[Base Music] OpenMSX v0.3.1

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OTTD Music Replacement Project

Post by Samwise »

montan1 wrote:I suggest that when we have a full set of free midi's, it could be an option to download them in mp3 format with better quality. It could be just like downloading GFX, for those who are interested. I have attached an example of what that could sound like. Enjoy! :D
That sounds very cool :D One thing I do realize now when listening this version, I should put the bass-line an octave lower. Will work on that now, or tomorrow-morning :)

And thanks for the replies, of course :)!

EDIT: Well, time left, so..
Attachments
OpenTTDproject.mid
(39.88 KiB) Downloaded 2289 times
Roy-Nilsen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Roy-Nilsen »

:idea: :arrow: What about just remake the good old music... that would be the best.
Last edited by Roy-Nilsen on 09 Feb 2010 14:33, edited 2 times in total.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Roy-Nilsen wrote:What about just remake the good old music... that would be the best.
:idea: :arrow: How about you purchasing a copy of good old TTD-Win from somewhere and using the music from that? Then nobody has to remake anything and you have the music you prefer.
montan1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by montan1 »

Roy-Nilsen: yeah, it would probably be the best to puchase the good old music... in midi format. In the meantime; "someone" has made a free cover version of these songs :wink:
(for no personal gain or profit) 8)

http://folk.ntnu.no/mariber/transport_t ... usic09.zip
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

How does this post help the project? :roll:
montan1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by montan1 »

Good question! It could be an illustration of the effect of mp3'izing of midi files perhaps. :wink:
If someone have composing skills or know people who are good at composing who could compose a midi file for the project, I could certainly do some of the sampling/mixing work. :)
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

montan1 wrote:Good question! It could be an illustration of the effect of mp3'izing of midi files perhaps. :wink:
If someone have composing skills or know people who are good at composing who could compose a midi file for the project, I could certainly do some of the sampling/mixing work. :)
Well, have a go at my song I'd say. :) Just scroll up ;)
Psyco
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Psyco »

Hello all,

I'm a big fan of OpenTTD and as a part time music composer and sound engineer i'm willing and capable of producing original music in whatever form is required for the project. I've seen suggestions of using midi, mp3, ogg, etc. Personally it doesn't make much difference, but if we can code for a proper music format, probably ogg as it generates the smallest file format then there's no variation in the resulting music quality depending on what midi sound fonts are installed on each users machine.

I haven't read the whole thread so I'm not sure what stage we're up to, but i'll be working on a couple of different tracks. What styles are we looking for now? Are we sticking to the original light jazz style of the originals, or do we perhaps want to look at some more popular styles, hip hop, rap, rock, metal, classical? The creative possibilities are endless, it just needs to be guided by that the community wants.
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

Psyco wrote:Hello all,

I'm a big fan of OpenTTD and as a part time music composer and sound engineer i'm willing and capable of producing original music in whatever form is required for the project. I've seen suggestions of using midi, mp3, ogg, etc. Personally it doesn't make much difference, but if we can code for a proper music format, probably ogg as it generates the smallest file format then there's no variation in the resulting music quality depending on what midi sound fonts are installed on each users machine.

I haven't read the whole thread so I'm not sure what stage we're up to, but i'll be working on a couple of different tracks. What styles are we looking for now? Are we sticking to the original light jazz style of the originals, or do we perhaps want to look at some more popular styles, hip hop, rap, rock, metal, classical? The creative possibilities are endless, it just needs to be guided by that the community wants.
Hello! If you read the wiki it states that all genres can be used, as long as the others like it :) The original plan was to stick to the original style, but refreshment is always welcome!
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Psyco wrote:if we can code for a proper music format, probably ogg as it generates the smallest file format then there's no variation in the resulting music quality depending on what midi sound fonts are installed on each users machine.
currently, nothing other than midi can be played by OpenTTD, and it is rather unlikely that this is changed in the near future.
Mr. Ksoft
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mr. Ksoft »

Hello. Long time OpenTTD player, not very long time forumer (well, I registered quite a while ago... I logged in just now to see that my last login was in October of 2005!)

After seeing that OpenTTD needed some music, I set to work digging through my archive of stuff I've written and started to fix up a decent tune for it. I've uploaded the current version; I think it needs some tweaks but I'm not sure what. The genre is more modern than the usual TTD music, but would probably fit well once the player gets to MagLevs and stuff. (Admittedly, OpenTTD doesn't change the music based on the year, like Locomotion did, but if it did that's where this would go)
Attachments
project42b.mid
(28.97 KiB) Downloaded 1852 times
Timmaexx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timmaexx »

:bow: Very nice one! At 2.29 there's a little jump, doesn't fit in this song!

The suggestion of changing music after some couple of years is very good! Never thought about it....
Trolley Trev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Trolley Trev »

Hi there

As an occassional player (and lover) of openTTD I happened to see this topic on the homepage. As yet, I've had nothing which I could contribute to the developement of openTTD but writing music, that I can do.

So here is my contribution. Please let me know what you think :)
Keep On Rollin.mid
Removed the apostrophe at end of filename so you can get title!
Tried to balance instrument volumes in some places. Tried to stop abrupt ending.
(91.92 KiB) Downloaded 1768 times
Updated the MIDI

- Renamed without the apostrophe on the end of filename so you actually get the title!
- Adjusted some instrument volumes in places
- Tried to stop the abrubt ending
Last edited by Trolley Trev on 20 Feb 2010 07:06, edited 3 times in total.
Trolley Trev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Trolley Trev »

Mr Ksoft

You piece is good but if I could make one change to it, it would be this:

I would remove the snare drum from every quaver and replace it with a hi-hat as it sounds too abrasive to me. (Although, that is just my opinion)

Other than that, good effort :)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Timmaexx wrote: The suggestion of changing music after some couple of years is very good! Never thought about it....
Technically, that shouldn't be very difficult. OpenTTD already has a concept of different style "playlists", so they could be automatically switched on certain triggers, but that might be out of scope for "base" music sets... more like "newgrf" music sets...
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

I just listened through the last three submissions here, and I can only say: great stuff!

SamWise, Mr Ksoft, Trolley Trev, would you license your contributions under both, GPL v2+ and the Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0 license? This would allow a music set greater flexibility, if there come less flexible people with exellent contributions ;-)

Lokally the music set of your three works works nicely here, but I need to sort out the license stuff (e.g. get your agreement to the above terms) before I can publish anything :-)
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

I'm sorry, but I'm not used to licenses and stuff. :oops: However, feel free to license my contribution under both these licenses if you believe that's the right way to do it :).
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Samwise wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm not used to licenses and stuff. :oops: However, feel free to license my contribution under both these licenses if you believe that's the right way to do it :).
Those licenses are free, and are ment to allow others to be able to get your works for free. So you should go get those licenses so that people can listen to your music for free in openttd
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Trolley Trev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Trolley Trev »

Hi there.

I'm not overly familiar with licences etc but I am more than happy for my work to be released for free with OpenTTD. If those licences are the way to go then count me in. :)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Trolley Trev wrote:Hi there.

I'm not overly familiar with licences etc but I am more than happy for my work to be released for free with OpenTTD. If those licences are the way to go then count me in. :)
yeah, for the content to be released legally and freely its kinda manditory that you use GPL v2+ and the Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0. Besides, then you can officially say its yours incase someone tries to rip your work off :)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!

Return to “General OpenTTD”