[OTTD] FISH....FISH FISH FISH FISH (work in progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Go fishing with the FISH ship set (tasty new test release)

Post by Nite Owl »

andythenorth wrote: I have ideas and images for paddle steamers, stern wheelers, steamers, ferries, hydrofoils, catamarans, hovercraft, all in two, three or four different sizes! :shock:
andythenorth wrote:
Nite Owl wrote: Floating Inland Ships & Hovercraft
Funky Inland Ships & Hovercraft
Formidable Inland Ships & Hovercraft
No hovercraft...rinse, repeat :)
If hydrofoils and/or hovercraft have found there way into FISH then I am forced to resubmit my ideas for possible names for the set.

There is truly great work being done here. Keep it up and we shall keep downloading.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Drawing ships is really getting a little boring :twisted: Ships are big, they are complex shapes, and the reverse angles have to be completely reshaded to look right.

Enough moaning though....I am continuing with the vehicle ferry. Might have all angles done today :)
Coxx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Coxx »

Nite Owl wrote:
andythenorth wrote: I have ideas and images for paddle steamers, stern wheelers, steamers, ferries, hydrofoils, catamarans, hovercraft, all in two, three or four different sizes! :shock:
andythenorth wrote:
Nite Owl wrote: Floating Inland Ships & Hovercraft
Funky Inland Ships & Hovercraft
Formidable Inland Ships & Hovercraft
No hovercraft...rinse, repeat :)
If hydrofoils and/or hovercraft have found there way into FISH then I am forced to resubmit my ideas for possible names for the set.

There is truly great work being done here. Keep it up and we shall keep downloading.
Thanks for the new release, :D
going to playtest as long as I can on my mac :cry:

Maybe three or four different sizes are not really needed for each type. Generally there should be smaller ships which are faster, and bigger ones which are slower. Quite often you´ll find such a combination in RL, good example might be the former ferry service between Copenhagen and Malmö (before the bridge was build). A wide range of ferrys were used here: some train/car-ferrys, various medium sized ferrys, a couple of hydrofoils, and for some time even (a?) hovercraft(s) to the Kastrup Airport. List and pics of what they used: http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Oresund.html

(At least in my games) I found there is a need for a rather small (>100) but a bit faster pax ship to serve small coastal towns, oil rigs or fishing grounds, something like the current 2CC small ferry. Maybe a bit faster. I´m not very fond of hovercrafts but for faster ships you have to turn to unusual ship designs. Catamarans or hydrofoils were more common I think, just imagine what a sprite artist and a coder with a lot of skill and spare time could make of it, first cruising just like a normal ship, than gently coming out of the water when gathering speed an finally almost flying over the waves with a fantastic wake behind, just like that pic, wouldn´t that be cool?
svalan_1965_02.jpg
svalan_1965_02.jpg (55.5 KiB) Viewed 2746 times

A minor idea for improvement: in my opinion the roof on the coasters look better in white or light grey, instead a stripe of company colour around the smoke stack would look (even) better. Can ships have smoke?
180px-SS_Stevens_bridge_view_02_stack.jpg
180px-SS_Stevens_bridge_view_02_stack.jpg (10.41 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
And finally: Could there be the fishingboat, at least as a stand-in? It´s going to be in the fishing habour, so why not here as a utility ship?

You say it´s not a work of love? Doesn´t look like it, really.
(Some candy, but you deserve it. :lol: )

for further inspiration have a look on this ship spotter page: http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Your work with the FISH set looks really promising. Would love to see the release version on Bananas. I do understand that it is only a limited selection of ships in it yet, but still.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Coxx wrote:And finally: Could there be the fishingboat, at least as a stand-in? It´s going to be in the fishing habour, so why not here as a utility ship?
This grf has DanMacK's fishing boat in as the Medium Utility Vessel, and a half-finished version of the ferry sprites. Give it a whirl...
Attachments
fish.grf
(237.61 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

Ooh, the ferry looks fantastic! :D
Good job Andy!
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Progress is slow, but progress is still progress. Here's some progress on ferries:
vehicle_ferry_large.png
vehicle_ferry_large.png (14.21 KiB) Viewed 491 times
vehicle_ferry_medium.png
vehicle_ferry_medium.png (13.21 KiB) Viewed 491 times
These are large and medium versions. The small version will be quite different (lake/river ro-ro style)
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Have you considered looking at the Condor Ferries that run between Weymouth, Poole, Portsmouth, the Channel Islands, St. Malo and Cherbourg?
They carry vehicles, though in game they're probably be passenger ferries, not actual vehicles as such.
I'd like to see them ingame, but if you think they're not for FISH, that's alright.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

The fast ferries are the ones I meant. I've been on one several times before, it'd be great to see them ingame.
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] FISH....FISH FISH FISH FISH (work in progress)

Post by petert »

Are you going to use the maximum amount of ships allowed?
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaDoncella »

petert wrote:Are you going to use the maximum amount of ships allowed?
65535? :lol:
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

petert wrote:Are you going to use the maximum amount of ships allowed?
No I am bloody not. Ten minutes-worth of scrolling the buy menu is no fun for players. Plus, we'd need gene-therapy for me to live long enough to draw that many.
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

For some reason, I had thought the number was lower. I saw it in a thread somewhere.

Edit: I found it here.
Mr. X wrote:There are also some ingame limits that you have to remind when adding or replacing vehicles:
Ships: 11
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

petert wrote:For some reason, I had thought the number was lower. I saw it in a thread somewhere
A useful reminder of why we check the wiki before coding :D

Meanwhile, I'm working on a log raft. This is one of the more fun things to do, as I already have logs! Yay. Just need to knock up a tug sprite - the fishboat is too big!
400t of swimming logs!
400t of swimming logs!
FISH_log_raft.png (90.85 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Read my "Edit:", you may not have seen it when you posted.
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

The original limit for ships was 11. However with the advent of the Engine Pool feature which is activated via the Enable Multiple NewGrf Engine Sets Advanced Setting (vehicle section) the possible total number of vehicles for any given type is raised well beyond what they originally were. Of course you would not want to reach that maximum number within any one vehicle type as there would then be no room for any other vehicle type. The only real problem with this new lack of limitations is that TTDP does not yet support this feature which leads to sets being created for use in one game and not the other unless the artists and authors are willing to create a downsized version for TTDP.

We now return you to your regular FISH.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

I'd like to point you to http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... &start=201 just in case it really was missed first time round. ;)
Last known as: Weirdy
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

Nite Owl wrote:However with the advent of the Engine Pool feature which is activated via the Enable Multiple NewGrf Engine Sets Advanced Setting (vehicle section) (...)
Sorry for off-topic, but the Engine Pool is always active and cannot be deactivated, thus more than 11 ships are always possible. The switch you mention is a different feature which controls whether multiple vehicles newgrfs override each other [0] or whether they are forced into independency unless they explicity specify to override one.

[0] with the noble but hardly used exception of GRM
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁

Return to “Graphics Development”