Spanish translation of OpenTTD

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Spanish translation of OpenTTD

Post by Terkhen »

In preparation for the release of OpenTTD 1.0.0, I want to get the spanish translation as correct as possible. For this task, I need your comments and feedback. Play with latest nightly to test the current translation (it contains a lot of corrections not included at the latest beta), and post any mistakes you find, any terms that are not translated using the same word in every string or, in general, any suggestions on how to make the translation better.

Thank you!

Edit: Note that these forums are English only, so the discussion in this thread must be kept on English. If you are more confortable doing suggestions in Spanish, you can send me a private message or an email.
Last edited by Terkhen on 30 Sep 2010 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
Luigix
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Spanish translation of OpenTTD

Post by Luigix »

Replace "motor" by "máquina".

Hello...
I write this message in Spanish because I think that will be better understood:

Hola, acabo de ver este post, que aunque es un poco antiguo me parece interesante rescartar...
Iré poniendo aquí los fallos que vea de traducción.

De momento, uno que siempre me ha chocado mucho:
¿Se podría cambiar la palabra "motor" (cuando se refiere a una "máquina se tren" o "locomotora") por "máquina" o "máquina de tren" (qué es el término más usado en español)?

Otras opciones sería cambiarlo por "locomotora" o incluso "máquina tractora" o "unidad de tracción" (aunque estas dos últimas a mi no me gustan).

Ya sé que se usaba "motor" en la versión original de TTD, pero creo que causa un poco de confusión puesto que no se suele usar en español para referirse a las locomotoras sino a un componente de las mismas.

-saludos-
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Luigix wrote:I write this message in Spanish because I think that will be better understood:
Please don't. These forums are English only because it's a language everyone here understands. If you want to contribute to the Spanish translation and want to do that in Spanish I suggest you pm Terkhen. A public discussion in English would probably be better.
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

translator says (really badly no doubt)
Google Translate wrote:Hi, I just saw this post, which is a bit old but I find it interesting rescartar ...
I'll post here the bugs you see translation.

At the moment, one that always struck me much:
Could you change the word "motor" (when referring to a "machine train" or "locomotive") and "machine" or "railway locomotive" (which is the term most used in Spanish)?

Other options would be changed to "locomotive" or "tractor unit" or "power unit" (though the latter two I do not like).

I know it was used "motor" in the original version of TTD, but I think it causes some confusion because it is not commonly used in Spanish to refer to locomotives but a component thereof.

"Greetings
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

The term that is currently being used at the Spanish translation for trains is "locomotora". "Motor" is only used in strings where the term "engine" is being used for all vehicle types, not only trains. "Motor" does not sound right even in this case, though. I think that "vehículo" would be a good replacement for these uses.
Luigix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Luigix »

(¡hala! ¡ya me han reñido!) (:cry: halloo! they have given me an ear about it!)
---
1)
At the window "Reemplazar tren" bottom left it appear "Reemplazando: motores/vagones" this is not correct.
The right thing is to appear "Reemplazando: locomotoras/vagones" or "Reemplazando: máquinas/vagones".
[STR_REPLACE_ENGINE_WAGON_SELECT] = {BLACK}Reemplazando: {ORANGE}{STRING}
---
2)
[STR_TOOLBAR_TOOLTIP_BUILD_RAILROAD_TRACK] = {BLACK}Construir raíles (<??)
Its more correct "Construir ferrocarriles"
---
3)
STR_REPLACE_RAIL_VEHICLES = Vehículos de Raíl (<-¿esoqueehloqueéh?)
"Vehiculos de raíl" in spanish does not exist, its "Vehículos de ferrocarril"
(raíl=track) (ferrocarril=railway)
---
4)
STR_REPLACE_ELRAIL_VEHICLES = Vehículos de Rail Eléctrico (this is not correct.)
Its "Vehículos de ferrocarril eléctrico"
---
5)
STR_BUY_VEHICLE_TRAIN_RAIL_CAPTION = Nuevos vehículos de raíl
Its "Nuevos vehículos de ferrocarril"
---
6)
STR_BUY_VEHICLE_TRAIN_ALL_CAPTION = Vehículos de Rail
Its "Vehículos de ferrocarril"
Last edited by Luigix on 02 Oct 2010 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
Luigix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Luigix »

At de window "Opciones avanzadas"

STR_CONFIG_SETTING_DEFAULT_RAIL_TYPE = Raíl por defecto (juego nuevo/cargar juego) (its no correct)
its Ferrocarril por defecto (juego nuevo/cargar juego)

STR_CONFIG_SETTING_DISABLE_ELRAILS = Desactivar raíles eléctricos (its no correct)
its "Desactivar ferrocarriles eléctricos"

STR_CONFIG_SETTING_PLANE_CRASHES
Cantidad de aviones estrellados = ninguno/reducidos/normal (its no correct)
because of grammatical agreement (concordancia gramatical):
"Cantidad" is a feminine singular noun (nombre femenino singular)
its "Cantidad de aviones estrellados = ninguna/reducida/normal" (in feminine singular)

Note: "raíl" in spanish is a track, only a track (each one of the metallic bars, where the wheels of trains moving), never is a "rail" or a "railway" or a "railroad"

Use of capital letters: (Uso de mayúsculas): Brief normative (in spanish)
The rules are different for Spanish and English:
*Use only the case at the beginning of a sentence, never in between. (Its correct "Guardar juego". Its not correct "Guardar Juego")
*Use capitalization at the beginning of proper names..
*All other times use MINUSCULES.
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

I guess "Raíl" was used back then to shorten strings, because they could be truncated if the did not fit in their widget. After the changes to the GUI this is not required anymore. I remember replacing a bunch of them a few months ago, now every instance should show up as "Ferrocarril".

The capitalization of the translation obeys the scheme of the english translation, even if it is not correct (it is not correct in English either). For example: window titles go in caps.

I agree with every other suggested change; they will show up in tomorrow's nightly.

Edit: Have you tought about becoming a translator? It should be no problem as long as we agree about common terms, style and so on.
Luigix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Luigix »

I find it interesting, but not now, maybe later ...
I prefer to work through this forum, but I appreciate the proposal.
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

I have made a big update to the translation to use genders in some places (which means no more "Nuevo Mina de Carbón en..."). These changes will appear in a few hours in today's nightly. Please post here if you find any missing cases in which gender could be used, or a mistake in any part of the translation.
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Many shiny new features have made their way into trunk lately, and the next beta is coming. This means that your chance to spot and report translation errors in nightlies is now. Don't be shy :P

Return to “General OpenTTD”