Modification of addition "DB Set XL"

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Johann
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Modification of addition "DB Set XL"

Post by Johann »

So I understand, that there is a chance for a new updates extension "DBXL FIRS&ECS" compatible with TTDPatch.
(I ask because I have a problem the correct configuration OTTD, ttdpatch is easier to use).
Please provide a link in the case new versions of files
And another question whether "dbxl_firs" it will have ability to configure
individual parameters such as for example:
a) new track parameter: 1 original TTDPatch track parameter: 0
b) new electric catenary parameter: 1 original electric TTDPatch catenary parameter: 0
c) locomotive always on the front of the train parameter: 1 locomotive function takes the latest train wagon parameter: 0

newgrfw/dbxl_firs.grf 1 1 0
<Postscript>
Person responsible for the current versions of TTDPatch is: "JGR Chief Executive"
Regards Johann
Last edited by Johann on 10 Jul 2010 10:41, edited 3 times in total.
adam351
Engineer
Engineer

Post by adam351 »

I had similar thoughts to what the wrote user Johann

http://www.ttdpatch.net/newgrf.html "DB Set XL (v0.82) last update May 10 2005" - Nothing New
http://www.ewetel.net/~michael.blunck/ttd message content: "Fehler 404" - Page Unavailable

Now that have been created new version "DB Set XL v0.82 FIRS extension" I was hoping that it will work nicely
and now I see that, the full compatibility it's necessary still little time. By the way I'm curious whether this version of the graphics has adequate group of cargo going beyond system ECS. I still think, that the most similar graphics version of industry, which resemble those in the game tycoon is a:
Attachments:
Comment: GRFID: CF6F8C10
pikkindw_modified.grf http://www.tt-forums.net/download/file.php?id=107490 [322.52 KiB]
Downloaded 52 times
Comment: GRFID: CF6F8C11
pikbrikw_modified.grf http://www.tt-forums.net/download/file.php?id=107491 [88.83 KiB]
Downloaded 38 times
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

@Johann, adam351

The DBXL FIRS extension will not work for TTDPatch, simply because the FIRS newgrf claims to be incompatible with TTDPatch. (I didn´t check this in detail, though).

regards
Michael
Johann
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Johann »

(I didn´t check this in detail, though)
No it can not be true ... I lost the meaning of life ImageImageImage
Please take care of this project again

Regards Joahnn
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

michael blunck wrote:... simply because the FIRS newgrf claims to be incompatible with TTDPatch ...
It seems that when one designs GRF's and cargoes initially for TTDPatch, folks have no problem expanding these sets to take advantage of OTTD's extended features. Unfortunately, this does not seem to work in the other direction. For some reason nobody seems to have found a way take an initially OTTD GRF and pare it down to accommodate TTDPatch. Hence the incompatibilities. :roll:
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

wallyweb wrote: For some reason nobody seems to have found a way take an initially OTTD GRF and pare it down to accommodate TTDPatch.
IMO, making kind of a "subset" working for TTDPatch would be possible in almost any case. What I´ve learned from making the DBXL FIRS extension I´d say that particular set should be get to work under TTDpatch too, although I havent´t taken a look into it until now, just from the number of cargoes (and industries) used.

Making a set for "OTTD only" seems to be sort of a "statement" nowadays, not because of any technical limitation, mostly.

Nevertheless, because FIRS seems to be under the GPL, it should be possible to make a release for TTDPatch by third parties.

regards
Michael
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

michael blunck wrote:Making a set for "OTTD only" seems to be sort of a "statement" nowadays, not because of any technical limitation, mostly.
And in at least one case (swedishrails) it's due to complete lack of response of TTDPatch bug reports (here). The code has everything needed for TTDPatch support, so the work has been done. You can't keep blaming the grf authors if there is no help at all in case of bugs in the ttdpatch code. I can't say much about other sets, but I suspect it's simply because there are more people using OpenTTD nowadays and they either can't be bothered or are not able to test their sets properly in ttdpatch.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Yexo wrote:And in at least one case (swedishrails) it's due to complete lack of response of TTDPatch bug reports (here).
As it´s the case with OTTD (flyspray), TTDPatch has a bug tracker as well. Now I´m aware of that post, I´ll talk to a developer about it, just in case none of them did see it here.

regards
Michael
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

michael blunck wrote:Nevertheless, because FIRS seems to be under the GPL, it should be possible to make a release for TTDPatch by third parties.
A bit off-topic, but I can't help to respond to this...

A FIRS version for TTDPatch is certainly possible, especially with a little help of the "economies" feature. This feature allows the user to select (via parameter) a certain predefined subset of cargoes and industries. The biggest problem with FIRS and TTDPatch is that FIRS has way more industries and cargoes than TTDPatch allows. With help of the economies feature, a smaller selection can be made that is suitable for games in TTDPatch. Andy and I always kept the door for a TTDPatch version open, however we will not look into that until we reach a full-featured stable release. I do not recommend forking the set at this point, as it will be very annoying to maintain that due to future changes and additions.

