BuildOTTD

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Octopuss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: BuildOTTD

Post by Octopuss »

Well???
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Octopuss wrote:Well???
... nobody seems to have had the courage to fix it themselves, kaan obviously didn't have the time and incentive to fix it and you're still waiting on that somebody person that is going to fix it for you.

Looking at the code it doesn't appear to be that difficult to fix as the sources are (already) released. It just needs that somebody with a C# compiler, time and willingness to fix it and release a new version.

Before you start to ask me: I lack the C# compiler and willingness to fix it (or install a C# compiler).
Octopuss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Octopuss »

Heh I know less than zero about coding, so...
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

...it might be an idea to pick this occasion as a motivational startpoint to change that thing?
Octopuss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Octopuss »

I don't think so.
In fact I don't even have time to play games lately. I just wanted to know whether we can expect any updates to the project.

And by the way what's the point in digging in basics of coding when you aren't even remotely interested in such field at all? I mean, I deal in hardware and IT support and such, so this would be totally wasted time. Besides, there are some great coders in this community :)
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

because i do not know how to cut the lawn in my garden, and actually i am not even a gardener so i dont see the point in learning how to cut the lawn in my own garden! i will instead get other people to do it for free - besides - let me add, i am not really interested in the height of the grass or the state of the garden itself, as i currently dont even have the time to sit outside and enjoy the view!
so how about it? who's gonna come around and cut my lawn and tidy up my garden - again i would like to highlight the fact that even if you do take care of my garden, i will not be able to enjoy it nor be able to honor it in any other way - i simply do not have the time!
Octopuss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Octopuss »

Sorry that logic fails. You are comparing apples with carrot.
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

No he isn't. He's comparing coding with gardening.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I agree. Octopuss, you need to spend a little more time explaining why that analogy fails. Or, you could spend that same time learning to cut your own grass, instead of complaining that no one wants to cut it for free.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Octopuss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Octopuss »

I give up, this is pointless. No need to spam the thread with crap.
flowover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by flowover »

It's comparing two situations. The expectations of each situation from the expector and expectee are analogous enough ftw

-wonderful spam the glorious spaaam-

On topic, who needs an update. The meat of the software still works. Dont be a slave to the GUI and enter the commands yourself. MinGW is the way to go. If you're in the support field you should know all about the command line. That's assuming you're higher than tier 1 support, who only read through troubleshooting scripts without offering an original thought of their own.
If the case is what I just described then you're just a rookie hoping to get some batting time on the real field at this moment. Then flexing your trouble shooting muscles is exactly what building a patched copy of OTTD is all about. It's a good exercise for you're melon to work on. Until you're out their helping exclusive support clients get their mission critical applications on track with minimal loss for 100's of dollars per hour, then you have no excuse for handing this job off to someone else. If thats the habit you keep up, you'll never make it in that field.
Core Xii
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Core Xii »

dihedral wrote:because i do not know how to cut the lawn in my garden, and actually i am not even a gardener so i dont see the point in learning how to cut the lawn in my own garden! i will instead get other people to do it for free - besides - let me add, i am not really interested in the height of the grass or the state of the garden itself, as i currently dont even have the time to sit outside and enjoy the view!
so how about it? who's gonna come around and cut my lawn and tidy up my garden - again i would like to highlight the fact that even if you do take care of my garden, i will not be able to enjoy it nor be able to honor it in any other way - i simply do not have the time!
I'd like to point out the flaw in this analogy - BuildOTTD, unlike his garden (presuming he has one for the sake of the argument), is not his responsibility. A more accurate analogy would be someone else's garden. In particular, someone else's garden he has enjoyed viewing but has been abandoned by its original author. Now he's asking for any experienced gardener volunteers to fix it up a bit so everyone could enjoy it again.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

AKA "someone".

When is the last time that nebulous "someone" has done anything?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
leeus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by leeus »

Hi there everyone, I'm a long time lurker... but raised my ugly head just to make something useful :)

Sorry to bring this up again, but is for good reason, I promise :wink:

After some fiddling I managed to update the BuildOTTD code to use the new http://finger.openttd.org service, and get it working.

I had to make a few changes, so I opened a new ticket on the project's site and attached the patch file there, in case any is interested to track it.

I attached here a zip file containing the newly compiled bottd.exe, with those changes applied. You should install the BuildOTTD standard package (download from sourceforge) and the overwrite the bottd.exe with the one attached here.

Note: if you try to use it, I found that the current trunk is failing to compile on MinGW with BuildOTTD, with the default settings. It's failing on a missing constant due to not having WITH_FREETYPE defined... And that is not defined, since, I guess, it is not bundled in the package with everything else? On the other hand, on MSVS it compiles OK)

Here's the failure:

Code: Select all

[SRC] Compiling fontcache.cpp
C:/BuildOTTD/msys/home/ottdsrc/trunk/src/fontcache.cpp: In function `void InitializeUnicodeGlyphMap()':
C:/BuildOTTD/msys/home/ottdsrc/trunk/src/fontcache.cpp:858: error: `ASCII_LETTERSTART' undeclared (first use this function)
C:/BuildOTTD/msys/home/ottdsrc/trunk/src/fontcache.cpp:858: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.)
I attached a quick fix I made to fontconfig.cpp in order to be able to compile it with WITH_FREETYPE undefined.

