Finished graphics (Archived Posts)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

troopper5
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by troopper5 »

So, if loadallgraphics is on, this undos what Shadow said?
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

No, the dbset and tempset will never be loaded at the same time. Whichever is loaded first wins, and the other turns itself off. This is built into the .grf files though, so at the moment only those two do that.

Once the USSR set is released, the arcticset will have to be modified to turn itself off when the USSR set is released, and vice versa.
troopper5
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by troopper5 »

Hmm, if i now got it right;

When you have installed DB set, Temperate set stops working until you remove entry of the DB set?

And same thing with USSR and arctic?
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

It's not that one stops the other working, it's that whichever comes first in the newgrf.cfg file is the one that wins out of that pair. And the USSR set doesn't exist yet, that was just a theoretical example...
troopper5
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by troopper5 »

Oh, i haven't known that... I already wondered why my DB set wasn't working... :oops:
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

And then if you go back to the saved game, it remembers which GRFs to use and loads them up? Great!
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

krtaylor wrote:And then if you go back to the saved game, it remembers which GRFs to use and loads them up? Great!
Yes, but only if they're still in the newgrf.cfg file of course. And this only works if "loadallgraphics" is off, and "saveoptionaldata" is on.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Which are the defaults, I think, or at least the advised settings. Sounds great to me. The only improvement would be a switcher in the game, at the start screen, to select from the available choices. Is there any liberty in programming the start screen?
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Actually loadallgraphics is on by default, so that people can get the new graphics into existing games by default. I'm not actually sure if that's a good idea now... but my reasoning was that the people who would switch graphics from one game to the next would know what they're doing anyway.

I'm still thinking about how to implement an in-game selection of graphics, but that's one of the toughest things that can be done... making a new user interface is extremely difficult.
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

Patchman wrote: I'm still thinking about how to implement an in-game selection of graphics, but that's one of the toughest things that can be done... making a new user interface is extremely difficult.
You shouldn't waste time in that. Why someone would wwant to chage graphics while runing game? Graphics should be enabled and disabled with the GRF Manager only. (Until TTDX Configurator adds such feature... :P )
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Andrex wrote:
Patchman wrote: I'm still thinking about how to implement an in-game selection of graphics, but that's one of the toughest things that can be done... making a new user interface is extremely difficult.
You shouldn't waste time in that. Why someone would wwant to chage graphics while runing game? Graphics should be enabled and disabled with the GRF Manager only. (Until TTDX Configurator adds such feature... :P )
oh no :( , why can't you add even direct link to zip to download it, and a menu Tools that allow user to have 'shortcuts' from TTDXC to other programs (liek GM, TTDAlter, TTDXedit, etc)
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

Andrex wrote: ....
Graphics should be enabled and disabled with the GRF Manager only

You forgot the simplest enabler/disabler: wordpad ^_^ It's what I use...
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

No, no... the idea here is to fix it so that it is easy to use and doesn't require understanding of the technical details, and so that it SEEMS like one game rather than a whole bunch of different utilities. Mybe the right way to do it is to kind of build the GRF Manager into the Patch, so when you start the game using the Patch, you get an extended GRF Manager that looks kind of like a large startup screen - where you can directly select a saved game (which will automatically load whatever GRFs it needs), or for a new game, select an environment (from the original 4, or new ones like Night, Mars, etc) and whatever apporpriate trainsets for it there may be (DB or MB Temperate for Temperate, USSR or MB Arctic for Arctic, etc.). From dropdowns, with new entries added to the dropdowns as they're added to newgrfs.
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

krtaylor wrote:No, no... the idea here is to fix it so that it is easy to use and doesn't require understanding of the technical details, and so that it SEEMS like one game rather than a whole bunch of different utilities. Mybe the right way to do it is to kind of build the GRF Manager into the Patch, so when you start the game using the Patch, you get an extended GRF Manager that looks kind of like a large startup screen - where you can directly select a saved game (which will automatically load whatever GRFs it needs), or for a new game, select an environment (from the original 4, or new ones like Night, Mars, etc) and whatever apporpriate trainsets for it there may be (DB or MB Temperate for Temperate, USSR or MB Arctic for Arctic, etc.). From dropdowns, with new entries added to the dropdowns as they're added to newgrfs.
It totally disagree. Such feature will create more possibilities for the patch to crash, and the patch developers should keep working in stabilizing the current beta versions, and release a stable one with the actual features. I must add that since the graphic sets are updated more or less frequently, this will make very hard to track and fix errors in the patch. And I still use the alpha 1.9.1, another reason why I dislike the addition of new features in the latests betas.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Well, that's why this is a Forum - everybody can say what they think. Of course whatever the Patch developers do, we will be grateful for.

What I like about making new graphics easier, is because it lets more people contribute. Very few people have the skills necessary to work on the Patch. More have the ability to work on trainsets or other vehicles, and such. You are right that additional flexibility would add more bug potential, but it would seem not to be too great - after all, the Patch is already able to handle new graphics, and with the latest version, deal with savegames that have differing graphics requirements. All that's left is an integrated way to pick them, which basically the GM program does, it's just tying it into the startup is all I think.
G-Klav
Chairman
Chairman

Post by G-Klav »

Andrex wrote: (...)
And I still use the alpha 1.9.1, another reason why I dislike the addition of new features in the latests betas.
May I ask why :?:
G-Klav

Note: my avatar is best viewed with the 'silver' scheme on the forums.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Because in his opinion the current beta's are too unstable. But I don't quite get your reasoning though, Andrex. There have been many expansions to the patch but they are still optional. SO I say you can use 2.0 and just select what you do like.
Endre
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Endre »

Has anyone seen what Dinges'/Marcel's site is showing? It says it's down...What's the new site?
Indivisibiliter ac inseparabiliter
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Endre wrote:Has anyone seen what Dinges'/Marcel's site is showing? It says it's down...What's the new site?
check topic about his site :roll:
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Dinges
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Dinges »

Endre wrote:Has anyone seen what Dinges'/Marcel's site is showing? It says it's down...What's the new site?
I still see the old site, can't get the new server to work, maybe it takes a while before everything is changed...

Right now I'm uploading the site at another server, if it is done I'll send you the adress
Dinges

Who is the other person in me?

my Blog (dutch) - my Last.fm profile

Owner of http://ttdgraphics.cjb.net/ ! Temp addr: http://ttdgraphics.owenrudge.com/

Return to “Graphics Development”