[Base Music] OpenMSX v0.3.1

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: OTTD Music Replacement Project

Post by planetmaker »

Thanks Trolley Trev and Samwise for your quick answer. Let me say 'thank you' just as quickly by adding here a small music set zip with your two music pieces. Unzip it into the Openttd/gm folder and you should have the Open Music Set (OMSX) available for selection as a Music base set within OpenTTD.

Currently I try to figure out a good way to generate openmsx.obm via a script from a simple list of music pieces; then I'll upload the repo to the DevZone (same place as OpenGFX and OpenSFX are maintained). So far this zip is basically the source of this music set.

The licenses basically both warrant that you'll get attribution and that others can build upon your work (e.g. include it into further music sets, if they give proper credits). GPL requires (additionally) to supply upon request the source - which in this case would be from my POV the music pieces as you supplied them here in this thread; and it will also be, when done, the script which generates the base set from a list of music pieces.
Attachments
openmsx.zip
rudimentary music set
(24.18 KiB) Downloaded 567 times
Timmaexx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timmaexx »

Thank you Ingo for creating the Set & Trolley Trev and Samwise for the music!
Sounds good in my game!
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

Both songs sound sweet in-game :D Thanks for sorting out the licenses, as that really isn't my kind of thing ;)

Just some thought, I would love to team up with other composers to create some pieces of music in a specific theme/style or something, anyone interested? :)
Trolley Trev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Trolley Trev »

Hi there.

Just listened to the pieces in OpenTTD...

Mine could do with some pitch-bend adjustments!! :-S

Yours is spot-on Samwise. Good work!

I am happy to compose some more pieces for this project. Am happy to team up with someone if they want. What did you have in mind Samwise?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

The "official" repository is now online. It can be found on the DevZone at http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/openmsx

Nightly builds will be available as of today from http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/openmsx/nightlies/

I'll happily add further contributions (it's actually just adding them to this simple list) and will eagerly look forward to further work from you guys :-) It's amazing. If someone has proposals for existing works which might get included, please also do tell, also if you think that certain pieces should be moved to other categories - I didn't pay much attention to that so far.
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

Trolley Trev wrote:Hi there.

Just listened to the pieces in OpenTTD...

Mine could do with some pitch-bend adjustments!! :-S

Yours is spot-on Samwise. Good work!

I am happy to compose some more pieces for this project. Am happy to team up with someone if they want. What did you have in mind Samwise?
Well, as you mentioned, we could create a music-set with more futuristic songs, or just classy old blues stuff etc. I found out that working with others on composing music gives you a lot of idea's and you'll gain a lot of skill from doing so :)

If you're interested, we could try composing some more futuristic songs together, like yours?

As for your pitch-bend problem, what kind of program do you use?
Trolley Trev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Trolley Trev »

Currently using notation composer. I just need to make the pitch bends less severe and it will fix it. They sounded ok in the midi file but in ttd they are a little more extreme!! But i'll fix them and give it a try and see how it goes. if i fix it, i'll post the revised midi file on this forum.

For co-writing a piece, it would be easiest for me to exchange them in midi format, unless your program can open notation files (*.not) or karaoke files (*.kar)

In terms of style, we can certainly do some more futuristic stuff. perhaps even some in the older jazz/blues style but with more modern instrumentation etc. but i'm good for whatever. :)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

it would be nice to have some music (or an entire set) with the theme of music for 1960's in CS Locomotion
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

The 2nd track is just somehow off. Some sounds cut off too soon and make it sound weird. Good job anyways.

Also I wonder if there is such a thing as a fake midi software, (sort of like you have GlideWrappers that fool the software to believe it is using Glide when it's actually all the commands are being sent to DirectX) where you could take an mp3 file, open it in that software and it turns it into a midi only by extension, when the game opens that file to play, windows default mp3 decoder kicks in and plays the mp3 content inside. Though this is only talk, I doubt such software exists, if it did, it would do it's job trough header of the file i suppose(to tell the system that it's a fake midi).
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

Trolley Trev wrote:Currently using notation composer. I just need to make the pitch bends less severe and it will fix it. They sounded ok in the midi file but in ttd they are a little more extreme!! But i'll fix them and give it a try and see how it goes. if i fix it, i'll post the revised midi file on this forum.

