UKRS v3.04 and UKRS industries v2.01 (20th of Jan)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: UKRS v3.04 and UKRS industries v2.01 (20th of Jan)

Post by PikkaBird »

clarklawson wrote:I've seen in other peoples saved games that their wagons have a hold capacity of three times the usual load.
What you're describing sounds like the freight weight multiplier option. It doesn't increase the wagons' capacity, just the weight of the freight, so that you need to use the more powerful locomotives for hill climbing and longer trains.
clarklawson
Engineer
Engineer

Post by clarklawson »

Ah yes that's right, need to figure out how to haul things at different speeds.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Multiple tracks combined with waypoints to point trains on the correct track. Ideally a track is used for one specific speed only, but that's not always very useful in case of low traffic volumes.

Start with one track per direction. When that gets congested, add an extra track and split the trains in two groups, one for the group of slower trains, one for faster trains. As traffic volumes grow, you can add even more tracks. In one of my recent games I have an 8-track (four in each direction) backbone straight across the map. I'm now at a point where even that isn't sufficient so I started to make my trains even longer (14 squares).
OllyG
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OllyG »

Hi,

I've played a couple of games with UKRS, and I'd like to start off by saying this is a fantastic set: my heart fluttered when an InterCity 225 left the depot for the first time!

I have a few suggestions below for additional vehicles to reflect the UK rail timeline, and also which I think would enhance the playability for the set. I'd be interested to hear what PikkaBird and others think. Maybe some ideas for things which could go into Project 1000?

1. There is a disparity in the set between diesel and electric until the Class 91 comes out, which partly reflects UK railway history.
How about adding the Class 87 to the set, introduced in the early 1970s, and giving it 110mph speed? Although 110mph running only started in the 1980s, this would close the speed gap between diesel and electric and give another locomotive to play with until the Class 91.

I'd say the same about the Class 90, although it's great to see this proposed for Project 1000.

2. I think a couple of new generation DMUs and EMUs would enhance the set, as the SuperSprinter and Class 321 do get a bit tired. How about Class 170 or Class 172 (either late 1990s or 2009 introduction date?) for diesel, and Class 350 for EMU (c. 2004/5), as examples? Perhaps these could have slightly lower running costs.

Cheers,

Olly.
SamMacca
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by SamMacca »

Great job on the set, well good.. just a slight problem.. when I fund a new industry, well just a brewery.. its under contruction for years, then it just disapears?
Windhill Railways, 7th Apr 1900.png
Then a year later;
Windhill Railways, 9th Feb 1901.png
There was a brewery there before and I was using it to produce goods, hence the station and trains. Then it shut down for no apparent reason when it was getting good service and producing goods at a high rate. I built another one and its same old.. under construction, vanishes, build another.. etc.

Is there any way to solve this?
ImageImageImage

James Hetfield.. God..
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

I seem to remember discussing this somewhere else... possibly earlier in the thread... anyway...

The currently released version of the set can't handle industries built before 1920 (and not built in the scenario editor or by the map generator).
SamMacca
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by SamMacca »

I seem to remember discussing this somewhere else... possibly earlier in the thread... anyway...

The currently released version of the set can't handle industries built before 1920 (and not built in the scenario editor or by the map generator).
Ahh that explains it then. Guess I'll be waiting 20 years then and build it again, cheers :)
ImageImageImage

James Hetfield.. God..
Hephi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hephi »

Hi,

I noticed when running code to get rail engines that can carry mail
the resulting list will contain a few engines less then it should.

Code: Select all

local engine_list = AIEngineList(AIVehicle.VT_RAIL);
engine_list.Valuate(AIEngine.CanPullCargo,AICargo.CC_MAIL);
engine_list.KeepValue(1);
Engines missing in the returned engine_list when checking in the year 1945
and only those over reliability of 80% at the time are
- NER 'EF1' (electric) freight
- NER 'EE1' (electric) passengers or freight
- 2-6-4 Tank Engine (steam) express passengers or freight

Those engines are listed as being able to carry freight and if I build them
manually they cause no problems, it's only the CanPullCargo that acts up.

