Emperor Jake's Graphics - Development Thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Emperor Jake's Graphics - Development Thread

Post by Emperor Jake »

Hi everyone,
This is the development thread for my train grf's.
There is the Austrian set (ATS); it will include Austrian Federal (OBB) Railways trains in real liveries.
The Generic European Train set (GES) includes various European locomotives in 2cc.
The Generic European Freight Car Set, which are freight cars for use with both sets.

If you have any suggestions for improvement, bugs or good ideas, please tell me. :D

Feel free to make your European set to be compatible with my freight cars in the future! You won't have to make your own freight cars and draw all the loading stages etc...
I plan for the freight cars to be in partial company colours like PikkaBird's Project 1000. There will be many random liveries on each carriage, so no two trains look the same. It will also have ECS, PBI and FIRS compatibility.
The Austrian set will use many of the same graphics as the GES, just recoloured.

The set I've been working on most lately is the Generic European Train set.
The Generic European Train Set release thread http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=47097

Thanks and Enjoy,
Jake

(This is now the development thread for all 3 trainsets, release threads will be made when I make a release.)
Attachments
obbsettest1.grf
Here's a test grf I made with GRFMaker. Let me know what you think.
It's the Rh 1044 for the Austrian set.
(4.51 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
OBB Set Specs.xls
The specs for the vehicles (incomplete)
(44.5 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
Samples of trains I drew
Samples of trains I drew
samples.png (2.83 KiB) Viewed 8384 times
Last edited by Emperor Jake on 07 Feb 2010 06:35, edited 3 times in total.
Sensation Lover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Austrian Railways Trainset-ÖBB Set (WIP - Coders Requested)

Post by Sensation Lover »

Very nice looking graphics! Can't wait to test it this evening (or even earlier)!
Thanks!
I was in:
Austria,Belgium,Brazil,China,France,Germany,Hungary,Indonesia,Italy,Luxemburg,Malaysia,Mexico,Netherlands,Norway,Panamà,Poland,Romania,
Saudi Arabia,Singapore,Slovenia,Spain,Switzerland,Thailand,U.K.,Ukraine,U.S.A.
Jimbow
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Jimbow »

This looks like a very nice set! :D
For a long time there has been missing an ÖBB set!

Please show more sprites or screenshots. :)

I really like your idea about a Generic European Freight Car Set! The freight cars looks pretty much the same all over europe, so it's a bit stupid that all sets have freight cars that looks about the same.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Emperor Jake wrote:I have drawn some sprites for locomotives and passenger carriages, using my models as er... models. :)
I don't know much about coding, so I would appreciate help with advanced parts like push-pull trains and stuff.
Jake, they're nice. Using models as models is probably a pretty good route, it helps visualise which details can be eliminated. I'm sure Lego is a massive influence on my pixel art for this reason :)

You should talk to DJ Nekkid, he'll probably be along here in a bit anyway...the code for the 2CC set is what you need. You'd need to GPL your set, and use a repository on the OpenTTD Coop Devzone. Both are good things.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

As saied in both a PM and by Andy, im codeing the 2cc set, and that is _soon_ done. Basicly some playtesting and adding the few last missing pieces left.

When this is done will i start doing a Dutch Trainset version 2, and it is probably not hard to add this set to along the same lines, as most stuff from the dutch set then can be more or less copy/pasted into this set :D
Member of the
ImageImage
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Emperor Jake's Graphics - Austrian Trains!

Post by Emperor Jake »

Ok, here's what I'm doing. I'm making 3 separate sets:
1: An ÖBB trainset composed of Austrian trains from 1900 to 2050 with real life liveries. (WIP)
2: A generic Central European Train Set with many locos from Austria, Germany, Switzerland and other parts of Europe, in Dual Company Colours. Will include trains from 1840 to 2050. (WIP)
3: A generic freight car set to complement both sets, which will be in part-CC and part brown, because most European freight cars are brown or their respectiv colours. This set will hopefully be new industries compatible with ECS, PBI and FIRS, and have many different livery variations. (Planning stage)
4: An Italian Trenitalia Set in real liveries (DO NOT ask about this please, it's just speculation for now.)

I would like to ask you, which do you prefer: Real liveries or Company Colours?

Another thing, would someone please tell me how to code push-pull trains like in the NARS2? I would appreciate it very much. I do know some grf coding, but I still need to learn a lot of the advanced stuff.

