[Base Music] OpenMSX v0.3.1

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OTTD Music Replacement Project

Post by Samwise »

dgriff wrote: [*]The strings and bassline clash in m. 3 and every similar instance. You're spelling a III chord in the strings which uses a Bb while the bassline is emphasizing that B by leaping down to it. You might want this effect, but it stood out unpleasantly to me.
Fixed that one, I just wrote the note down wrongly, as it was intented to be a Bb in the bassline. Well spotted!
dgriff wrote: [*]The bass gets in the way of the guitar during the guitar's part. Check out the ends of mm. 27 and 28. Those chromatic passing tones in the bass aren't doing you any favors. Simplify the bassline or get it out of the way somehow.
It's my personal flavor to keep these passing tones in, it gives a bluesy touch with the guitar solo and the bassline itself in my opinion, so I'd like to keep it this way.
dgriff wrote: [*]M. 38, again the bassline is out in left field while the other parts trying to get something done.
Again, fixed. Forgot to write new lines for the final part.

As for the strings, I chose them to fill the song a bit with more sounds, and it sounds well in my opinion, so let's hear some more opinions on that point. I only changed the piano part in m.30, as that one was experimental, as I couldn't get the right chords down. 29 and 31 remain the same, as it gives some (as you already state) progressive touch to the song, which I like.

What you said about the ending of m.16. I don't believe that's a ripoff, it's just a standard riff used in jazz- and blues-music, so it's not really copying.

Again about the harmony part, I chose to keep it simple, that's all. I'll be working on more variable strings though.

The next two points are just a matter of taste. I like laying down a starting bottom to build up. In example here, the bassline starts, with the drumming pattern and some strings. Then the trumpets kick in, and when they are finished, the piano and the guitar kicks in. I adapted this style of song writing from my jazz-sessions. At these sessions everyone plays after eachother. You first get a trumpet solo on the basics, then a guitar solo, piano, flute, etc etc..

Cheers at the final point! At least you've shown me that you know I think a lot, and re-write a lot when composing a song. This one took 5 hours already, for just 2 minutes of music. :|
petern wrote:It sounds a bit muddy, at least in this render, using fluidsynth and the fluid GM soundfont.
http://fuzzle.org/~petern/ottd/Audio-1264879973.ogg
Whoa! What kind of MIDI table was that? :? It sounds an awefull lot different here. I'll try to convert this one to .mp3, hang on.

EDIT: And the new version, of course ;)

EDIT2: Here's what it sounds like here.
Attachments
OpenTTDprojectFinal.mid
(31.52 KiB) Downloaded 2597 times
OpenTTDprojectFinal.mp3
(1.5 MiB) Downloaded 394 times
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

You are doing a good job. Making music is something I don't think I will ever get good at doing. I tried one of those music creation programs where you dropped sounds on different channels but it didn't come out any masterpieces. :-p

The distinct sounds that I would describe as walking down a stair at around 00:38 in the mp3-file in the trumpet part I think is kind of a main feature and could come later in the trumpet part. (This sound is like a few distinct tones - I'm unable to tell if they go up or down in frequency though)

This is just a suggestion though.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Timmaexx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timmaexx »

So since a few days, its possible to distribute music via BaNaNaS.
When will the first teaser be uploaded, so people know there's a development?
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

Zuu wrote:You are doing a good job. Making music is something I don't think I will ever get good at doing. I tried one of those music creation programs where you dropped sounds on different channels but it didn't come out any masterpieces. :-p

The distinct sounds that I would describe as walking down a stair at around 00:38 in the mp3-file in the trumpet part I think is kind of a main feature and could come later in the trumpet part. (This sound is like a few distinct tones - I'm unable to tell if they go up or down in frequency though)

This is just a suggestion though.
They go down :) I'll certainly consider this, trying to put it around more in the song.
Timmaexx wrote: So since a few days, its possible to distribute music via BaNaNaS.
May I?
-lucas-
Engineer
Engineer

Post by -lucas- »

jvlomax wrote:sure.........but could you write something like "a day in the life" with all that? Just because someone does/doesn't follow the rules doesn't mean that it will become good/bad. The beatles couldn't even read sheet music until the later part of their career, yet they have writtien some of the most inovative music. You should let poeple compose like they want, not limit them to follow "modern" compsing techniques. I'm not trying to start a flame war, just giving you some pointers how not to punch the wind out of someone and make them feel like lesser composers.
You and I agree. At work, one of the things i do is give feedback to composers for our games. I would -never- give feedback on a note- or progression level. I might comment on if I think something works, is in the range of what we would like, and some broad pointers on what I think could improve. Usually, after feedback, the piece turns out great and something else is introduced that the composer felt needed. This topic here just turned into a school-environment where the teacher analyzes a piece and gives grades.

