Kamnet's Sprite Sandbox

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

Kamnet's Sprite Sandbox

Post by kamnet »

So, in the spirit of trying to be a more productive member of this community, I've had a lot of ideas floating around in my head about what I'd like to see, particularly with the graphics. I'd like to see them come to light, but truth of the matter is that I don't have any talent as a pixel artist. I'd love to inspire those who can draw to flesh out my ideas, but there's plenty of people who can talk up ideas, few people who can draw, and those artists are generally tied up in massive projects of their own that will leave their legacy on this project and they have no time for sleep, family life or work let alone finishing their own project. If you can't finish it yourself, abandon all hope.

Well, maybe not all hope. So I'll throw this out here and see if anybody wants to run with it. If I can start getting some basic pixels, would anybody be interested in fleshing them out to a finished product? I'd be very happy if we could keep this all public domain so that everybody can benefit, put them into NewGRFs (which I can't code, because I suck at that too! But I'm trying!), or use it to make something better.

SPRITES IN DEVELOPMENT
  • Lift-Gate Dam / Hydroelectric Dam v1 | v2 | v3
  • Heljan Container Terminal sprites
SPRITES RELEASED
Last edited by kamnet on 22 Nov 2018 03:59, edited 10 times in total.
kamnet

PROJECT: 1-Tile Dam/Hydrodam

Post by kamnet »

My first sprite I've started working on is a one-tile dam or hydroelectric dam. This is inspired by some of the locks and dams I've recently seen placed on the Ohio River. These dams are roughly 25-50 feet high and are used to create long stretches of navigable river deep enough to accommodate commercial traffic.

Here's my version sofar. And, yes, it sucks. :D No real attempt at shading, I can't draw a straight line to save my life, but I think it kinda-sorta represents what I'd like to see. As-drawn it looks more like a lift-gate dam, but maybe if it can be animated with some water running over the top it can look like a hydroelectric dam? Hopefully this will complement the in-game river lock graphic.
Attachments
hydrodam.png
hydrodam.png (2.57 KiB) Viewed 24604 times
hydrodam.pcx
(2.58 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Kamnet's Graphics That Really Suck!

Post by planetmaker »

Hm, interesting. I just recently thought about making use of all those un-used features which concern rivers and canals in OpenTTD:
http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... ion0Canals
http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... ion2Canals

I've no idea so far how all those action0 are to be understood and interpreted, but it'd be interesting to see. On the other hand it'd make IMHO sense to re-work this whole thing slightly to a kind of river types (which just over-draws the ground) before it starts to become utilized...
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

For a starter.. that's a good image Kamnet. Keep it up :)
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

It is nice thing but where it is supposed to be placed?
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Kogut wrote:It is nice thing but where it is supposed to be placed?
hydrodam-screen.png
hydrodam-screen.png (39.93 KiB) Viewed 24548 times
Photoshopped. Actually, that's a pretty good guesstimate on the scale considering I didn't even bring up the lock to compare it to when I created it. Top of the dams probably need to be several pixels higher. And with that much space available, you could create this as a lift-gate dam with space at the top for the support structures for the gate.
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

LOL Excellent work! :))

I'm just wondering how many of us are working - or intend to work - on dams... :mrgreen:
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

When SAC says she may intend to work on dams, does this mean that in the future a screenshot will appear in your thread of a land filled with various dams, waterfalls, springs ? :P
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I actually made the suggestion to SAC a few months ago about creating a dam. She said she'd consider it but couldn't fit it into her current development schedule. Originally when I was thinking of dams I was thinking of large gravity dams such as Hoover Dam. These smaller damns just happened to catch my attention today and I figured I'd give it a go.