Thanks,
Jake
Attachments
Some passenger carriages I drew for the Austrian set. Also there is the OBB's new high speed train, the Railjet.
Some passenger carriages I drew for the Austrian set. Also there is the OBB's new high speed train, the Railjet.
sample.png (5.57 KiB) Viewed 8126 times
Last edited by Emperor Jake on 21 Jan 2010 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Emperor Jake wrote:would someone please tell me how to code push-pull trains like in the NARS2? I would appreciate it very much.
Simple trickery; the locomotive gets a carriage-like graphic, and the last carriage gets a locomotive-like graphic.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

PikkaBird wrote:
Emperor Jake wrote:would someone please tell me how to code push-pull trains like in the NARS2? I would appreciate it very much.
Simple trickery; the locomotive gets a carriage-like graphic, and the last carriage gets a locomotive-like graphic.
Yes, I know how your set works, Pikka. But I don't know how to code these advanced things. Is it at all possible in GRFMaker or do I have to do it "by hand"?

Also, how exactly do I GPL my set?

Thanks,
Jake
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Emperor Jake wrote:Yes, I know how your set works, Pikka. But I don't know how to code these advanced things. Is it at all possible in GRFMaker or do I have to do it "by hand"?
It's possible in grfmaker, but you have to know how to do it by hand (and, imo, if you know what you're doing at all, coding by hand is both faster and easier than grfmaker).

Technically, it's a var2 testing variable FE/FF.
Also, how exactly do I GPL my set?
You release it under the GPL. This is a legal requirement of reusing code released under the GPL (the licence is "viral" in this way), unless you get the original author(s)'s permission to do otherwise.
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Emperor Jake wrote: 4: An Italian Trenitalia Set in real liveries (DO NOT ask about this please, it's just speculation for now.)
Ahem :p

That's my long-term project as well. I've already started a tracking table behind the scenes, and have also drawn a couple of small steamers in my spare time.
I was planning to start it after I finish the French Set (which I am still, and continuously, working on almost daily). It might take a few years to finish the FRset, though. Anyway, an Italian set would be *much simpler* than a French one, so it would take less time to complete (and I was planning to use the French freight wagons I'm currently drawing for the Italian set too). But if there is enough interest, we could start jointly doing it, or at least planning it.
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Snail wrote:
Emperor Jake wrote: 4: An Italian Trenitalia Set in real liveries (DO NOT ask about this please, it's just speculation for now.)
Ahem :p

That's my long-term project as well. I've already started a tracking table behind the scenes, and have also drawn a couple of small steamers in my spare time.
I was planning to start it after I finish the French Set (which I am still, and continuously, working on almost daily). It might take a few years to finish the FRset, though. Anyway, an Italian set would be *much simpler* than a French one, so it would take less time to complete (and I was planning to use the French freight wagons I'm currently drawing for the Italian set too). But if there is enough interest, we could start jointly doing it, or at least planning it.
Well, I was planning to make the Italian set to go with the generic European freight cars, the idea is to have one unufied set of freight cars for all European sets. I understand if you don't want to do this, but how about if you skip the freight cars in the French set and make it compatible with the GEFC set, which will go well with any European set. I would also be happy to help draw and/or code Italian trains for the Trenitalia set :D

Basically, all you would have to do for the French set is draw MUs, locos and pax/mail wagons, and leave IDs 82-115 free for the freight cars. Just speculation. The Italian set would be the same.

What do you think?
- Jake :)
Attachments
Just a sample of a Hbikks sliding wall van of the GEFC set; it comes in 12 varieties!
Just a sample of a Hbikks sliding wall van of the GEFC set; it comes in 12 varieties!
Hbikks.png (4.08 KiB) Viewed 7983 times
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Emperor Jake wrote: [...] generic European freight cars, the idea is to have one unufied set of freight cars for all European sets
That´s a weird idea and I don´t think any author of a serious European train set will support it. Firstly, each set needs early freight waggons (i.e. late into the 60s!) which are generally quite different, and secondly, even in modern (UIC) years, the freight waggon scheme is still too different within Europe.

BTW, that´s not the first attempt for such a "generic freight waggon" set. Try the search function.

regards
Michael
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Jake, I understand your point of view, and as Michael said, this would not be the first attempt to create an international freight wagon set.