The problem with this grading approach is that it will scare away composers and will keep others from joining. To every composer that is thinking about joining: write what YOU like and don't compose co-productions unless you want to yourself.

I once worked with a composer and a director and that director started giving comments like "that line over there, that goes down, i would like it to go up". That's the moment where you realize you're in trouble. The composer made clear that it was his music and the director understood his point of view. The general feedback was taken into account and the piece turned out great.

So again, good luck and keep the creativity flowing ;)
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Samwise wrote:They go down :)
Logically I though they would go down, but couldn't make it out from the recording. (but to my defense I have a moderate hearing loss)
Samwise wrote:I'll certainly consider this, trying to put it around more in the song.
Just don't overuse them them if they should remain being a main feature.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Timmaexx wrote:So since a few days, its possible to distribute music via BaNaNaS.
Who care's if people know that there is development? People can visit this thread if they want any urgent updates.
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

petert wrote:
Timmaexx wrote:So since a few days, its possible to distribute music via BaNaNaS.
Who care's if people know that there is development? People can visit this thread if they want any urgent updates.
I must say I would've found out about this project much earlier when something was put on BaNaNaS, so he's got a point.
Timmaexx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timmaexx »

Samwise wrote:
petert wrote:
I must say I would've found out about this project much earlier when something was put on BaNaNaS, so he's got a point.
Thanks ;) , not everyone is looking at the forums!
And i belive there are more people, who can now contribute sth., 'cause they cannot code or draw but make music.
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

Okay, I really couldn't think of anything else, so this is the final version so far. If anyone has any suggestions/idea's, do share :)
Attachments
OpenTTDprojectFinal.mp3
(1.79 MiB) Downloaded 345 times
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Samwise wrote:Okay, I really couldn't think of anything else, so this is the final version so far. If anyone has any suggestions/idea's, do share :)
shouldn't that be a midi file? Unless openttd supports mp3 now for music you need to keep it midi
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

I converted it to mp3 due to different midi-tables people have. I have the midi-file on my pc, and will put it online when people want to use it :).
Timmaexx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timmaexx »

Heh, very nice on! :wink:
Should be uploaded :!:
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Oh dear, seems Fluidsynth was running at the wrong sample rate, hence it played back incorrectly... It sounds better at the correct rate, but still a bit cluttered.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

petern wrote:Oh dear, seems Fluidsynth was running at the wrong sample rate, hence it played back incorrectly... It sounds better at the correct rate, but still a bit cluttered.
I'm not sure what you mean with "cluttered". Could you send me a link to it? Here's the final MIDI file btw.
Attachments
OpenTTDprojectFinal.mid
(39.91 KiB) Downloaded 2432 times
Michiel
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Michiel »

Sam: I like it :D
I know how to code, but creating music is magic to me. This really captures the spirit of the original game, and I think that's exactly what most people want.
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

Just for people to try out my song ingame, I've uploaded the .gm file. Just put this file in your \gm folder, and don't forget to replace "gm_tt01.gm" in that folder, as it will be replaced. Once done, boot up openttd, and run track 12, Snarl Up.
Attachments
gm_tt01.rar
(3.59 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Samwise wrote:Here's the final MIDI file btw.
I don't know much about the theorethicals behind music, but I know when something sounds good. And this one really does! It captures the spirit of the original very well, very well done!
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Samwise wrote:Just for people to try out my song ingame, I've uploaded the .gm file. Just put this file in your \gm folder, and don't forget to replace "gm_tt01.gm" in that folder, as it will be replaced. Once done, boot up openttd, and run track 12, Snarl Up.
I have to admit, this sounds pretty good, i even played the game to this for a while.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
montan1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by montan1 »

I suggest that when we have a full set of free midi's, it could be an option to download them in mp3 format with better quality. It could be just like downloading GFX, for those who are interested. I have attached an example of what that could sound like. Enjoy! :D
Attachments
OpenTTDproject_resampled.mp3
(2.5 MiB) Downloaded 327 times

Return to “General OpenTTD”