[OTTD] Monolev Replacement Set [V0.36 / 25/03/10]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

[OTTD] Monolev Replacement Set [V0.36 / 25/03/10]

Post by lawton27 »

I've finally took control of the NFO coding of nmts and produced this new set, MRS, it's simpler than nmts and in my view more game play friendly.
The set consists of 8 trains at the moment possibly more to come, but I don't want to add to many.

The aim of MRS is to provide playability further into the future in OTTD games, MRS is compatible with most major sets, exept for ones which use the monorail and/or maglev track types for other things, although that should soon become less of a problem as the sets will update to take advantage of the new additional rail types feature added to OTTD.

As of yet I still haven't added a freight maglev, but I have one in planning and should release it before V1.

MRS is on GRF crawler and should be appearing on soon and BANANAS as soon as the old version (nmts) is removed.

I couldn't have made this set without the help of Born Acorn, DanMacK, PikkaBird and DJ Nekkid. So a big thanks to them.

Release thread: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=47755

-----------------------------------------------------------
-------------Original Post:------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I've been having a look at the stuff for my old attempt of a set at http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=44606

I think that that project is pretty much dead, I wouldn't however like my work to go to waste, I've dug through my old files and chosen 13 trains witch I think are worthy of coding up (allot of them where rather poor quality and rushed) in a new project I'm starting, which shall only contain these 13 trains and nothing more, MRS (Monolev Replacement Set). Unfortunately I still can't code to save my life, so I'm uploading a .zip here, if anyone is interested in coding up this it would be greatly appreciated, feel free to download and have a look, this will be all that needs coding I have no intention of adding any more to the set, all of the sprites are aligned in a template style.

Thanks,

Lawton27
Attachments
listpic.png
listpic.png (42.4 KiB) Viewed 30019 times
MRSV037.grf
(49.07 KiB) Downloaded 2970 times
Last edited by lawton27 on 25 Mar 2010 21:57, edited 4 times in total.
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Monolev Replacement Set (attempt II)

Post by oberhümer »

If you could upload some stats I'd try to code(but don't count on me getting done soon).
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

neg wrote:If you could upload some stats I'd try to code(but don't count on me getting done soon).
The stats are in the zip folder, if any aren't very clear you can ask me or just use best judgement.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

There's little need IMO to re-invent the wheel. The whole repositoryas is was meant to get *someone* started, show how things work on the coding side and is documented very well. Any willing person could continue from there. Of course they could also start from scratch. Whatever.
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

planetmaker wrote:There's little need IMO to re-invent the wheel. The whole repositoryas is was meant to get *someone* started, show how things work on the coding side and is documented very well. Any willing person could continue from there. Of course they could also start from scratch. Whatever.
I've had a go at it now, seams the best was to do it, thanks for the advice.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Monolev Replacement Set [V0.36 / 25/03/10]

Post by Emperor Jake »

Great set, using it in my multiplayer game ATM. For futurstic play, so that it can keep going and never have outdated-seeming trains in 22nd century. :)

BTW, is the Trancerapid (sic) misspelled on purpose?

- Jake
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

Emperor Jake wrote:Great set, using it in my multiplayer game ATM. For futurstic play, so that it can keep going and never have outdated-seeming trains in 22nd century. :)

BTW, is the Trancerapid (sic) misspelled on purpose?

- Jake
yeh that's a typo, I'll fix it at some point, but I don't see much point releasing a new version just to fix that.
Muzzly
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Muzzly »

Nice set !!! :-)

I found some speed mismatch.
Maglev Bombardier HSML runs only at 688 km/h. Declared max speed is 1005 km/h.
Monorail Bombardier Z35 runs only at 276 km/h, declared max speed is 753 km/h.
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

muzzy wrote:Nice set !!! :-)

Glad to see someone is using the set, I didn't know about that one, no idea why that might happen, anyone got any ideas? confuses me too, a whole re-write might be a good idea for me to do at some point, of course, more trains to add with that would be great if anyone wants to volunteer some sprites.
strefa
Engineer
Engineer

Post by strefa »

lawton27 wrote:
muzzy wrote:Nice set !!! :-)
Glad to see someone is using the set, I didn't know about that one, no idea why that might happen, anyone got any ideas? confuses me too, a whole re-write might be a good idea for me to do at some point, of course, more trains to add with that would be great if anyone wants to volunteer some sprites.
I think Bobardier just doesn't have enough HP. HP isn't just a useless number, it determines the maximum speed of train.
Monorail Shuttle has 12'000 HP, while Bombardier Z35 has just 6'375 HP.
Maglev is similar, but less HP is needed to gain higher speed, and again:
Pegasus Standard Maglev has 6'375 HP. Bombardier HSML has 7'375 HP, and achieves 688km/h instead of declared 1'005 km/h.
Why? Because Bombardier weight is 200t, Pegasus 100t.