Having that said, FIRS uses some features that are OpenTTD-only (from the top of my head: clustering of industries and reading data from stack in the fund industry menu; there might be more). These features should be safeguarded when FIRS is loaded in TTDPatch.

When FIRS reaches a stable state, you're more than welcome to discuss what can be done to make FIRS work in TTDPatch.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

FooBar wrote: The biggest problem with FIRS and TTDPatch is that FIRS has way more industries and cargoes than TTDPatch allows.
andythenorth wrote: This is FIRS 0.2 It's a fully playable version containing 37 industries and 26 cargos.
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... dd#p800025
TTDPatch Wiki wrote: maximum number of possible industries is 37 in TTDPatch
http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... Industries
TTDPatch Wiki wrote: The newcargos switch of TTDPatch allows modifying the existing 12 cargos per climate, and allows adding 20 new cargos per climate as well.
http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... ion0Cargos
Anyway, this is going a bit OT here.

regards
Michael
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Yexo wrote:
michael blunck wrote:Making a set for "OTTD only" seems to be sort of a "statement" nowadays, not because of any technical limitation, mostly.
And in at least one case (swedishrails) it's due to complete lack of response of TTDPatch bug reports (here). The code has everything needed for TTDPatch support, so the work has been done. You can't keep blaming the grf authors if there is no help at all in case of bugs in the ttdpatch code. I can't say much about other sets, but I suspect it's simply because there are more people using OpenTTD nowadays and they either can't be bothered or are not able to test their sets properly in ttdpatch.
Imho: It's not easy to fix bugs, TTDPatch isn't maintained much... While I have read your bug report there, I never found out why it crashes really (and the only support I can currently give is simple code reviews) so there wasn't much I can say...

-edit-
Bug Report
http://svn.ttdpatch.net/trac/changeset/2325
Johann
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Johann »

hello everyone
I know that the repeat but I'm very sad that the TTDPatch-nightly project officially dead it's a pity because I wanted to see currently running older graphics (created for game tycoon) maybe can still to do something DBXL however, restore to life. I am writing about it because I see Michael Blunck new posts with the date 2012

Postscript - maybe someone created yet new TTDPatch or develop it is prohibited by law?
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

I believe Michael Blunck now uses OpenTTD which is an open source implementation of a TTD like game, similar to many other users of this forum.
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

I´m still developing for both programs, TTDPatch and OpenTTD. E.g., NewStations v0.5 works for both platforms.

O/c, some other features (e.g. rail types) won´t work for TTDpatch.

regards
Michael
Johann
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Johann »

It that something going on I see on the page
And as for the project OpenTTD It is for me too advanced I don't know how add old GRF to OpenTTD I see only mode online that doesn't include all files. Therefore constantly ask about upgrade associated with TTDPatch. Below method method is much friendlier
[ttdpatch.cfg] Settings

// `keepsmallairport' (-k) umożliwia budowanie małych lotnisk zawsze, niezależnie od roku.
keepsmallairport on

[Newgrfw.cfg] Settings

newgrfw/newairportw.grf 1 1 0 1 0 0
Last edited by Johann on 07 Jan 2013 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

You find a cfg file easy but are baffled by a simple nested options screen? That's...confusing.
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

Copy the newgrf file into Documents/OpenTTD/newgrf or into the data folder of OpenTTD, then add them into the game via the Newgrf settings ingame (before you start a new game).
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

**blows off dust**

I've recently re-installed OpenTTD and having always used PBI v1.5 with DBSetXL 0.82 together by using the ECS extension for DBSetXL which always worked fine but seemingly in OTTD 1.6.1 this adapter GRF doesn't seem to want to work. Have I forgotten what is required to get the two sets to work harmoniously so that I can carry Plastic & Fuel Oil or is there another work around?

Thanks in advance.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Ameecher wrote:**blows off dust**

I've recently re-installed OpenTTD and having always used PBI v1.5 with DBSetXL 0.82 together by using the ECS extension for DBSetXL which always worked fine but seemingly in OTTD 1.6.1 this adapter GRF doesn't seem to want to work. Have I forgotten what is required to get the two sets to work harmoniously so that I can carry Plastic & Fuel Oil or is there another work around?

Thanks in advance.
While it might not be your first or best choice, this is one of the reasons I made 2cc Wagons in NML (2ccWIN) so that you could have modern cargo support for old trainsets that don't work properly with modern day ECS and FIRS, or don't have any wagons at all (or not a full set of wagons)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!

Return to “Suggestions”