Exploitations

Problems with Transport Tycoon?
barbapapa
Engineer
Engineer

Exploitations

Post by barbapapa »

Since the game gets updated I see more more people using the new enhancements to the game which they start to abuse. this is starting to really frustrate me.

- Often I get bothered by people who put a competing transport route on a resource. I have been transfering the goods for years across the map. now someone else builds a small station with a short route to its destination. he puts 3 wagons on it and starts transfering goods. within minutes he gets around 80% of the resources. destroying my long train route which was very expensive to build and has in many cases follow up resources like iron ore steel goods, so those goods can't be transferred anymore. I get pissed off about that player and within 5 minutes he has those trains on all the resources I am transporting and wasting 95% of my income... can't even make a profit anymore. I think there needs to be a tweak in this so that this is not possible anymore for players who try to ruin other players fun.

2nd problem.

Station exploitation, got a screenshot, not bothering to post it right now. but the idea is simple. since the introduction that you can place 1 station over a distance so resources would be in range. the idea is great, but people start to exploit this kind of playstyle by building for example 2 station next to eachother. put a truck or 2 between them. and connect 1 station 5 squares other by pressing ctrl and plant a station there, they do this on and on. means it is easy to transfer goods over long distances. the point of transport tycoon is gone because there are no roads in between them. they just become small stations with 2 pieces of roads while having trucks riding over and over transferring cargo. effective, but it just looks horrible and isn't fair.

Placing a station far away to get resources is an exploit anyways and I think it isn't doing the game not much good. people try to get as much ground covered as possible to obtain 2 resources, or to place the station in a town so they can accept goods. excuse me for being blunt. but you can connect a train station and t ransfer the goods to a road vehicle so they can bring it to an station. I think this way the game gets exploited a lot less. and it gives the name transport tycoon a bit more of a meaning.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: Exploitations

Post by DaleStan »

barbapapa wrote:Often I get bothered by people who put a competing transport route on a resource.
There's something called a station rating. Keep it up and your opponent can't do that to you. Alternatively, just whack him/her upside the head; TTD only supports multiplayer with people you know. (Effectively, anyway. If you grab a random serial cable with a null-modem and start transmitting, the other side's unlikely to be ready to play TTD.)
barbapapa wrote:got a screenshot, not bothering to post it right now
Got a fix, not bothering to tell you about it right now.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Xander
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Xander »

inb4 "Opponents keep buying exclusive rights"
Real Tycoons do it on Trains!

JAMI: Just Another Moronic Intelligence
SmatZ
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by SmatZ »

barbapapa wrote:effective, but it just looks horrible and isn't fair
Play on servers where this is forbidden and ask the game admin to punish players breaking rules. There are more than enough servers to choose from.
AlexanderB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AlexanderB »

Xander wrote:inb4 "Opponents keep buying exclusive rights"
extremely annoying, this resulted in complete war, untill the admin came in and banned some people..

also, you just gave me a new idea, with the stretched stations ^^ (not that I'll use it, I like building complex and mass bulk transit trains)

Return to “Problems”