32bit Extra Zoom Graphics Works In Progress

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

ArmEagle
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: [32bpp] Extra zoom levels Graphics

Post by ArmEagle »

Varivar wrote:Here's the 32bpp forest for both temperate and arctic climate. All sprites are coded for OpenGFX. Maquinista, could you please add the forest to the default industries tar file, I don't have ownership of that file.
The arctic trees look really nice. But the temperate ones just look so woolly.

Those other 32bpp trees are completely different, with clear shadows/dark areas. That spruce to the top-right simply looks way better to me.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Varivar wrote:Here's the 32bpp forest for both temperate and arctic climate. All sprites are coded for OpenGFX. Maquinista, could you please add the forest to the default industries tar file, I don't have ownership of that file.
Nice trees.... ¡And nice fences! (better than my untextured shapes)

I have added these sprites, and I have optimiced the power station sprites.

http://jupix.info/openttd/gfxdev-repo/i ... file&id=41
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

ArmEagle wrote:
The arctic trees look really nice. But the temperate ones just look so woolly.

Those other 32bpp trees are completely different, with clear shadows/dark areas. That spruce to the top-right simply looks way better to me.
I can see what you mean. I'll try to add some more contrast to the tree, which should be possible with Blender.

---
edit: I attached a version with more contrast. At least it looks better now when zoomed out. I hope you like this one better. I can't get it in the style of the other spruce however, I don't really think it's drawn with ngPlant and Blender anyways.
Attachments
forest.png
forest.png (497.79 KiB) Viewed 6622 times
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Maybe the forest could be done with using the already made trees. As these ones do stick out. Just putting them into a line. So they wouldn't stick out so differently but yet would be grouped. Something similar to what I did for tropic rubber and fruit plantations for OpenGFX
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
tsjook
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by tsjook »

LordAzamath wrote:Maybe the forest could be done with using the already made trees.
This is also done with the ECS vectors forest I believe. Just play the 'wood vector' in toyland and see... :wink:
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

LordAzamath wrote:Maybe the forest could be done with using the already made trees. As these ones do stick out. Just putting them into a line. So they wouldn't stick out so differently but yet would be grouped. Something similar to what I did for tropic rubber and fruit plantations for OpenGFX
Well, it's just a matter of taste which tree is better and which of the two sticks out, but indeed the single tree can be used for the forest. The snow version will need some more work then.

-edit:
here are the updated sprites (coded), do with it what you want.
Attachments
32bpp_forest.tar
(610 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

IMHO, the tree's could be a bit more snowy. But still very nice.
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
toooomas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by toooomas »

Very nice indeed. It has to stick out a little bit, because it is an industry and when you look the original forest it is also a bit different than the other trees.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

I have fixed most of the bridge sprites. My idea is leave the blue asphalt in the wooden bridge, because It should look a bit "older" than other asphalt. The bridge entrances would have a smooth transition between the gray and blue asphalt. Do You like this idea?

Other idea: replace other "repeated" bridge (not the wooden bridge) with a brick bridge:
http://cgtextures.com/texview.php?id=17 ... a038bb3245

The only problem is that I am not a good modeler. Also, the bridge columns would look odd with not straight railways or roads. but this bridge would look nice in the game. It would take some time to model it, and I prefer to fix all the bridges, and release a update of the monorail tiles (with lines and no lines).
toooomas wrote:Very nice indeed. It has to stick out a little bit, because it is an industry and when you look the original forest it is also a bit different than the other trees.
I think that the ground is enough sufficient to see it. If You want find a forest industry faster, You can hide the trees, find a forest (these trees can be seen), and show the trees again. It's very fast.

I think that the forest is enough good, and It doesn't need more changes.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

maquinista wrote:I have fixed most of the bridge sprites. My idea is leave the blue asphalt in the wooden bridge, because It should look a bit "older" than other asphalt. The bridge entrances would have a smooth transition between the gray and blue asphalt. Do You like this idea?
Old asphalt looks light gray instead of blue, so a transition from black/dark gray to light gray would be better.
Other idea: replace other "repeated" bridge (not the wooden bridge) with a brick bridge:
http://cgtextures.com/texview.php?id=17 ... a038bb3245