As for me, I tend to share Michael's doubts about this. In the early years, the French set will have such a wide variety of freight wagons that each type of wagon will have to change livery and looks according to the engine it is attached to. This means the freight wagons will have to be specifically drawn and fully integrated with the rest of the set.

As for the Italian set, it will be a simpler one (train-wise, Italy has never even been close to have such a wide variety France had) but still, I think the best result would be achieved if the freight wagons are developed together with the set. I was thinking about deriving them from the French ones, so that it would take less time to do them, but they would eventually need some "italianization" process.

However, if you draw some freight wagons, they still can be used as a base to speed up the process! :)

The idea of developing together an Italian set is intriguing :D I wouldn't mind doing all the drawing (I would actually enjoy it), but I'm not a coder. However, this would be a long-term project...
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Jake - I don't find the idea weird. I've travelled around Europe by train. Also, I knew a *lot* about trains when I was a kid. Except to the expert eye, many freight wagons of many European countries look similar.

The differences that do exist will also be significantly less relevant at 32px. I'd say carry on.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

andythenorth wrote:Jake - I don't find the idea weird. I've travelled around Europe by train. Also, I knew a *lot* about trains when I was a kid. Except to the expert eye, many freight wagons of many European countries look similar.

The differences that do exist will also be significantly less relevant at 32px. I'd say carry on.
Thanks for the encouragement, Andy. I appreciate it :)
Snail wrote:Jake, I understand your point of view, and as Michael said, this would not be the first attempt to create an international freight wagon set.

As for me, I tend to share Michael's doubts about this. In the early years, the French set will have such a wide variety of freight wagons that each type of wagon will have to change livery and looks according to the engine it is attached to. This means the freight wagons will have to be specifically drawn and fully integrated with the rest of the set.

As for the Italian set, it will be a simpler one (train-wise, Italy has never even been close to have such a wide variety France had) but still, I think the best result would be achieved if the freight wagons are developed together with the set. I was thinking about deriving them from the French ones, so that it would take less time to do them, but they would eventually need some "italianization" process.

However, if you draw some freight wagons, they still can be used as a base to speed up the process! :)

The idea of developing together an Italian set is intriguing :D I wouldn't mind doing all the drawing (I would actually enjoy it), but I'm not a coder. However, this would be a long-term project...
I'd be happy to code the Italian trains later on, especially since I've now formed a routine I use to code vehicles, using a mixture of Pikkabird's sprite templates and GRFMaker.

Also, the GEFC set is "representative", similar to, for example, the way the Type 4 in the UKRS is representative of all British type 4 locomotives. Even though there were rather large differences in appearance between the classes 48, 44 and 50, they are all represented as one locomotive type in the UKRS. However, every wagon in the set will have several random livery variations, so nno two freight trains will look the same.

Thanks,
Jake
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Emperor Jake's Graphics - Development Thread

Post by SwissFan91 »

Having tried the set, here's my view:

1) I don't know anything about graphic drawing, but are the carriages a little close together?
2) Is the lack of DMU/EMU trains for a reason? Are just just focusing on the locomotives or are you going to draw some EMUs?

Don't take this the wrong way, as it is a very good set in the making :)
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

jake.grimshaw wrote:Having tried the set, here's my view:

1) I don't know anything about graphic drawing, but are the carriages a little close together?
2) Is the lack of DMU/EMU trains for a reason? Are just just focusing on the locomotives or are you going to draw some EMUs?

Don't take this the wrong way, as it is a very good set in the making :)
1) They overlap each other slightly in the depot view, but on the track they look like the link in my sig.
2) Yes, the GES set will include some DMUs and EMUs eventually; but if you want to use this together with the 2cc set for more MU's etc. feel free. I encourage use of the engine pool.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Here is a tracking table of the GEFC set. It includes all cargo definitions and specs. Please comment, post ideas or criticisms that you may have.
Thanks,
Jake
Attachments
GEFC Table.xls
(23 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
trainboy2004
Director
Director

Post by trainboy2004 »

I don't know or it's possible to code articulated wagons. If so, then these would be a good candidate for the High-Speed Container Wagon:
:arrow: http://www.aae.ch/upload/dokgattung/SDGGMRSS-T-PB.PDF
:arrow: http://www.aae.ch/upload/dokgattung/SFF ... -ME-PB.PDF

Btw if you need sites with cargo rolling stock data, let me know. :)
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

articulated rolling stock is no problem :)
Member of the
ImageImage

Return to “Graphics Development”