junho2813
Engineer
Engineer

Delete town in game

Post by junho2813 »

I suggest "delete town in game".

Now, Openttd include "Found a town in game"

so, I suggest "delete town in game".

I want to delete wrong bulit town in game.
Last edited by junho2813 on 24 Dec 2009 07:17, edited 1 time in total.
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: delete town in game

Post by petert »

You have two options:
Magic Bulldozer
  1. Open Cheat Window (Ctrl + Alt + C)
  2. Turn on Magic Bulldozer
  3. Bulldoze town
    • Don't forget to turn it off, towns can delete industries when growing
Sav to scn
  1. Save your game
  2. Find the location where it is saved
  3. Change the extension to .scn
  4. Open the game in Scenario Editor
  5. Delete unwanted town
  6. Change back to .sav
junho2813
Engineer
Engineer

Post by junho2813 »

petert wrote:You have two options:
Magic Bulldozer
  3. Bulldoze town
Sav to scn
  1. Save your game
  5. Delete unwanted town
  6. Change back to .sav

hmm.... I already know this two options.

Then, "Found a town" did't need to make. Because, "Found a town" is possible your options.

My suggestion is "delete town's authority in game"
nmota81
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nmota81 »

petert wrote: 22 Dec 2009 02:55 You have two options:
Magic Bulldozer
  3. Bulldoze town
Sav to scn
  1. Save your game
  5. Delete unwanted town
  6. Change back to .sav
Hello!
I tried to do it above, but Error message - " Cant delete city - Station or depot belonging to the city " (my game not in english i translated +- )
Even when i delete all the city with bulldozer and stations...
odisseus
Director
Director

Re: Delete town in game

Post by odisseus »

Every industry on the map must belong to a town. (Try funding an industry on a map with no towns at all!)

Therefore, it's probably the industries that don't allow you to delete the town in the map editor. Try deleting all industries associated with the town before deleting the town itself.

This is also the reason why deleting a town cannot be allowed in the game even when it has zero population. Its industries would need to be either reassigned to other towns (which may break the rule of one industry of every type per town), or removed as well (which might affect other players in a negative way).
Amak
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Amak »

odisseus wrote: 15 Dec 2020 05:43This is also the reason why deleting a town cannot be allowed in the game even when it has zero population. Its industries would need to be either reassigned to other towns (which may break the rule of one industry of every type per town), or removed as well (which might affect other players in a negative way).
Is it possible that a warning dialog could display "warning, removing this town will also remove any associated industries" click ok and bang the game removes all that stuff? Then if only 1 town it just says 'warning: cannot remove, must have 1 town on map".

Just wondering maybe some limitation in code as I would also love a feature like this. (Other way sounds very cumbersome).

There is this command in source:
CMD_DELETE_TOWN
delete a town

No idea how to use it tho,
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

that's accessible from the scenario editor, there's a "delete town" button in the town window, which will trigger this command
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by andreasaspenberg »

deleting towns would be a welcome feature. another thing they could do is add an option to remove towns with 0 population. as it currently is: towns can have 0 population.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

A town is more than just a bunch of houses. To delete the town without any harmful consequences, you must first make sure that it has no industries.

Besides, a town reduced to zero population can grow back. You can even speed up the growth by funding new buildings.
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

a town without population is technical impossibility. it makes no sense to allow that in game.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

why? there are loads of abandoned ghost towns all over the world
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

those still have houses. those in transport tycoon does not.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

are you sure? there are towns that existed just as a name on a map that somebody put there to identify copyright infringement, no houses, no inhabitants. and suddenly that name became a real place where people lived. it's called a "paper town"
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

andreasaspenberg wrote: 22 Dec 2020 20:33 a town without population is technical impossibility. it makes no sense to allow that in game.
This is just false, but the problem with the OP's suggestion lies elsewhere; it has been described in the previous comments. Unless you can think of a solution to the actual problem, I think it is safe to say that deleting towns during the game, regardless of population count, will never be allowed.
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

as of right now: it is possible to tear down all buildings in a town by using dummy companies. that results in a town with 0 population, as if it have been deleted. going the extra step to make them vanish once their population is 0 is not a lot of work.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i'm sorry to be this blunt, but you have no clue what you are talking about.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

andreasaspenberg wrote: 23 Dec 2020 17:14 ...is not a lot of work.
Since you know and say so... just do it! :D
odisseus wrote: 23 Dec 2020 17:02 ...I think it is safe to say that deleting towns during the game, regardless of population count, will never be allowed.
I see no reason why removing cities in singleplayer should be prohibited. Since you can rename city, it would be just as useful at times to be able to remove cities with zero population. In this case, a warning should appear prior to deletion that all enterprises assigned to the city will disappear along with the city. If the city had stations assigned, it should remain impossible to delete.
Regarding the difficulties, I am not able to define it, but I will write that you can start the game in the scenario and delete the city there.
As for the method, maybe what I write will be stupid and pointless, but maybe the solution to delete cities during the game could be to virtually launch the game in the editor, delete the city, save the game and restart it. I don't know, maybe it would be too slow and still not that easy. I just think aloud ;)
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

Deleting a town cannot be compared to renaming, as the former is a destructive action, and the latter is just a cosmetic (and reversible) change.

Deleting a town along with its industries will thoroughly confuse any AI players that use those industries. Checking that there are no stations inside the town's authority zone is not enough to prevent the issue: an industry at the very edge of the authority zone might be served by a station that belongs to the next town.

This is one reason why deleting towns in single-player games, if it were to be allowed at all, should be a cheat like the magic bulldozer.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

odisseus wrote: 24 Dec 2020 06:25 This is one reason why deleting towns in single-player games, if it were to be allowed at all, should be a cheat like the magic bulldozer.
This option is only available in the scenario editor. At the very least, it would be unwise to remove it or consider it cheating in advance. ;)
What the player does in his own game is his business. Removing cities without buildings where only a name exists would be as cosmetic as changing the name. Perhaps, in fact, deleting cities to which some enterprises are assigned in the game could create some problems in some cases.
The idea that the possible ability to delete cities should only be available after turning on the magic bulldozer is not bad. :)
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

LaChupacabra wrote: 25 Dec 2020 11:38 Removing cities without buildings where only a name exists would be as cosmetic as changing the name.
Well, that's incorrect. Try deleting a town in the editor and try to put it back.
LaChupacabra wrote: 25 Dec 2020 11:38 Perhaps, in fact, deleting cities to which some enterprises are assigned in the game could create some problems in some cases.
These cases comprise nearly all towns on a typical map, unless you play with very dense towns or very sparse industries.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”