Narrow Gauge rails - updated release!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: Narrow Gauge rails - updated release!

Post by JacobD88 »

Sorry to dig this thread, but as of R18970 we've had the possible number of rail types increased to 16, i was wandering if there was any interest in updating this GRF so it didn't overwrite an existing rail type, instead using a separate one?

If there are no plans do i have permission to mod the GRF myself for personal use? If so what GRF actions would i need to add or modify?

Many thanks

Jacob
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

JacobD88 wrote: If there are no plans do i have permission to mod the GRF myself for personal use? If so what GRF actions would i need to add or modify?
mart3p was the last person to update this grf here. As far as I know, he did so with the permission of cornelius. I would think one of them would be required for permissions.
Rather than an update of the existing grf to your reqirements, I would recommend creating a second grf based on the existing one. The reason I suggest this is that the current grf is designed to work under both TTDPatch and OpenTTD and TTDPatch does not yet support new routes. It still must replace either maglev or monorail tracks in TTDPatch.
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

wallyweb wrote:
JacobD88 wrote: ...I would recommend creating a second grf based on the existing one...
Many thanks for the prompt answer, i agree a second GRF based on the set might be a better option, i will attempt to contact Cornelius and Mart3p over the next day or so for permission. I hope they're still around as they haven't been on-line since August and November respectively :?:
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

The rail types GRF is already made, by mart3p. I have updated it to the current standard but just haven't released it yet due to lack of license.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

Thanks Petern, if you've already updated that saves me some time doing it too, i just hope you can get permission to release
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

I've been playing around a little bit with the NG tracks.

I drew new concrete catenary pylons for a catenary-electrified NG track (similar design to those used by small narrow gauge railways around the Alps), as well as NG tracks with 3rd rail and rack rail. I have also edited the tunnel portals, making them a little bit smaller (usually, NG trains are narrower and smaller than their SG counterparts).

Thanks to Purno for sharing his ideas from the MetroTracks ;) they were very helpful to me.

Now, I'm no coder so it would be cool if someone could help me coding my sprites (it's the best way to identify possible drawing errors). The problem is that I used Cornelius/Mart3p's NG tracks as a base; we'd need their permission, but they both seem to be quite inactive on the Forums lately...
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Attached is the last WIP development version of ngrails for rail types, based on the original ngrails GRF and with work by mart3p and me. Also attached is the disused rails NFO, which was started from the ngrails GRF.

These files are not complete; tunnel parts are missing or not coded, and the level crossing lights are just sprites used for testing the feature. I have uploaded them here because I doubt I will get around to finishing them, so perhaps someone else can.

These are NFO and PCX files. Don't bother downloading if you just want to use an ngrails NewGRF :-)

License? Well, as they're both based on ngrails, follow that, if you can find it.
Attachments
ngrails.zip
(15.73 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
disused.zip
(15.89 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

Quite OT:
Thank you petern :)

This will help me "finish" the NuTracks, as i got some (more) info on how to use this properly :D
Member of the
ImageImage
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Don't forget to reuse the action 2 IDs within the action 3 for rail types with the same graphics. :-)
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

I know this is probably in for an overhaul with the new railtypes possibilities, but would it be possible to have a Narrow Gauge rails GRF that is forced to have temperate grass? (Mainly for use with AlpineClimate)
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Um, I can't seem to get NG rails to replace maglev, it only works replaces SG rails or Monorail no matter what parameter I use (BTW Im playing in OpenTTD)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Thun
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Thun »

If you use the Serbian set, you have to load the new tracks before the Serbian set and set its parameter to "4". It works for me (OTTD 1.0.1).

However, apparently, the tracks don't work with the "Total Bridge Replacement Set" (the bridges show the maglev track), which is a pitty. Any chance of further development here?
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

I do believe that with a little patience and searching, you can find a version of Total Bridges that replaces the Maglev tracked bridges with Narrow Gauge ones.
Or you can turn off TBRS, and the NG rails should provide their own bridges.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Gremnon wrote:I do believe that with a little patience and searching, you can find a version of Total Bridges that replaces the Maglev tracked bridges with Narrow Gauge ones.
Or you can turn off TBRS, and the NG rails should provide their own bridges.
Unforetunately its an "all or nothing" replacement, which is fine for OpenTTD. Apparently the coder was too lazy to do it so that it would work with one grf under TTDPatch.
Mr Fox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mr Fox »

Its been 4 years since the last post, so I was wondering if there any news on that GRF?

I was interested in it, but I was wondering if there a new one made since?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

In general, it is safe to assume no post means no news. People do not spend ages making a new version and not tell about it.
In other words, the project is dead for 4 years now, unless you want to continue it.
Mr Fox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mr Fox »

Hmm I don't know what I need to do that. But I have see link of its work on the forum (I have not check them). Maybe someone else can try it?
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Don Karnage wrote:Hmm I don't know what I need to do that. But I have see link of its work on the forum (I have not check them). Maybe someone else can try it?
Just out of curiosity, what would you like to see added to Narrow Gauge rails as they currently appear in both OpenTTD and TTDPatch?

Return to “Graphics Development”