Require some help with OpenTTD(newby)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Shadowsun
Engineer
Engineer

Require some help with OpenTTD(newby)

Post by Shadowsun »

Hi guys,

been reading the forum for a couple of weeks now both for fun and trying out some OpenTTD graphics

my problem currently is not knowing how Graphics work, or even wich graphics to take

as i currently understand it there are 3 main Graphic projects

8bpp
32bpp
32bpp Full Zoom

initially i intended to just stick with the 32bpp graphics, however im having difficulty finding some good graphics for 32bpp (the wiki is a bit lacking.. and some people tell me they are still incomplete)
http://wiki.openttd.org/List_of_downloadable_32bpp_tars

to just see if i could get things working, i downloaded the Town Pack (on the above link), though i have no clue what to do with the contents,

any advice on
wich graphical project to stick to? 8bpp 32 bpp or 32bpp FZ any advantage of stikcing to the upgraded 8bpp

how to identify wich graphics work on 8bpp / 32bpp etc. and a good place / way to find graphics

how to install the graphics ive been trying to find good guide, but usualy come acros occasional tips on howto install them, wich dont get me very far given my lack on PC knowledge

Any help would be much apreciated,
Tim
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Require some help with OpenTTD(newby)

Post by planetmaker »

Shadowsun wrote: 8bpp
32bpp
32bpp Full Zoom
32bpp FZ will need a patched OpenTTD and is not official

8bpp is what goes smoothly and which has most options, including to change how parts of the game work (e.g. vehicles, industries, houses). 32bpp is so far only a replacement of existing graphics and there's no complete replacement for all original graphics

And "doesn't tell all" when it comes to lack of documentation and "looked everywhere" is no acurate description of what you're missing and where you looked nor can it in any way help to improve your perceived lack of documentation.

The easiest way to obtain new graphics is to use the ingame content download. But everything there is only 8bpp so far.
Shadowsun
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Shadowsun »

did not mean to be offensive,
but i am having trouble getting the TTD graphics to work, wich is why i posted this in the first place \

(looked everywhere is not something i said or meant saying in my prev post, just the the wiki / forums so far havent been much help to me due to lacking PC knowledge on my end, and that the most graphics shown on the wiki all have discriptions such as "incomplete" and "WiP", but again that might just be me searching in the wrong place.)

i think OTTD is a great game and project and i spend A LOT of time reading the wiki and the forums on how it works, and beucase i couldnt figure it out i decided on posting a question, that is all..

8bpp sounds promising... only now i notice i havent actualy considered searching for any 8bpp graphics, (guess i got all carried away with the higher 32bpp....)
i did not know there was an in-game content downloader.... maybe i should start exploring the new features in OTTD over TTD and THEN consider implementing graphics....

thanks for helping me out,

Shadowsun

p.s
i just found the 2CC trainset, and somewhere in the futyre im going to add it to the OTTD game, thoguh the site itself states thats the trains have a high running costs
wonder if thre's any way to turn that off and just play using the "real" OTTD values?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

First of all: you weren't offensive nor was my answer intended to be like that (is it?) - only short and to the point :-)
Shadowsun wrote: 8bpp sounds promising... only now i notice i havent actualy considered searching for any 8bpp graphics, (guess i got all carried away with the higher 32bpp....)
i did not know there was an in-game content downloader.... maybe i should start exploring the new features in OTTD over TTD and THEN consider implementing graphics....

i just found the 2CC trainset, and somewhere in the futyre im going to add it to the OTTD game, thoguh the site itself states thats the trains have a high running costs
wonder if thre's any way to turn that off and just play using the "real" OTTD values?
The 2ccTrainSet has newgrf parameters which can be set in order to change the running costs - as outlined in the readme :-). But if you downloaded it from bananas the readme will be nicely hidden within the tar archive which you downloaded. http://users.tt-forums.net/2cc/readme.html

32bpp graphics only replace existing graphics and must be enabled either via command line option or via config setting in openttd.cfg http://wiki.openttd.org/Playing_with_32bpp_graphics Of course you have to have those graphics then also available in your OpenTTD data folder. The place of the config file and the data folder depend upon the OS you use and is outlined in OpenTTD's readme, chapter 4.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

If You want play with 32 bpp extra zoom levels, You need a different OpenTTD installation:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=819809#p819809

