces though.
If I can ever get my head around the code, I'd eventually like to be able to set parameters that enable/disable the display of the walls & structures, or offer alternate graphics for both. Or maybe offer asphalt from other road sets.
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Indeed a very good idea... :))
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I like this idea.

Before I go to use it, does it replace the default drive-in stations, or can it exist alongside the default ones. I am not sure if more new bus stations is possible yet, but that would be nice.

In most of my games, drive in stations are only used for major bus route hubs, and putting a small train station non track building next to this kind of station, would be most realistic. Sort of like the old Greyhound stops from the 1940s and before.
Without Trains America Stops

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

It only replaces the two-bay truck/lorry and bus terminals. The drive-thru stations are not replaced.

If I ever get time, I may expand on this by providing alternate graphics to go over the lots to create the effect of garages or other covered areas where vehicles would park while being loaded. Or perhaps station tiles with similar graphics that hang over the empty lots.
Sensation Lover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Sensation Lover »

I think this grf together with another one i saw here (recently released), can't remember the name sorry, but it's regarding the fences, can give a nice eyecandy look to the game. i mean that, with this one you can create a big bus terminal (e.g. 3x1) and put the fences around it so it can realy gain a bus terminal graphics. Maybe if somebody understand my idea can place some pics with the permission and credits to the grfs authors.
Anyway, kamnet, nice job and thanks!

edit: found it, it's the "DWE - Station/NewObject tiles" of Dante123
I was in:
Austria,Belgium,Brazil,China,France,Germany,Hungary,Indonesia,Italy,Luxemburg,Malaysia,Mexico,Netherlands,Norway,Panamà,Poland,Romania,
Saudi Arabia,Singapore,Slovenia,Spain,Switzerland,Thailand,U.K.,Ukraine,U.S.A.
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [UNIV] Truck And Bus Lots [Current Version 0.1]

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Been playing with this GRF now for a little while. Works rather well, and looks good as major bus terminals at train stations and airports.

I will have to add some screenshots soon too, but it won't be till at least tonight.

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

My next update I'll be replacing the yellow sprite on the front of the tile with 1CC colors. I'm also looking to obtain permission from a few other road sets to use specific tiles to match them.
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Ooooh, brick surface lot would be very nice for matching the early US road set!

Anyway, I played OTTD for a while, and here is what I came up with:
Three double deck buses in the bus terminal adjacent to the train station. Also seen is the VAST station tiles.
Three double deck buses in the bus terminal adjacent to the train station. Also seen is the VAST station tiles.
rail_bus_teminal.png (75.19 KiB) Viewed 10852 times

Return to “Graphics Releases”