Patch: Tree line height

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

loclahost
Engineer
Engineer

Patch: Tree line height

Post by loclahost »

When playing arctic maps, I have often been irritated on the fact that trees get everywhere, even where there is snow. Snow -> minus degrees -> no growth, right?

Anyway, I decided to go for it and therefor present my first patch! :D
It allows the user to set a tree line height, that is, a height at which no trees grow above, at the begining of a game.

Enjoy not having your alps covered in trees.
No trees where there's been snow for a hundred years...
No trees where there's been snow for a hundred years...
New in current version: The patch applied itself to all climates (instead of just arctic). Solved now though :)
Attachments
treelineheight_3.diff
Diff against 19135
(23.57 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
Last edited by loclahost on 15 Feb 2010 12:19, edited 9 times in total.
Paltala
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Patch: Tree line height

Post by Paltala »

Wow, that is a really simple but effective patch and could make it into trunk due to its simplicity and effectiveness
ImageImage
ImageImage
Tvel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tvel »

Cool. Nice patch.

2 problems however.
I got a crash when i tried to plant trees on the open snow.

And also i looks kinda strange with forest industries in the open with no trees, only snow.

EDIT: crash log added.
Attachments
crash.log.zip
(1.31 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by neob »

Paltala wrote:Wow, that is a really simple but effective patch
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I think the treeline should be defined totally separately from the snowline, it looks wierd having no trees at all above the snow line...
Tvel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tvel »

Zephyris wrote:I think the treeline should be defined totally separately from the snowline, it looks wierd having no trees at all above the snow line...
It is defined separately. Just the crash needs to be fixed :)
Attachments
screenshot_004.png
screenshot_004.png (34.62 KiB) Viewed 11446 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Ah, fair enough, good work then!
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Very well done indeed, I like this idea.

One suggestion: allow a transition of let's say 2 height levels where only small trees grow. That way trees don't just stop all of a sudden, but actually show that they have a hard time growing at greater height.
loclahost
Engineer
Engineer

Post by loclahost »

Thanks a lot for all the positive comments guys. As you can see in the first post I've updated it against todays trunk and fixed the assert.
FooBar wrote: One suggestion: allow a transition of let's say 2 height levels where only small trees grow. That way trees don't just stop all of a sudden, but actually show that they have a hard time growing at greater height.
Well, that depends on the type of mountain really. Old and compartivly flat mountains, like the swedish "fjällen" usually have a height intervall where trees get smaller and more far between.
On the other hand there's new mountains, like the alps, which are rather steep. On such mountains, the effect of thinning out the trees is almost nonexistent. You can go from compact forest to only grass in just a couple of hundred meters (been there, done that :wink:).
But thanks for the idea anyway, I'll look into it.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

just a remark: you might want to check whether this is compatible with moving snow line (implemented in some newgrfs)
loclahost
Engineer
Engineer

Post by loclahost »

Since trees don't move with the snowline, that should not be a problem. My code only introduces another condition as to whether trees can be planted on a tile. This condition has nothing to do with the snowline, except for sharing its maximum and minimum limits (which, I guess, is only used before the game starts).

Updated the diff against the current trunk: 18866
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Nice patch. I think I will include it in the moreheightlevels patch when you are done. :)

Like Eddi said, I would not let the max tree height value depend on the max snowline height value.
For them todo's, have a looksie at tile_type.h.
Also, table/settings.h and settings_type.h could use a little coding style.

ps:
May I suggest using some form of versioning with patches you post.
It gets a bit confusing if you have different versions in different folders.
There is always the solution of opening the file and looking but ... :(
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
loclahost
Engineer
Engineer

Post by loclahost »

ChillCore wrote:Nice patch. I think I will include it in the moreheightlevels patch when you are done. :)
Splendid! It's always boring to make something noone will ever use. Looking forward to your height level patch by the way, with or without this as an addition. I miss mountains...
ChillCore wrote: Like Eddi said, I would not let the max tree height value depend on the max snowline height value.
For them todo's, have a looksie at tile_type.h.
Also, table/settings.h and settings_type.h could use a little coding style.
Ah, it's always easier to do the todo's when you know how to do. Or at least where :wink: . Many thanks
ChillCore wrote: ps:
Now I'm confused too. Versioning with patches? Are there more options than the "attach file" present here in the post editor? Or are you refering to some kind of template? Currently I'm posting the patch in the first post with the revision I built it against in the file comment. Please describe your favoured way further or point me at a page describing it.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

loclahost wrote:
ChillCore wrote: ps:
Now I'm confused too. Versioning with patches? Are there more options than the "attach file" present here in the post editor? Or are you refering to some kind of template? Currently I'm posting the patch in the first post with the revision I built it against in the file comment. Please describe your favoured way further or point me at a page describing it.
Lol. I mean something like treelineheight_01.diff, treelineheight_02.diff, ..., nothing complicated.

You see when i first tested i applied your patch in my "test" folder.
Next version was against "a" moreheightlevels folder,
and the latest version(modified) against my "official" moreheightlevels patch folder.
If it were not for the little typo in the last version I would have to open all tree versions to see which is the newest.

Good luck getting it in trunk.

EDIT: Screenshot with more heightlevels attached.
Attachments
treeline.png
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
loclahost
Engineer
Engineer

Post by loclahost »

ChillCore wrote: EDIT: Screenshot with more heightlevels attached.
Sweet! Altough this really raises the need for a gradual tree line...
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Sorry to bump this, but is there any likelihood of this being put into trunk any time soon? IMHO it is one of the most useful patches made in recent months.
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
loclahost
Engineer
Engineer

Post by loclahost »

And it still builds, there hasn't been any conflicts since I last updated it. I have also played it ever since (one game to "the end") and there has been no side effects, at least that I have been aware of. If there's anything preventing it from hitting trunk, please tell me and I'll fix it.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

loclahost wrote:And it still builds, there hasn't been any conflicts since I last updated it. I have also played it ever since (one game to "the end") and there has been no side effects, at least that I have been aware of. If there's anything preventing it from hitting trunk, please tell me and I'll fix it.
Did you consider implementing the gradual tree line?
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Hello loclahost,
loclahost wrote: And it still builds, there hasn't been any conflicts since I last updated it.
Are you sure savegame has not bumped in the meantime?
loclahost wrote: If there's anything preventing it from hitting trunk, please tell me and I'll fix it.
settings.gui and table/settings.h: Still depend on snowline.
tile_type.h : Coding style.

loclahost
Engineer
Engineer

Post by loclahost »

ChillCore wrote:Hello loclahost,
loclahost wrote: And it still builds, there hasn't been any conflicts since I last updated it.
Are you sure savegame has not bumped in the meantime?
Oops, it had. I just couldn't see it in-game since I don't play without may patch. Bumped it again.
ChillCore wrote:
loclahost wrote: If there's anything preventing it from hitting trunk, please tell me and I'll fix it.
settings.gui and table/settings.h: Still depend on snowline.
tile_type.h : Coding style.
I haven't made any changes to settings_gui, so I guess you mean genworld_gui . Anyway; fixed all three of them and updated the diff in the first post. I had forgotten how space-happy the coding style is (myself being more of a tab person :wink: ).
Thank you ChillCore for pointing out my silly misstakes. I bow in your general direction :bow:. Hopefully I remember to read my own diff file next time.

CommanderZ:
Not yet. I'm lacking in IDE (and linux skills) so my traversal of the code is quite slow. But if that is something you want, I'll increase my efforts in finding where to make it work. Maybe I'll have some more time this weekend than the ten minutes I had today. Stay tuned.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”