Speaking of which, here's another revision. I realized why I was so frustrated the first time around, it's because I was trying to use Paint.Net for pixel editing and it really isn't suited for that at all. I dug up good 'ol MS Paint and gave that a spin, I think that resolved most of my issues. Gave a little follow-up in Paint.Net to add the water graphics.
hydrodam-screen2.png
hydrodam-screen2.png (18.33 KiB) Viewed 24503 times
Attachments
hydrodam-2.png
hydrodam-2.png (1.55 KiB) Viewed 24503 times
hydrodam-2.pcx
(2.04 KiB) Downloaded 674 times
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

I wonder is it possible to put it into openttd :? Not as railway station tile, eyecandy objects are impossible (yet?)...
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Hey, those sprites aren't bad at all. You got the scale and isometric view correct, which is a very important base =P
Detailing and shading is just the next step :) Keep up the good work!
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

After some sleep here's a third try at it (thanks for the encouragement. BTW feel free to jump in and just finish this off if you get the urge 8) )
hydrodam-screen3.png
hydrodam-screen3.png (18.56 KiB) Viewed 24422 times
Attachments
hydrodam-3.png
hydrodam-3.png (1.57 KiB) Viewed 24420 times
hydrodam-3.pcx
(2.17 KiB) Downloaded 657 times
el koeno
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by el koeno »

Time to change your thread title, I'd say. :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Kogut wrote:I wonder is it possible to put it into openttd :? Not as railway station tile, eyecandy objects are impossible (yet?)...
I don't see how you could put it into OTTD right now. Station tiles can only be placed on flat ground, this sprite covers a slope instead. And it would have to be tied to the water tiles for it to look correct, otherwise you'll get the concrete edges from the water tiles appearing. It could probably be added into TTDX's NewObjects.
el koeno wrote:Time to change your thread title, I'd say. :)
Kamnet's Graphics that Suck, But Less!

:?:
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

kamnet wrote: Station tiles can only be placed on flat ground
Nope. Since ages in TTDPatch (and since somewhere in january in OTTD) it´s possible to place them on slopes as well (track and slope in parallel, o/c). See e.g. this thread for screenshots

Apart from this, "objects" shouldn´t be coded as railway stations from obvious reasons.
kamnet wrote: It could probably be added into TTDX's NewObjects.
NewObjects would be the best choice, indeed.

I´ve already been working on a collection of newobjects in the past, and I´m currently reviving it now that TTDPatch development of newobjects got a new impetus. Weirs (height level difference = 1) and dams (height level difference = 2) will be included (there were already single tile weirs for rivers), among other things. I´ll show some screenshots when implemented (soon).

regards
Michael
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

el koeno wrote:Time to change your thread title, I'd say. :)
Yeah, couldn't agree more! This are professional work indeed... :))
kamnet wrote:
Kogut wrote:I wonder is it possible to put it into openttd :? Not as railway station tile, eyecandy objects are impossible (yet?)...
I don't see how you could put it into OTTD right now. Station tiles can only be placed on flat ground, this sprite covers a slope instead. And it would have to be tied to the water tiles for it to look correct, otherwise you'll get the concrete edges from the water tiles appearing. It could probably be added into TTDX's NewObjects.
They certainly can! Into TTDP's New Objects feature I mean!

FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Or replace the sloped river tiles with this dam.

A larger dam could work fine as Object. Or maybe even as industry. Imagine a hydro-electric dam accepting water :P
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

FooBar wrote:Or replace the sloped river tiles with this dam.
I had such tiles for rivers, though they never got released. IIRC, this was due to lacking randomisation for river water tiles back then.

W/r to newobjects, I´ve been thinking about "integration" of special newobject water tiles with river/canal tiles. Unfortunately, it didn´t seem possible to overbuild e.g. a river slope with a newobject tile. I´ll have to see what´s possible now.
FooBar wrote: Imagine a hydro-electric dam accepting water :P
Delivered by tank waggons ... good thing is that we don´t need electricity in game. :P

regards
Michael
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

michael blunck wrote: ...delivered by tank waggons ... good thing is that we don´t need electricity in game. :P

regards
Michael
But it would have been a nice challenge, making sure everything is powered up... :mrgreen:

michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

[OT]
SAC wrote:it would have been a nice challenge, making sure everything is powered up... :mrgreen:
Simutrans has this feature.

regards
Michael

Return to “Graphics Development”