You can download TAR files and find more information here:
http://wiki.openttd.org/32bpp_Extra_Zoom_Levels
But is better if You download the 32 bpp pack, because It's easier.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Shadowsun
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Shadowsun »

thx for all the help,

currently trying to find the openttd.cfg for the 32bpp
wiki says it should be located under "My Documents\OpenTTD" however, it isnt
just 3 maps "content_download" "save" and "scenario" it's also not inside one of these folders & subfolders...

using XP Home Edition...
any idea where it might be located @ ??

the 2cc trainset is working (deleted te .tar and used the in-game content downloader...)

just to be sure.. 8bpp and 32 bpp cannot be mixed... right??:) (sounds like a dumb Question....)
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

You can mix, just any 32bpp graphics will override their 8bpp counterparts. Any graphics that don't have a 32bpp graphic will be seen in 8bpp.
Shadowsun
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Shadowsun »

Awesome!! :D

think i can works this out :P

now all i need is the openttd.cfg to activate the 32bpp's ...
Pattle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pattle »

And "doesn't tell all" when it comes to lack of documentation and "looked everywhere" is no acurate description of what you're missing and where you looked nor can it in any way help to improve your perceived lack of documentation.
Why did that person say the above? It's just strange and a bit picky.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Shadowsun wrote:now all i need is the openttd.cfg to activate the 32bpp's ...
See readme.txt for information on where to find it.
Pattle wrote:
Because to improve a wiki page we have to know what information was missing. Also we need to know where he did look first, so we can either improve that page or make sure a more appropriate page is found first.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Asking questions.

Post by planetmaker »

Pattle wrote:
"That person" is me. I answer questions as I see fit, to the best of my knowledge and I have a moderately good knowledge as of where it ends. In return (or rather in preparation) I excpect questions asked clear and the problem outlined in detail, also with things tried in detail. My crystal ball is unfortunately broken and I can only guess what a person might have tried and what not, what was read and what not. My time is limited and I prefer to answer questions to the point. A good guideline for me is (and I know many other people here, too): don't invest more time into answering a question than was spent asking it. Giving a recap of what you tried and read concerning a problem helps problem solving enormously. Also "Everything" obviously cannot have been tried in 99.9995% of the cases, as those problems are solvable.

In order to understand the frame of mind, please have a look at my signature, read and understand "how to ask questions".
Pattle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pattle »

Sorry planetmaker. Without people like you I wouldn't have any answers to any of the problems I've had with Open TTD :D

p.s (reading that back it sound a bit sarcastic but honesly I am apologising).
Shadowsun
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Shadowsun »

found the .cfg file... it was in my documents after all (where i looked before and it wasnt..... maybe becuase OTTD was running at that time??)

thx for the help

@ Planetmaker

i read through that "how to ask questions" guide a bit, i'm not sure if you are only referring to the "how to ask questions" chapter,
but everything outside of that chapter pretty much stands agasint everything i've been raised with.
it's seems like the writer of the guide stands for being totally right all the time, and pointing peopel that dont fit in his description of "smart" with small insults (or how he calls it... directions) to get them on the "smart" path

that is definatly not something i would want to encounter when asking questions, so im glad you didn't treat me as such just becuase some guy's guide says i ask questions the "stupid" way...... (wich i do find quite insulting.. :roll: )
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Shadowsun wrote:i read through that "how to ask questions" guide a bit, i'm not sure if you are only referring to the "how to ask questions" chapter, but everything outside of that chapter pretty much stands agasint everything i've been raised with.
Here's the deal:

Do you want us to answer your questions? (Remember: We're all volunteers. We aren't paid for this. We don't even have to admit you exist.)
If so, it behooves you greatly to ask the sorts of questions that we want to answer.
If not, then please go away and stop bothering us.

Shadowsun wrote:it's seems like the writer of the guide stands for being totally right all the time,
Well spotted. If you say (or imply) something that is not right, then, at best, that "information" is useless. You could have saved us all time by not saying it.
At worst, it will send us (and therefore you) in completely the wrong directions, wasting even more time.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Shadowsun
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Shadowsun »

it wasn't meant as a question, just a statement on a prev. comment and a "thank you" for not treating me the way described in that guide

so sorry if i've wasted your precious minute typing a "thank you for not treating me like a piece of junk" but the choice to even read/ reply to it (and apparently waste your precious time) was absolutly your own choice,

Return to “Graphics Development”