32bpp-extra: a new openttdcoop project!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 32bpp-extra: a new openttdcoop project!

Post by GeekToo »

None of the above. The Wotan signals are licensed under cc-nc, so cannot be used. I did add the tram-tracks.

Furthermore, I requested GT1750 for permission to use the foundations some time ago, but did not receive a reply, maybe he doesn't read PMs.
And this night, I asked LordAzamath to license his airport ground sprites. I know he's one of the initiators of the OpenGFX project, so he knows the importance of the licensing issues. I had some pleasant cooperation with him in the past, so I don't foresee any trouble there, but I want to do this the right way, and let him decide about the license of his own work. So, difficult as it may be, we'll have to have a little patience.

Did someone already contact Wotan for considering relicense of the signals?
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by neob »

i have no idea what the difference between CC3 and GPL2, beside most of our works are CC3
but how about add the reference to the sprites in the NewGRF and use the sprites themself as an external?

and is there a list of which sprites included so we can avoid including the twice in the packs?
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

neob wrote:
GeekToo wrote:Thanks,

Added to the project, http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/32b ... visions/20

The nightly just passed, so they will be included in tomorrows nightly.
you added only the extra sprites or all of the signal sprites?
in other words to make signal work, i need to download only this new grf or the Repo version that includes the ogfx1_base sprites as well?
The signals can't be added because They have a different license. They should be distributed separately.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

As a response to GeekToo's pm..

Whatever stuff you find that is done by me and want to use it, be free to do so.. If gpl v2 was the best solution for you, then mine are released under that (unless stated otherwise at the posting itself, as I can't recall if I have released/posted anything with any licence at all (unlikely) ). The problem is though, that I don't have the sources for 99% of the stuff I've posted here, so that might be bad for gpl :P

I'm not really good at that licencing stuff so my thoughts are, use whatever you want, under which licence is most suitable for you :D
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Thanks LordAzamath,

I will add some airport sprites to the set soon. But I'm having trouble finding the white circle (used on air/heli ports) in the opengfx set.

Edit: Found it, hidden between the gui sprites. Next nightly (in an hour or 2), will contain the tramtracks and the airport sprites
gt1750
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gt1750 »

GeekToo wrote:None of the above. The Wotan signals are licensed under cc-nc, so cannot be used. I did add the tram-tracks.

Furthermore, I requested GT1750 for permission to use the foundations some time ago, but did not receive a reply, maybe he doesn't read PMs.
And this night, I asked LordAzamath to license his airport ground sprites. I know he's one of the initiators of the OpenGFX project, so he knows the importance of the licensing issues. I had some pleasant cooperation with him in the past, so I don't foresee any trouble there, but I want to do this the right way, and let him decide about the license of his own work. So, difficult as it may be, we'll have to have a little patience.

Did someone already contact Wotan for considering relicense of the signals?
Sorry, I didn't notice your PM :oops:

I hereby state that my foundations are public domain, so you can do whatever you want with them as long as you credit me. I was thinking about updating them, but I can't force my lazy self to do that. Maybe one day...
"There's no Photoshop filter for talent!" - HotShoe, S&D

My automotive art & design gallery at deviantART
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

gt1750 wrote:I hereby state that my foundations are public domain, so you can do whatever you want with them as long as you credit me.
That statement is ambiguous. If you really want it to be "public domain" you can't force anyone to credit you. Of course you can say "public domain, but credit would be nice", or "public domain, but please give credit". If you want to force people to give credit you'll have to chose a license that does so, for example CC-BY. I'm not sure on GPL with regard to giving credit.
gt1750
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gt1750 »

Yexo wrote:
gt1750 wrote:I hereby state that my foundations are public domain, so you can do whatever you want with them as long as you credit me.
That statement is ambiguous. If you really want it to be "public domain" you can't force anyone to credit you. Of course you can say "public domain, but credit would be nice", or "public domain, but please give credit". If you want to force people to give credit you'll have to chose a license that does so, for example CC-BY. I'm not sure on GPL with regard to giving credit.
Honestly I see no big deal with these graphics and licenses. Many of the released 32bpp tiles (the foundations in particular) don't have much use outside of OpenTTD. And even if you attach "I release my work under GPL or CC or whatever", it can't prevent certain types of people from stealing and using the artwork for whatever they want. They know that no real harm can be done to them and don't care about their reputation in the community they steal from.

So the foundations are public domain and giving credit is up to anyone and his conscience.
"There's no Photoshop filter for talent!" - HotShoe, S&D

My automotive art & design gallery at deviantART
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Thanks GT1750,
I'll include them in the 32bpp-extra pack.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

GeekToo wrote:Thanks GT1750,
I'll include them in the 32bpp-extra pack.
The tiles for tropical climate are based on their work, and can be included also.