The only problem is that I am not a good modeler. Also, the bridge columns would look odd with not straight railways or roads. but this bridge would look nice in the game. It would take some time to model it, and I prefer to fix all the bridges, and release a update of the monorail tiles (with lines and no lines).
Which other repeated bridge do you mean? I can model it, but I need the original graphics for comparison.
toooomas wrote:Very nice indeed. It has to stick out a little bit, because it is an industry and when you look the original forest it is also a bit different than the other trees.
I think that the ground is enough sufficient to see it. If You want find a forest industry faster, You can hide the trees, find a forest (these trees can be seen), and show the trees again. It's very fast.
I don't think he didn't know this feature. The forest trees should look different compared to the other trees, but it's style should be the same. Unfortunately I can't get my trees in the same style as Bemn Robbins tree, which has probably to do with the used programs.
I think that the forest is enough good, and It doesn't need more changes.
Thanks. Could you please update the industry tar file with my updated forest trees.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Varivar wrote:Old asphalt looks light gray instead of blue, so a transition from black/dark gray to light gray would be better.
Ok. I will try some variations and I will show them here.
Varivar wrote:Which other repeated bridge do you mean? I can model it, but I need the original graphics for comparison.
There are six repeated bridges. The original game has three suspension bridges, three cantilever bridges and three tubular bridges. They have different colors in game (I'm finishing their sprite masks), but I would prefer to have a GRF with different bridges types. Some time ago, I released a GRF file with some extra bridges:
It has some bugs (It replaces the long span of the suspension bridge) and I will fix it. There are three "free" bridges slots that could be filled with other bridges models. I replaced two concrete bridges (road and monorail). I don't want to replace more not-repated bridges (like other GRF brige sets), because I think that Northstar2 did a great job, and their bridge models are great.

This is my idea of the brick viaduct:
Varivar wrote:Thanks. Could you please update the industry tar file with my updated forest trees.
I will update it tonight.
kratt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kratt »

me likes.
kratt
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Maquinista,

Is it possible to have these bridge as a tar without a newgrf? I know there is a tar with bridges from Northstar, but I think they are much too dark. And I'd like to have your bridges in the megapack, though some of it may be improved, they have much more of the OTTD atmosphere: bright, happy and colourful. Well done.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

GeekToo wrote:Maquinista,

Is it possible to have these bridge as a tar without a newgrf? I know there is a tar with bridges from Northstar, but I think they are much too dark. And I'd like to have your bridges in the megapack, though some of it may be improved, they have much more of the OTTD atmosphere: bright, happy and colourful. Well done.
Yes, You can include it, CC BY license allows it:
http://wiki.openttd.org/32bpp_Extra_Zoo ... BTAR_files

I hope that It doesn't have bugs.

About Wotan waypoints: this file fails. I don't know why, I am not a good new stations coder.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

This is a preview version of the GRF file with papermill made by Berberjesus. It's is a single GRF.

The GRF file is not finished, It is only a preview. Maybe I can make a better GRF file with other industries like the Lumbermill or the Printing works. But this idea will take some time, because It needs more GRF coding. Also, the entrance building of printing works can be better. I have abandoned the idea of replace a full set like ECS o FIRS is a lot of work. OpenTTD allows 64 industries.

This papermill accepts wood and produces goods (in temperate climate) and paper (in Arctic climate).
It allows 4 ramdom orientations. It is based on forest, this means that It will have some features of forests (like the construction text in newspaper). It is called "Modern papermill" and it has a light grey color in map.

Attachments
papermill.tar
(1.76 MiB) Downloaded 464 times
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by neob »

maquinista wrote:the idea of replace a full set like ECS o FIRS is a lot of work.
iirc some NewGRF's like the AV8 used 3D Models and not pixel art, so adding support for 32bpp should be fairly easy on those ,anyway its just a note.
personally i would love to see 2CC train set and the industrial stations in 32bpp but those thing will happen on their own when the 32bpp Opengfx will show progress.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

maquinista wrote:I have abandoned the idea of replace a full set like ECS o FIRS is a lot of work.
What one *could* possibly do is the following:

Have this newgrf check for the presence of certain newgrfs where it could be a replacement. Depending upon the newgrf found, you activate a different replacement. If you want it as a simple replacement, which could be used statically, it would involve toobey the different industry layouts which might turn out a bit tedious... so maybe not the easiest or brightest idea anyway.
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

This file is not working anymore: http://jupix.info/openttd/gfxdev-repo/i ... file&id=42 (Foundations)

I think it is a result of the spriterenumbering in the extra grf.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

I will try to update the foundations file, because is boring to update this file every time that the Extra GRF is modified.
Xand
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Xand »

I've finished the renumbering of the ECS Printing works and the Lumber Mill. However I came across sprites for the Lumber Mill that are never going to be used not in the 8-bit version so therefore also not in the 32-bit version. The unused sprites respresent the version on the left. I've attached all the unused sprites in a seperate archive file.
ecswoodw.zip
(663.88 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
400px-5-lumbermill-b_172.jpg
In the tar file below are the licenses which were included in the orginal files, the grf file and of course the sprites of the ECS Printing works and the Lumber Mill.
ecs_woodw.tar
(1.86 MiB) Downloaded 314 times

Return to “Graphics Development”