Need more Power! :)

PS. Great set, I'm glad to see really fast Maglevs. With Shanghai Maglev Inspired Track it looks just awesome.

PS2. I just checked: it looks as it works fine with Japan Trains Set, Japan Maglev Set, for me it is just what i needed, thank for your hard work!

PS3. Sorry for my english-like language :P I hope it's able to understand what i meant.
Locoman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Locoman »

Hi,

i tried to create some new Maglevs too,but i can't code it. I put it here, and author can add it in this set if he wants...

I'm only beginner in graphics creation so this Maglev maybe have some bugs. Someone can correct it if there are any.

So here it is:

Passenger version of LEV4:

Completely new Maglev,another passeenger type.
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

Looks quite good, I can code that for you sometime, I've got allot of other stuff to do at the moment but I may as well :wink:

Thanks for the support! :)
Locoman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Locoman »

OK,but if you want to code it, you need some parameters like name,cost,speed,capacity etc. I'll send you a PM with parameters when you'll need it.

PS: sorry for my bad english...
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

Just send me that whenever and I'll code it as soon as possible. :wink:
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

There are some bugs in the set.

When the Bombardier HSML (Maglev) is refitted, only the "first" part of the train changes its cargo. You will get, for example:

Capacity: 40 bags of valuables
Capacity: 320 passengers

The "Usage" description of the Bombardier HSML lists it as a "Tanker" train. The Pegasus has an empty "Usage" string.

Some monorail trains have no refit options. Given that the Trancerapid 09 can be refitted to Passengers, Mail, Goods and Valuables, for consistency I would expect the same possibilities in the rest of Intercity HSMT trains (The Express and Bombardier Z35).

There are some issues with engine power (when using realistic acceleration) too:
  • A loaded Bombardier HSML in flat terrain can only reach 445 km/h, and only after running for a long distance (about 220 tiles).
  • The Pegasus reaches 518 km/h after 130 tiles under the same conditions.
  • The Bombardier Z35 reaches 263 km/h after 115 tiles.
For comparison, the Trancerapid reaches its maximum speed of 506 km/h after 49 tiles (still a bit long IMO but at least it reaches its maximum speed). The rest of the trains reach their maximum speed in even less distance. I suggest modifying the power and air drag coefficient properties until you achieve better results.

Here is the savegame I used for testing maximum speed (1.1.1):
monolev_test.sav
(11.24 KiB) Downloaded 413 times
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

Hi,

When I help someone else to find a problem about the HSML train,
I found it having a 100% reliability and not going down at all.

That poor boy had the "autoreplace" turned on but those HSML trains
never get replaced despite other trains in his game does.

Please kindly advise whether this is intended behaviour.

The savegame can be found under the post:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 2#p1084916
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

A grave dig, but just wanted to bring it up in case there was an aspiring artist or coder who wanted an interesting project to work on. This one is worth saving and bringing up to modern code.
Ragin1_
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ragin1_ »

kamnet wrote: 24 Jan 2022 09:07 A grave dig, but just wanted to bring it up in case there was an aspiring artist or coder who wanted an interesting project to work on. This one is worth saving and bringing up to modern code.
Do you know where a source for this might be? Because I've been considering putting similar style monorails and maglevs into PGT.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
Ragin1_ wrote: 25 Jan 2022 02:20 Do you know where a source for this might be? Because I've been considering putting similar style monorails and maglevs into PGT.
Planetmaker provided a link to the repository on openttdcoop.org in his reply but I currently get a 502, bad gateway when I try to open the link. I don't know if it is a general problem with openttdcoop.org or a specific problem of the linked ressource.

Tschö, Auge
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Auge wrote: 25 Jan 2022 07:34 I currently get a 502, bad gateway when I try to open the link. I don't know if it is a general problem with openttdcoop.org or a specific problem of the linked ressource.
It's down and has been for a long time...
Lots of sources cannot be found anymore...
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.

Return to “Graphics Development”