By the way, when looking for this thread I discovered UKRS2 so I'll have
a look at that soon. Looking forward to it! :)
--------------------------------------------------
MailAI, a casual postal service for openTTD.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

How is "CanPullCargo" defined? I don't see how it can have anything to do with the text hints.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

It is defined by newgrf. And 2cc had the same problem: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... go#p887465
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

How is "CanPullCargo" defined by newgrf?

How does the AI system work out if "the engine can pull wagons carrying this cargo"?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

PikkaBird wrote:How is "CanPullCargo" defined by newgrf?

How does the AI system work out if "the engine can pull wagons carrying this cargo"?
You have the property 08 AI special flag which allows you to define an engine only suitable for passenger transport. You have no special means to make further distinction, the AIs will have to figure it out themselves by building, and testing a refit, just like human players have to do it, too (except that AIs cannot read any text in the purchase view, thus might need to experiment a bit more). AIs will have a problem with features like the caboose as they have no means to figure out what it does or how to deal with it - unless the author explicitly adds support for that vehicle with that specific newgrf.
Hephi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hephi »

I thought it was just a flag you had to set in the grf file but I guess I was wrong.

My current solution involves hardcoding which is not optimal but it works.
in my main.nut

good_engines = ["2-6-4 Tank Engine (Steam)","NER 'EE1' (Electric)","NER 'EF1' (Electric)",
		"AEI 'AL1' (Electric)","Sulzer 'Type 2' (Diesel)","Wardale '5AT' (Steam)",
		"EE 'AL6' (Electric)","EMD 'Class 67' (Diesel)"];	
I did include CanRefitCargo as I'm planning on moving mail and this gets those engines in the list as well.
in my RouteManager.nut

function RouteManager::CanPullCargo(engine,cargo)
{
	if(AIEngine.CanPullCargo(engine,cargo))
	{
		return 1;	
	}
	if(AIEngine.CanRefitCargo(engine,cargo))
	{
		return 1;	
	}
	foreach(name in MailAI.good_engines)
	{
		if(name == AIEngine.GetName(engine))
		{
			return 1;	
		}	
	}
	return 0;
}
So now I just call

engine_list.Valuate(RouteManager.CanPullCargo,AICargo.CC_MAIL);
engine_list.KeepValue(1);

Results are good so far. This does not mean checking to see if wagons can get attached to the
engine is not necessary. A Costar 'Century' (Fuel Cell) will refuse to pull a Covered Carriage Truck
for example (and he's right because it will slow him down from 150mph to 80mph :))
MailAI, a casual postal service for openTTD.
sadsack5000
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sadsack5000 »

Hello Pikka, i tried your links on the first page but both are broken. Can you advise on working links please? Id really like to try your UKRS v3

P.s. on the "check online content" in game there is UK Revival Set (UKRS3) which i presumed wasnt the same so didnt install

Best regards
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

UKRS1 v3.04 is "UK Renewal Set" in the in-game content download. Do try the UK Revival Set though, it's in active development and I'd welcome feedback. :)
sadsack5000
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sadsack5000 »

Oh yes i see it on the online content now thanks, i'll give it a try and also the revival set

Cheers, i already know its going to be great since i enjoyed the two previous versions you released. Great work in advance!! (im proper nostalgic over UK trains since my youth)
sadsack5000
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sadsack5000 »

Daft question but how come the train names are slightly different from reality? e.g. the SH 125 instead of InterCity 125 etc..
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

sadsack5000 wrote:Daft question but how come the train names are slightly different from reality? e.g. the SH 125 instead of InterCity 125 etc..
The "SH 125" is an original TTD vehicle, or comes from some other newgrf. Said vehicle is called "BR HST" in UKRS1 and 2, and "InterCity 125" in UKRS3.
i enjoyed the two previous versions you released.
This post is about v3.04 of UKRS1. The post and the grf are over 12 years old.

Return to “Graphics Development”