1.0 very slow on a mac

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

maxfaber
Engineer
Engineer

1.0 very slow on a mac

Post by maxfaber »

hey, maybe it is because of the dropped mac support, maybe not. 0.72 runs smoothly on my mac, however 1.0 rc2 does not, it is very, very slow. unplayable in fact. it there any thing I can do about that besides getting windows?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: 1.0 very slow on a mac

Post by Alberth »

Get Linux :)

How is it slow?
If you mean that trains get onto speed very slowly, that can easily be fixed by setting the train acceleration to 'realistic'.
Otherwise, I have no clue, sorry.
maxfaber
Engineer
Engineer

Post by maxfaber »

thanks for your reply.

it is slow in general. vehicles are slow, mouse movement is choppy, the entire application runs slow, like on a computer not capable. but then again, 0.72 is a charm. I am just looking for the "no plane crashes option" anyway, but i guess there is no choice to get that otherwise ,right?
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

There are many reasons why it could be slow although it depends on the type of Mac and the version of the OS you're using.
For example:
- you have a G5 (PPC) CPU and the (universal) binary you have doesn't have an optimised G5 binary; tests from a long time ago showed that an optimised G5 binary instead of a G3 binary is roughly 20 to 30% faster.
- you have a Mac OS X 10.5 or 10.6 and you're one of the users where 8 bits graphics still work, despite the API saying it doesn't. In this case you could try to use the 8bpp-optimized blitter.
- you have a 'debug' binary, which is always slower than the release binary.
- the used compiler doesn't optimise as good as our compiler did.
maxfaber
Engineer
Engineer

Post by maxfaber »

well, you see, that is too complicated for me and I will have to stick with what I have. But still, I have a fairly new MacBook Pro, so it should run as the 0.72 version did, I guess. I downloaded

Mac OS X universal: openttd-universal-1.0.0-RC2-OSX.dmg [9,9MB]
sha1: 3eb9090f826230973e6e58b00bdb000c5bfc98fc

so it should run on Intel and I am on 10.5 not knowing about the other things. But it is not a bit slower in terms of what I would a debug version expect to be, it is way slower, like unplayable slow, with a mouse so chobby that you can hardly click a specific button. I thought it is something simple, but apparently it is not traceable so easily. no problem.
loclahost
Engineer
Engineer

Post by loclahost »

Alberth wrote:Get Linux :)
I'm sorry to say that i have the same problem on linux. The game runs slowly, mouse movement is choppy and moving the view makes the screen flicker. I'm running a self compiled nightly, rev 19435, so I thought that maybe the error was in my compiler; therefor I downloaded the RC2 and was rather bewildered when it turned out to be even slower. I don't remember it (the nightlies, that is) being slow at all a couple of hundred revisions back.

Running Ubuntu 9.10 on an Asus G70 (Core2Duo @ 2.40Ghz, Nvidia 9700GTM). Latest drivers, all updates installed.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

loclahost wrote:Running Ubuntu 9.10
Check known-bugs.txt, especially the part about 'extreme CPU usage'.
loclahost
Engineer
Engineer

Post by loclahost »

:bow: I should have known, pulseaudio have done nothing but harm to my computer. Thanks
Wintersoldier
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Wintersoldier »

For the person on the Mac, how many other applications do you have running at the same time as Openttd, and how much RAM do you have?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Wintersoldier wrote:For the person on the Mac, how many other applications do you have running at the same time as Openttd, and how much RAM do you have?
This is obviously worth checking, but I'll just add.
- It doesn't matter how many other apps are running, it only matters whether one or more of them is hogging CPU.
- Similarly for RAM, the OS will mostly handle that for the user; it tends to be when switching apps that having not enough RAM makes things very slow (except for something really RAM intensive like multi-layered photoshop).

Open Activity Monitor (should be in Utilities) and see what's going on, it's a good guide to CPU and RAM use.
maxfaber
Engineer
Engineer

Post by maxfaber »

you see, i dont get it. it is the very same machine running 0.7.5 in a great way. it is leopard, not snow leopard, so I dont see any problem. about the compiling and how good it is I cannot loose a word as it was precompiled but still. while 0.7.5 take a massive 70% processor load, 1.0.0 needs 100% and more, which apparently does not use the additional core and so becomes chobby. all I would like to know is whether 1.0 really takes 50% and more of processing power or if there is something else wrong.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

maxfaber wrote:you see, i dont get it. it is the very same machine running 0.7.5 in a great way. it is leopard, not snow leopard, so I dont see any problem. about the compiling and how good it is I cannot loose a word as it was precompiled but still. while 0.7.5 take a massive 70% processor load, 1.0.0 needs 100% and more, which apparently does not use the additional core and so becomes chobby. all I would like to know is whether 1.0 really takes 50% and more of processing power or if there is something else wrong.
That depends upon how and with what options it was compiled. Official release versions are usually compiled quite optimized and without certain debug features. That makes them faster. As that is not done for OpenTTD 1.0.0 and the default binaries compiled are debug binaries, you'll experience the difference you describe.
maxfaber
Engineer
Engineer

Post by maxfaber »

well, that is good to know. isnt there any way to get a well compiled version 1.0 for a mac? a version that runs like I am used to it? that would be wonderful
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

I suspect the 1.0.0 binary uses the 32bpp blitter for him and the 0.7.5 used the 8bpp blitter.

But please don't blame the messenger; there is no way to determine correctly! whether the 8bpp blitter is going to work on 10.5 and later. 0.7.5 tried to determine it and sometimes failed, so now some user provided a patch that just defaults to the 32bpp blitter for all 10.5 and later Mac OS X installs, regardless on whether 8bpp works correctly.
maxfaber
Engineer
Engineer

Post by maxfaber »

so for a noob like me, 8bpp blitter is faster? is there any way for me to compile a fast version myself?
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

maxfaber wrote: so for a noob like me, 8bpp blitter is faster? is there any way for me to compile a fast version myself?
yes, 8bpp is faster.
Changing the config file does not work?
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

maxfaber wrote:so for a noob like me, 8bpp blitter is faster? is there any way for me to compile a fast version myself?
You can just change your config file and chose a different blitter. openttd -h will tell you which options are available.
maxfaber
Engineer
Engineer

Post by maxfaber »

in the console i guess

EDIT: no, somewhere else. it so bad to be a noob, i guess
maxfaber
Engineer
Engineer

Post by maxfaber »

oh, there is a config file, let me try...

EDIT: well, it says blitter = ""
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Good find :P
Here is some more info:

http://wiki.openttd.org/Openttd.cfg
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”