For co-writing a piece, it would be easiest for me to exchange them in midi format, unless your program can open notation files (*.not) or karaoke files (*.kar)

In terms of style, we can certainly do some more futuristic stuff. perhaps even some in the older jazz/blues style but with more modern instrumentation etc. but i'm good for whatever. :)
Well, I'm using Guitar Pro, as it's the same program I use for writing new pieces on guitar or learn stuff with it. I doubt it can open .not or .kar files, so MIDI would be the way to go :)

EDIT: Just some thoughts about a new rythm, worth continuing?
Attachments
Stuff.mid
(2.55 KiB) Downloaded 12790 times
jammydodger
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jammydodger »

If a new player is created, allowing for more common formats like .MP3 .WMA and .OGG then I would be happy to give any of my songs and write new ones. I have little MIDI experience and prefer using proffessional non MIDI software, hence this.
Cheers, James 8)
EDIT:@Samwise, yes, continue, it's pretty good. :)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Killer 11 wrote:Also I wonder if there is such a thing as a fake midi software, (sort of like you have GlideWrappers that fool the software to believe it is using Glide when it's actually all the commands are being sent to DirectX) where you could take an mp3 file, open it in that software and it turns it into a midi only by extension, when the game opens that file to play, windows default mp3 decoder kicks in and plays the mp3 content inside. Though this is only talk, I doubt such software exists, if it did, it would do it's job trough header of the file i suppose(to tell the system that it's a fake midi).
One could do something like that. It'd be somewhat silly though. OpenTTD 1.0 will only have support for MIDI; later versions may well support other formats. (My new patch is still on the backburner, and I do intend to have something functional in the near future.)
Mr. Ksoft
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mr. Ksoft »

Here's an updated version of my song I posted earlier. This one is more final, and has an actual name.
I'm licensing this under theCreative Commons Sampling Plus license which was recommended in the first post. Does it also need GPL'd?
Attachments
Modern Motion.mid
(29.3 KiB) Downloaded 12776 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Mr. Ksoft wrote:Does it also need GPL'd?
Yes, if you like it included in OpenMSX now. Only a GPL-license will allow distribution with OpenTTD in all cases and I'm not yet quite ready to give up that goal. And it's not like it makes much of a difference, as IMHO (and seemingly not only mine) the midi file itself can be considered the source; also it works very well for the graphics base set and the only reason for the OpenSFX to NOT chose GPL is that noone composed anything dedicated for OpenTTD, but everything was retreived from existing sources with that very license.
Hazza
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hazza »

I got a couple of things underway. Hopefully in the next few days I can finish them.

edit: I haven't listened to the TTD music in years, so it's possible I subliminally copied or completely composed out of context. But you get the idea.
Attachments
Electric Caboose.mid
(4.21 KiB) Downloaded 12748 times
Little Blue Box Car.mid
(6.16 KiB) Downloaded 12758 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

The style sounds great for some of the more modern tracks, especially for "Electric Caboose.mid", and I dont think you have done any inadvertent copying...
Starn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Starn »

Hello. i've been keeping an eye on OpenTTD for a awhile. been playing it as well.. but i've never looked into the forums or anything until recently i redownloaded OpenTTD for i learned they supported 64bit OS's and Win7

now i am not great programmer.. probably could never code a player to play mp3's or other files by my self for sure..
though if someone does look into this i might suggest Fmod http://www.fmod.org/

i am decent at wrting songs and preforming them but i normally only do classical or techno.

also for this OpenMSX i would like to submit some songs when i am finished with them.. but before doing so i have questions..
1: do i have to stick with classical jazz?
2: how would i go about even submitting them?
3: if i have to stick with jazz sounds how would i go about making a music pack with a deferent theme?
ok thats it..

for now for those who want music while playing the game i might suggest what ever music player you have
or for a low demand powerful music player can play nearly every formate known to man kinda like winamp :P
i suggest XMplay its free. and normally if you don't over load it with un needed addons it runs using less than 5mb memory. vs winamp itunes and windows media player 20-60mb
and download is either less than 1mb or is between 1 and 5.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Starn wrote: also for this OpenMSX i would like to submit some songs when i am finished with them.. but before doing so i have questions..
1: do i have to stick with classical jazz?
2: how would i go about even submitting them?
3: if i have to stick with jazz sounds how would i go about making a music pack with a deferent theme?
ok thats it..
ad 1) As there are three distinct themes available for the game music, not all of them have to be jazz as I see it
ad 2) You can either post them here or could submit them at the devzone
ad 3) Certainly also possible. But I think there's still a bit of space left within OpenMSX :-) and IMHO we should rather strive to get one set done before we start a 2nd one ;-)

I'm looking forward to literally hear (something) from you ;-)
jammydodger
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jammydodger »

Hi all,
Currently I an running Anvil Studio. I have seen Guitar Pro and, although it has a good sound variety, it is a little too complicated for my liking. Is there anything with Anvil's simplicity and Guitar Pro's range of sounds?
If so, then I might do some MIDIs for you. I've tried in Anvil but the lack of proper percussion has thrown me (I am a drummer myself).

Cheers, James

Return to “General OpenTTD”