Modular Locomotive Sheds Special Station Set "MLSS" v 0.5.1

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Modular Locomotive Sheds Special Station Set "MLSS" v 0.5.1

Post by supermop »

Version 0.5.1 - Completely Rewritten

This is the release thread for my modular locomotive sheds set. For more information and the development thread please look here:

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=48605

Older:

I have just released version 0.1.0 of MLSS. The set now has over 3 times as many sprites as the last release (0.0.3). New Features include masonry (brick) sheds for your golden age rail networks, improvement and inclusion of the box-roof shed, and two "roof junk" tiles to help break up the monotony of large complexes. There are only a few more things to fix before I feel that the set will be ready for bananas. I of course appreciate any feedback or advice!

Original Post:

What are modular locomotive sheds?
Modular depot and locomotive shed
Modular depot and locomotive shed
With Station tiles transparent
With Station tiles transparent
Simply put, an eye-candy solution to the (perceived) problem of small, unrealistic depots. By using a matching depot and station set, as well as special optical illusion tiles, MLSS allows the user to create large, multitrack depot complexes that function essentially as a single depot, and can stable trains on specific tracks with careful construction and timetabling

This is my first released .grf, and I want to thank all of the people who helped me figure out the coding process in the development thread!

Thanks, and best!
Attachments
mlss051.grf
(221.48 KiB) Downloaded 1120 times
Last edited by supermop on 04 Oct 2011 04:22, edited 8 times in total.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Modular Locomotive Sheds Special Station Set Releases - MLSS

Post by supermop »

Various Shed styles of version 0.1.0 in action.
Various Shed styles of version 0.1.0 in action.
New Shed Styles.PNG (219.3 KiB) Viewed 37603 times

Here is the depot to match the MLSS stations:
MLSSDPT.grf
(3.88 KiB) Downloaded 1108 times
Last edited by supermop on 07 Jun 2010 03:19, edited 2 times in total.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Modular Locomotive Sheds Special Station Set Releases - MLSS

Post by supermop »

Here is a shot of the new masonry themed tiles as featured in MLSS 0.2.0.

MLSS020.PNG
MLSS020.PNG (95.1 KiB) Viewed 36293 times

Best,
Last edited by supermop on 07 Jul 2010 01:14, edited 1 time in total.
Whare
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Modular Locomotive Sheds Special Station Set "MLSS" v 0.0.3

Post by Whare »

Top work mate they look real good

:idea: Idea : Total town replacment set chages the road texture at set date would it be possable todo that with this set so early years you have the old brich style sheds right up to the more modern steel sheds

but as i said great work on this :)
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

My plan to include different styles is to use different rail types, to allow the user to continue to choose which style they would like to use for the depot regardless of year. In NuTracks, for example, the low speed depot could have a ttraditional masonry depot, medium and metro track could have the more modern metal building, and high/veryhigh could have a modern, but nicer depot. All station shed styles could remain available regardless of rail type (so to build a fancy depot on lower speed track, you would only have to pay the extra expense for the depot tile itself).

Glad to see some feedback!

Best,
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

How on earth did you get a PBS signal within a station tile?
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

jake.grimshaw wrote:How on earth did you get a PBS signal within a station tile?
See the development thread for the secret.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Modular Locomotive Sheds Special Station Set "MLSS" v 0.1.0

Post by supermop »

As of tonight I have a new version out. The masonry sheds work a little differently than the metal building, due to their overlapping pitched roof. There are two types of overylay tiles for the masonry shed; use the first type when adjacent tiles are parallel, and the second type when the overlay tile must abut a tile with a perpendicular roof. As an additional trick for complex depots, I have made a tile with the track entry perpendicular to the axis of the roof. It can also be used as a stand alone tile, although it looks a little wierd.

For metal sheds, I have touched up the "box-roof shed" and included it in the set. I have added one decorative tile each for the flat and box roof styles: a flat roof with HVAC equipment and company color conduits/ducts, and a box-roof with a company color stripe and small second company color conduit. The decorative elements on these tiles fit within the right and left halves of the roof, so careful placement of overlay tiles can create more variations, i.e. flat roof with ducts only, box roof with small conduit only. I have tried to show examples of all of these in a screenshot above.

I seem to be having pallette issues, so currently the CC elements are just blue and green. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

I greatly appreciate and feedback or advice!

Best,
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

What a fantastic idea! I must do an eyecandy game ASAP to test this! :D
Willetzky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Willetzky »

Great idea keep up the good work

Where can i find the grf for the brick depot as i only have the modern one available in the game
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

You can't, yet. Currently, the game doesn't have a way to select various depots for a track type. A stand alone depot grf will only be able to replace the default graphics for the given tracktype, allowing you to use either modern or masonry. This can be worked around by adding the depots to a railtype grf, and assigning different depots graphics to different track types. I am waiting to release the brick depot until there is a grf ready to allow the user to use both types. If there is urgent demand for the brick depot, I can relese it on it's own to use instead of the modern one when get back from england next week.

thanks for your interest!

best,
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Modular Locomotive Sheds Special Station Set "MLSS" v 0.2.0

Post by supermop »

Tonight I am releasing a new version of the set, with masonry style roundhouse tiles. Download in the first post or, shortly, on bananas. I am looking forward to seeing feedback and screenshots to help me make changes for 0.2.1 soon.

Best,
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Definitely going to have to try this one. We've been waiting on roundhouses for years!
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

Thanks! Here's a screenshot of the new maintenance shop at Lillian. :D
A Berkshire on the turntable, heading in for service.
A Berkshire on the turntable, heading in for service.
(Note: I mixes up some tiles from ISR and the station is from the North American Station Set.

Only bug I have found is that the "regular" cobblestone paved tracks don't function as track tiles. :?
Who is John Galt?
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Only bug I have found is that the "regular" cobblestone paved tracks don't function as track tiles.
Oops, I must have set that bit by accident. Look forward to it being fixed within a day or two with the next release. I am also going to add an "outer layer" of 16 roundhouse tiles that will be more along the lines of early 20th century rather than late 19th, as well as a few assorted tiles, and remove the grid lines from the cobblestone pavement, as it is more distracting in game than I thought it would be. (anyone have thoughts regarding this?) I am not sure if the 20th century roundhouse should have concrete, gravel, asphalt, or cobble groundsprites, and if I should go back and add custom groundsprites to the (non-roundhouse) shed tiles. I still need to figure out how to animate the turntable and various doors (on train routing, as in ISR), and devise a way to associate depot styles with different track types.

Sorry to stray into development talk here in the release thread, thanks for tthe feedback and screenshot!

Best,
benom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by benom »

i love this!!

only thing missing is on of those "flat roof" ones with no doors at all and if possible one that could show a wall on the tile next to it and not just the roof ;D
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

I can easily add a non-track metal shed for the next release. As for your seccond request, could you explain a little more thouroughly what you want to acheive?

Glad you like it so far!

best,
benom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by benom »

openttd.png
openttd.png (27.98 KiB) Viewed 35562 times
if you look at that picture you can see the tile between the 2 sheds ... a way to cover that one ;D
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

No problem. This was a case I was plannign on including eventually, after working with the roundhouse sprites convinced me I could make it look ok. It should be easy enough for me to go ahead and include it for my next release, but I want to hold off on that until the new roundhouse sprites are ready, which should be a few more days.

Best,
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

DanMacK wrote:Definitely going to have to try this one. We've been waiting on roundhouses for years!
Made one ages ago, but now I cant find it enywhere :/ It never got realesed.
But this one like me too very much!

Return to “Graphics Releases”