OpenTTD zoom on large monitor with Windows 7 magnifier

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Tyr Antilles
Engineer
Engineer

OpenTTD zoom on large monitor with Windows 7 magnifier

Post by Tyr Antilles »

One of the things that troubled me with this awesome game was the very small graphic because of low dotpitch of today's LCD monitors. An advantage is that you can see a big area of the map at once, but all graphics are very very tiny. I prefer a closer zoom to read the text easier and enjoy the view of my vehicles without killing my eyes.

If you have a large LCD monitor (recommended over 22") you might want to see the game window on entire screen with large text, all without losing quality and without running on fullscreen on lower resolution. This can be done quickly if you have Windows 7, using the Magnifier tool.

- Start the game window and set it at 640x480 (windowed mode).
- Start Win7 Magnifier from Ease of Access and set it at 200% (this will virtually double all pixels).
- Using magnifier on "Follow mouse pointer" mode, drag your game window to the screen.
- To keep the magnified area on a fixed position, uncheck from options "Follow mouse pointer" and check "Have magnifier follow the text insertion point". Now drag your game window and stretch it to fit your screen (see the attachement - my 22" LCD with 1680x1050 resolution). OpenTTD will remember the last used window size, so, you need to do this only once.
- This is it. You can minimize now the magnifier and when you need to bring it back use ALT+TAB.
Attachments
Example 1680x1050.png
OpenTTD on background and magnifier options.
(654.11 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by Tyr Antilles on 28 Nov 2010 03:22, edited 1 time in total.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: OpenTTD zoom on large monitor with Windows 7 magnifier

Post by Zuu »

I haven't tried this out, but it sounds like something that could be useful for those on Windows 7 that might need it. Perhaps you can add this to the wiki as well? On this page there is some other documentation regarding problem to read the small interface. Perhaps this is a good place to add this tip, either as whole or a link to some other place where it is explained to not take up too much room in the FAQ-section.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Tyr Antilles
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenTTD zoom on large monitor with Windows 7 magnifier

Post by Tyr Antilles »

Thank you for your suggestion, I did that. Also I tried this thing on Windows XP as well, but the magnifier on XP is different and it can't be used like that. I don't know about Vista.

Return to “General OpenTTD”