Station inside tunnel?

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Station inside tunnel?

Post by DJ Nekkid »

Gremnon wrote:NuTracks, specifically, which is probably about the closest it's possible to get.
Exactly :D
Member of the
ImageImage
doener
Engineer
Engineer

Post by doener »

replacing some grf files is not that what i actually mean.
i want not stations looking like subway stations. I want to be able to build tunnels and convert it into a train station.
we can make the train to stop on the tunnel exit tile to be able to select it in the station.

and the next would be to include some curves in tunnels, it cant be that hard to implement it. if we make it only possible to build it in 2 directions with a direkt longcorner behind the tunnel entrace.

and what we get ist a Openttd style subway feeling without any need for a underground view.
Attachments
Fahrdorf Transport, 16. Mär 1950.png
Fahrdorf Transport, 16. Mär 1950.png (35.23 KiB) Viewed 3472 times
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

doener wrote:it cant be that hard to implement it.
thanks, master, for this insight in your infinite wisdom.

if it isn't so hard, why haven't you done it already?
doener
Engineer
Engineer

Post by doener »

i have actually work with another patch. also have to study. But i think its the next patch i would like to do. but maybe here is someone who likes this idea like my and will do it first.

@EDDI if you know thats its hard to impelemt tell us what the problem is and we can start thinking about the problem here.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

there have been plenty of discussions about this. start searching for "custom bridge heads", i suggest.
doener
Engineer
Engineer

Post by doener »

bridges are a totally different thing. tunnels should be easyer, no new grafiks etc needed, just a lot of checks for land tiling and tunnel in way etc.
tunnel cost... a obtion to select the tunnel direktion for the gui.
but i did'n look so deep into it.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

if you neglect the graphics and GUI, bridges and tunnels are (internally) the exact same thing. and that's the stuff that matters.
sunshare
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by sunshare »

In what state is this idea?

It would be good to implement.
At a higher level of the tunnel, normally the city is built.

The station may be somewhat camouflaged between the two tunnels, and have some building up, instead of a normal station canopy.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Wow, what a dig. I had forgotten I even suggested it. *pats self on back*

Well, essentially somebody did kinda do this. The Underground Levels patch doesn't quite implement the idea that I had, but it does create an underground level which sits somewhere below height level 1. If you build a station below ground, you can link to a station above ground. However, vehicles cannot transition between the above-ground and below-ground layers. The underground level is essentially an entirely different world. It was interesting, but not very stable, and when the devs didn't immediately take it up the author abandoned it.

Closest thing we'll have right now is implementing a rail station set that has buildings or ground cover above it, such as with older version of DJ Nekid's NuTracks or FreakNL's Subway Station Disguised as Parks NewGRF sets.
sunshare
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by sunshare »

Stations that you mention are well made, but would fail varied buildings up that can camouflage best in town.

I still think you do not need to make a patch, just raise the floor two levels (or tiles up) and build the city at that elevation can be played with the lower level and build tunnels normal game. That would have to see how to build a set of stations that can cammufalrse well between tunnels and buildings have also mixed in the city and fits well.
TopTechDreamer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TopTechDreamer »

:!: This suggestions is SUCCESSFULLY IMPLEMENTED now (as prototype) - this is TopTechDreams patchpack:
description and files to DOWNLOAD :!: (executable files for MS Windows and for Android + set of modified source-code files) are in the topic
IMPLEMENTED some suggestions - Independence day of Ukraine 20190824 release ( viewtopic.php?f=32&t=85845 ).
Descriptions (there) include "How to use?" and about some restrictions.
Be happy. :)

Image Image

test test 3.2 for screenshots 2106-02-22, -04-24, 2106-05-22.sav

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”