Ok, that would be all, I guess! Back to anonymity :D

<edit>
bottd.zip was deleted: updated a new version on the post here
</edit>

Cheers,
leus.
Attachments
fix-compilation-trunk-r16611.patch
Mini-patch over trunk at r16611
(710 Bytes) Downloaded 124 times
Last edited by leeus on 21 Jun 2009 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

leeus wrote:I attached a quick fix I made to fontconfig.cpp in order to be able to compile it with WITH_FREETYPE undefined.
The best solution would be to download and compile freetype.

The next best option is to modify the command line for ./configure to disable freetype. --without-freetype is a good guess, as is --with-freetype=no. --help will tell you for sure.
leeus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by leeus »

DaleStan wrote:
leeus wrote:I attached a quick fix I made to fontconfig.cpp in order to be able to compile it with WITH_FREETYPE undefined.
The best solution would be to download and compile freetype.
The next best option is to modify the command line for ./configure to disable freetype. --without-freetype is a good guess, as is --with-freetype=no. --help will tell you for sure.
Thanks DaleStan, I checked that and yes, you're right, of course.

So I could add a new change to the program so it passes that option when it calls ./configure, if that should be the correct answer.

I guess I would prefer the second choice (I don't have any idea why freetype is used, I cannot be sure if it's important. I'm not too much familiarized with OpenTTD code yet! I'm just starting to look at it :)), so I can try to compile freetype on mingw and bundle it within the BuildOTTD package, as is everything else that is needed.

But the truth is, the change which generated this problem is fairly recent, just some revisions ago (r16605), and I don't know if the code will remain that way...

Maybe I just need to wait a bit and see if it gets fixed... or maybe I should post a ticket for this on flyspray? I'm a bit reluctant to generate unneeded traffic there for such small a problem... I don't know.

Just to add on the cause of the problem: It's my suspicion that the constant (ASCII_LETTERSTART) on which the compilation fails should be declared outside of the #ifdef WITH_FREETYPE which is placed near the top of the source file, or, if that not the correct choice, then I guess that the function which uses that same constant should be protected with the same #ifdef...

And it seems that the nightly builds didn't catch this problem, since it only appears if you don't have freetype installed... I guess the compile farm does have it for the Windows build.

Best of regards,
leeus

EDIT: spelling
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Thanks for finding and reporting the problem, and providing a patch. Applied in r16612:

Code: Select all

(10:35:18) CIA-1: OpenTTD: alberth * r16612 /trunk/src/fontcache.cpp: -Fix (r16605): ASCII_LETTERSTART should be defined unconditionally (leeus)
I didn't notice that '#ifdef WITH_FREETYPE' is much longer than a few lines.
I'll try not to do that again.

Sincerely,
Albert
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

By reading the diff I've got a few comments:
- you're using http://svn.openttd.org and svn://svn.openttd.org in different places. The latter is configurable, but the former seems to be hardcoded. Subversion of HTTP is slower than Subversion over it's own protocol.
- the files on finger.openttd.org are all tab separated. Spaces might, in the future, be used in paths and cause problems if you split on spaces.
- maybe you should add (some) support for 'upgrade' paths. The NoAI branch doesn't exist anymore, but before 0.7.0 was released versions.txt pointed to nightlies/trunk as being it's successor so updating the NoAI branch would switch to trunk.
leeus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by leeus »

Rubidium wrote:By reading the diff I've got a few comments:
- you're using http://svn.openttd.org and svn://svn.openttd.org in different places. The latter is configurable, but the former seems to be hardcoded. Subversion of HTTP is slower than Subversion over it's own protocol.
- the files on finger.openttd.org are all tab separated. Spaces might, in the future, be used in paths and cause problems if you split on spaces.
- maybe you should add (some) support for 'upgrade' paths. The NoAI branch doesn't exist anymore, but before 0.7.0 was released versions.txt pointed to nightlies/trunk as being it's successor so updating the NoAI branch would switch to trunk.
Gotcha! Good points!! For the first two, I'll change them and update the attachment...

For now, the hardcoded one in only used to get the svn info from the URL, the configured then is used to do the actual checkout...

With respect to the third, I agree. I would wait a bit to see what kaan wishes to do, I PMed him about the update and he already replied, so he's aware now. I'll take a look to it in the meantime.
Alberth wrote:Thanks for finding and reporting the problem, and providing a patch. <snip>
You're welcome, always glad to be of help! :)

<edit>
@Rubidium: I've just updated the patch file on the tracker to take care of your suggestions! The first two should be fixed now... (I'll attach the updated exe in a moment...)
</edit>

Cheers,
leeus
Attachments
bottd.zip
Updated exe file with the latest fixed
(42.39 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

dihedral wrote:because i do not know how to cut the lawn in my garden, and actually i am not even a gardener so i dont see the point in learning how to cut the lawn in my own garden! i will instead get other people to do it for free - besides - let me add, i am not really interested in the height of the grass or the state of the garden itself, as i currently dont even have the time to sit outside and enjoy the view!
How about if you update the Improved Timetable Management patch and get it into trunk, I'll come cut your lawn? Confucious say "Matching of skillset to task, very efficient, very wise."
Jon

Return to “OpenTTD Development”