Great idea 98%  98%  [ 48 ]
Bad idea 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes: 49
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:55 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Online now at: datcrawler.panzerairlines.nl

Well title says it all mostly but this is my idea;

I make a nice website thingy, with a database behind it. (Will make one anyways also a good way for me to learn more about php)

It will have the following information (could change)

Code:
|| Filename || Description || Download location || Type ||

Filename: well, this oen is easy, it is the filename of the thing.
Description; sounds obvious
Download location: Link to topic/website/whatever. Where you can find it.
Type: Soundfile/Vehicle/track/bridge whatever.

I need to work the stuff out a bit more. But it would have basic information, and will be more a bit like a place to look for .dat files, wich are missing. (See for example my sticky in the FAQ section.)

My knowledge of php isnt that good, but i think i can pull this one out, offcourse i wont give any date or something about when its completed. One problem is though, the files need to be put in 1 by 1, so it could take some time to have a big database.

A beta would also be released

Things i need to think about:
Adding could be done by everyone (?)
Special made user accounts can change and remove.
Multiple filenames with same name.

Now offcourse is the question; does it sounds usefull, or is it another crappy idea i come up with?

- Your always friendly Illegal_Alien

Here is rough idea:

Attachments:
File comment: Rough website look thingy.
datcrawler.png [17.27 KiB]
Downloaded 344 times

:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of:
LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...

Last edited by Illegal_Alien on Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:49 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

that would be exelent, but also you should put in the ingame name too

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:09 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

So it would be something like this:

Code:
|| Filename || Ingame name || Description || Download location || Type ||

On the other hand i could remove download location, because this is just easier to find what it is, and then you can ask it here on the forum.

:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:20 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

i think dl location is worthy to be on here, help with things way off site

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:45 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I did do a rethink, i think the following would be appropriate:

Code:
|| ID || .dat filename || Name || Description ||  Type || Author || Download location || Original file || 

Now the question is; what to do with multiple download locations? Allow multiple copy of the same object?

Attachments:
File comment: Updated version thingy
crawlerupdate.jpg [59.7 KiB]
Downloaded 64 times

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:49 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

hey IA, there is a beta dat crawler out that supports tons of sets now.

Maybe next week when I get time, I can get you a copy and see if maybe you could see a way to combine them.

It downloads thousands of dats and tools by most authors and then gives you options to install the sets or turn your loco back to virgin.

US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:56 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Illegal_Alien wrote:
Now the question is; what to do with multiple download locations? Allow multiple copy of the same object?

You don't have to squeeze everything up in one page. A separate page for each item would be better, which could contain multiple download links.

From the main page, you could have a small icon linking to the first download-location, and some field linking to the item page.

If you have the time, you could let the user choose which columns to display on the main page.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:07 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I want to keep it simple. No 80 clicks to see something, just typ it in, hit the button and you have the results.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:52 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

A better name would be in question if you ask me. Something like: Lomo Crawler or Locomotion Addon Crawler

Props to the devs of OpenTTD, you guys make magic!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:57 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

.dat Crawler is fine, it says exactly what is does...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:02 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

I suppose :/ I'm into fancy names. I always thought that .grf Crawler should have a different name.

Props to the devs of OpenTTD, you guys make magic!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:29 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Hmm, wel, will start of with a simple version, needs to be filed by the community, but a well, better something then nothing...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:45 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Currently having a working "add object form".

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7896/blag.png *extreme size warning*

Attachments:
bla2.png
bla2.png [ 105.22 KiB | Viewed 5808 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:47 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Hmm, seems to be not realy intresting this thing, as i see a crowd of people reacting.

Attachments:
datworking.png [167.08 KiB]
Downloaded 3 times

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:17 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

release the add dat function and I will get to work on the German station packs, it is still a good idea

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:55 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

For the people who want to add the stuff, some parts are already working: http://datcrawler.panzerairlines.nl/objects_add.php *Need some finetune some stuff but that will be done soon(tm).

Tested on IE8 and Firefox 3.5

p.s.: Excuse me for some of the "funny"parts. Didnt want it to be a dull one.

edit ps you can see all the current available (a wopping 4) objects: http://datcrawler.panzerairlines.nl/allobjects.php

And a direct link: http://datcrawler.panzerairlines.nl/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:48 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Ok everything seems to be workign so hereby Version 1.0 is official :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:50 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Floating things :lol:
But why are "no obsoletion date semaphores" uploaded four times, why not just one...

Like this:
Code:
.dat filename: SIGSL, SIGS, SIGSD, SIGSDL

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury

Last edited by Drury on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:06 am 
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

I see, my world domination plan got copied :P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:57 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Drury wrote:
Floating things :lol:
But why are "no obsoletion date semaphores" uploaded four times, why not just one...

Like this:
Code:
.dat filename: SIGSL, SIGS, SIGSD, SIGSDL

Well, erm, i am a n00b in this kind of things, i am already happy enough that it works :P

eis_os wrote:
I see, my world domination plan got copied :P

Ah, well beter a bad copy then a real copy isnt it?