About bus stops and road arrows: The bus stops must be recoded. I will try it this night.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
sweetdude
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sweetdude »

My apologies to go a little bit off topic over here but i run into the following issue with this set.
GeekToo wrote:....

The 32bpp-extra project is intended for end-users: bundling several finished pngs for easy download, that work both for opengfx- and original graphics users.

You can download the nightlies from the bundle page, unzip and put the resulting tar in the data directory, no need to untar.
Or you can use Mercurial (hg) to clone the repo, and build the stuff for yourself.

Give it a try, and please file any problems on the issue tracker of the project
I gave this one a try instead of downloading the pack on the other page and manually searching, downloading changed files from jupix tracker.
I have downloaded the following files:
32bpp_mega_pack_extrazoom_20090414.tar
32bpp_mega_pack_extrazoom_20090614_update.tar
32bpp_extra-nightly.zip

I put both .tar files in the \data directory and extracted the 32bpp_extra-nightly.tar from the zip and put that one also in the \data dir next to the other 2 .tar's
When is start the game i have to choose for the "original_windows" graphics to make use of the 32bpp graphics they don't work with the OpenGFX. Is there something i'm doing wrong?
Also when i use the "original_windows" the 32bpp_extra-nightly.tar is not used because i miss the 32bpp graphics from that file in the game.
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

You have to activate the 32bpp-extra newgrf in the ingame newgrf settings, and start a new game.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Or update the GRFs loaded. Sometimes, If You only change a GRF file based on replacements, It doesn't affect the other GRFs.
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Update: Temperate and Tropical foundations have been added.
Note: the set only contains the ones from the openttd[dw].grf.
Some of the foundations sprites are in the base/tropical grfs, for replacement of those, you will still have to download the ones from the repo (for OpenGFX compatibility), or the ones mentioned on the wiki download page for original compatibility.
To avoid this, best thing would be to split the foundations.tar in the Jupix repo into the sprites in the ogfxe_extra.grf, that can be downloaded in the 32bpp-extra set to relief some of the enduser download pressure of Jupix's server, and a symlinked tar of the base/tropical grfs sprites. IMO in the end, those could be included in an enduser package on the openttdcoop server too, so Jupix's server would return to being a true graphics repo. I.e. not having to deal with the enduser download bandwidth, but for source files, wips and finished files. The latter than could be replicated to the enduser download packs.
Last edited by GeekToo on 01 Mar 2010 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
sweetdude
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sweetdude »

GeekToo wrote:You have to activate the 32bpp-extra newgrf in the ingame newgrf settings, and start a new game.
Indeed that did the trick for the "original_windows" graphics. But that did not solve the problem for the OpenGFX graphics.
Last edited by sweetdude on 01 Mar 2010 22:54, edited 2 times in total.
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Please do note that this set only contains sprites for the "extra" grf. Sprites that refer to other baseset grfs can have compatibility problems, as shown in this table: http://wiki.openttd.org/32bpp_Extra_Zoom_Levels_Files.

And for a newer megapack, many of them containing symlinks, check this thread: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=46682
sweetdude
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sweetdude »

I do understand but that's what I find so strange. I thought that OpenGFX was the way to go on this 32bpp development project. But all the sprites are only working on Original GFX for me and not on the OpenGFX.
While the mega pack works better on the OpenGFX instead of the Original.

BTW: I think the hedges and fences can also be added to the end user package. They are located over here and released under GPLv2 according to the license file in the .tar file. (sprite numbers 4090 to 4125 in z0)
And the radiotower (sprite 2601) is released by LordAzamath in the "LandScape - Trees - Misc.tar"
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

sweetdude wrote:I do understand but that's what I find so strange. I thought that OpenGFX was the way to go on this 32bpp development project.
Well, IMHO the way to go is to have the 32bpp sprites work on both original and on OpenGFX.
sweetdude wrote: But all the sprites are only working on Original GFX for me and not on the OpenGFX.
Are you referring to the sprites of the 32bpp_extra set here? Because I did several tests on both, and for me they worked on both base sets.
sweetdude
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sweetdude »

I'm referring to the sets mentioned above:
32bpp_mega_pack_extrazoom_20090414.tar
32bpp_mega_pack_extrazoom_20090614_update.tar
32bpp_extra-nightly.zip

None of these files work for me in OpenGFX.
Lordmwa
President
President

Post by Lordmwa »

GeekToo wrote:
sweetdude wrote:I do understand but that's what I find so strange. I thought that OpenGFX was the way to go on this 32bpp development project.
Well, IMHO the way to go is to have the 32bpp sprites work on both original and on OpenGFX.
Surely the OpenGFX are just replacements for the Originals and as these are a replacement again it should be totally transferable?
The TT forums trivia tournament! Come along and join in the fun
http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90722

Return to “Graphics Development”