[Base Music] OpenMSX v0.3.1

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Hazza
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OTTD Music Replacement Project

Post by Hazza »

Aha! Gotcha, I'll fix it up asap. Thanks for the advice. Stereo phonics isn't my strong suit.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

jammydodger wrote:@Owen: How are things with that old script of yours you said you were redoing (for OpenMSX)?
I probably won't have much time to look at it until I'm back in the US, in April. It's not going to make 1.0 anyway, so there's not that much rush I guess. I have some basic work done, shall work on it more then. :)
DonRazzi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by DonRazzi »

Well well well, very nice averything!

But: Does anyone have a good hint for a free and easy to use Midi-Editor right now or something nice for srum patterns? Haven't been using MIDI since years...
Best OTTD Screenshots in 2007 !!! Image Image
Starn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Starn »

anvail or w/e spelling is
and madtracker is decent google free tracking software or something related to that.
i personally use $300 dollar software lol i normally record music into mp3 format sometimes FLAC
my strong points are classical piano and related things like keyboard and organs
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

planetmaker wrote:
Samwise wrote:Oops! :oops: May I still change the name of the song into Smooth Groove?\

EDIT: And some update on the song :)
Sure, No problem. Updated and will be available as such in the next nightly.

I believe you've misunderstood what I intended to say, or at least I typed it wrong :P That song in my post was my new song, which isn't finished yet. You should still use the old version of my song :) I was merely posting an update for the new piece.
kingmush360
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by kingmush360 »

Just a very stupid question here, but what software are you using to make these songs for OTTD?
I have always been into these digital instrument things since I can't play any.

Thanks
Mush
Hi, I'm Steve. I can't change my username so imagine it says Steve Emfore.
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

It would seem that people are using Anvil here. I myself am using Guitar Pro, as it's more convenient in being able to both write in tabs or sheets :)
jammydodger
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jammydodger »

Yep, we've got a few Anvil users here, me included as you know. Anvil is basic, but therefore simple.
Anvil really is perfect. It's just my mind for tunes that isn't!
FiXato
Engineer
Engineer

Post by FiXato »

petert wrote: Edit: Have we decided on a short name for the Music Replacement Project? Will it be OpenMSX?
Might be good to know though that since ~2000 (maybe even earlier) there already is an emulator with that name, namely openMSX which is an emulator of the 80s MSX home computer; could cause some confusion. ;-)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

FiXato wrote:
petert wrote: Edit: Have we decided on a short name for the Music Replacement Project? Will it be OpenMSX?
Might be good to know though that since ~2000 (maybe even earlier) there already is an emulator with that name, namely openMSX which is an emulator of the 80s MSX home computer; could cause some confusion. ;-)
I would think that "OpenMRP" would be more suitable. :-)

Apparently nobody noticed, but I've been away having to work on a few other projects, but I hadn't forgotten this one. Congratulations to Samwise, Hazza, Mr. Ksoft and Trolley Trev for your contributions, can't wait to hear more! They all sound nice and I think set good standards for others to follow. I'm sorry to hear that -Lucas- had to drop out of the project, but hopefully he'll have time in the future to come back, as well as others who expressed interest.

I've updated the wiki page with links to the files, discussion and the first OpenMSX pack.
Last edited by kamnet on 04 Mar 2010 10:34, edited 1 time in total.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Look at
http://www.google.de/search?q=OpenMSX

and then at
http://www.google.de/search?q=OpenMRP (do you run a hospital?)
http://www.google.de/search?q=OpenMRS (need medical records?)
http://www.google.de/search?q=OpenMUX (free multiplexer?)
http://www.google.de/search?q=OpenMIX (well, ...)
http://www.google.de/search?q=OpenMURS (this is no multi use radio service, is it?)

It rather looks like any somewhat reasonable 3-letter abbreviation is somewhat ambiguous. Not really a convincing fact to change anything IMO.

http://www.google.de/search?q=OpenMUH (yeah, like cows :-P; they're not on the net it seems)
http://www.google.de/search?q=OpenMUS (squished music anyone?)

last:
http://www.google.de/search?q=OpenMFX (Open Music f??? extension? Yes, it'd be consistent with OpenGFX and OpenSFX)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

FiXato wrote:Might be good to know though that since ~2000 (maybe even earlier) there already is an emulator with that name, namely openMSX which is an emulator of the 80s MSX home computer; could cause some confusion. ;-)
Looking at this in terms of trademarks then using the same name for two distinctively different projects is no problem at all.
gryvix
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gryvix »

A long time since I've posted. But I promised to write some music for OTTD years ago.
I want to do this, but dunno what exactly you want. I can transcribe sheet music to midis, make my own in almost every style. Using Sibelius, so I'm all good. Got stuff also to render lidis to mp3.

The only thing I'm worried about is those licenses, I'd rather have a license that confines it solely to the OTTD-project(and/or openmsx and/or bananas(whatever that might be)), than handing it out to everyone.

I still have to get uses to Owen not having a Melissa Joan Hart-avatar :(
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

gryvix wrote:A long time since I've posted. But I promised to write some music for OTTD years ago.
We need general midi files.
licenses
The license was chosen for good reason, mainly ease of continued maintenance and ease of bundling jointly with OpenTTD. Please also read the license discussion on the OpenGFX, IMO it applies 1:1 to this project, credits will need to be given to the artist(s) wherever anything from this set is going to be used.
Trolley Trev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Trolley Trev »

Hi all

I have *finally* fixed all of those pitch bend nightmares in my song for openttd. it appears that the renderer in ttd makes those pitch bends way more extreme compared to playing them in media player etc.

IF this could be updated in the openmsx patch that would be awesome.

Cheers
Attachments
KeepOnRolling.mid
(93.41 KiB) Downloaded 1552 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Trolley Trev wrote:IF this could be updated in the openmsx patch that would be awesome.
Uhm... I'd like to. But the file seem to be identical to the last bit to the one I have here already.
Trolley Trev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Trolley Trev »

It is the same name size and everything etc. i just made some changes with the pitch bends. if you listen to the 2 different files in ttd you'll soon notice the difference!! Just replace the old one with the new one. :)

Oh, just in case you were confused... I created the original! But when i listened to it in openttd the pitch bends were whacked so i had to fix them. :)
zagabar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zagabar »

What do you think of these songs?

http://pallkars.net/~uploader/uploads/f%e4rdit.zip
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Trolley Trev wrote:It is the same name size and everything etc. i just made some changes with the pitch bends.
Ok :-) Thanks for the update. It will be included in the upcoming nightly build.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

zagabar wrote:What do you think of these songs?

http://pallkars.net/~uploader/uploads/f%e4rdit.zip
Are these your original compositions? I'll list a few of them that I like.

Midnight Snow Run - I like the first half of it, nice and slow, very calm.
Coconut Run 2 - simple, fun sounding and not too long. Definitely like.
Deep Down Chemistry - very industrial-ish, but not to my liking
Run For Your Life - There's a guitar riff in here that sounds really familiar. Maybe too familiar. Otherwise okay.
Harp Harmony 'n Humor - starts off too slow, picks up quite well, but then there's a part about the 60 second mark that sounds like an old cassette player dragging the tape. Maybe from the 20-60 second mark I really like that.
Linn's Basket of Treats - I like it really well between 1:20 and 2:00

Overall this collection has a strong modern/industrialist feel to it. I think it would fit in well with any game running trains from the 1980s on up. It's not my cup of tea, but then again some people don't appreciate my Scott Joplin Anthology :lol:

Return to “General OpenTTD”