Custom Music In OpenTTD

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Custom Music In OpenTTD

Post by NekoMaster »

Ok, i read about this somewhere taht theres a way to play your own music files in OpenTTD, but ive tried to play my own music but openttd doesnt even show it.

How do i play my own music in openTTD
BTW all my files are *.mp3
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Luukland
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Custom Music In OpenTTD

Post by Luukland »

Only .mid files can be played... After you get your set of mid files ready, change the last part (the .mid) to the openttd standard, and post them in one of the music directories (dunno which directory to be sure...)
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Try these links

link
link 2
link 3
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Luukland wrote:Only .mid files can be played... After you get your set of mid files ready, change the last part (the .mid) to the openttd standard, and post them in one of the music directories (dunno which directory to be sure...)
That doesnt work, I've tried midi/mid filesa nd it doesnt work, TTD TTDpatch and openTTD will just Skip the file
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Luukland wrote:the openttd standard
Which is, in case you're unclear on this, neither ".mid" nor ".midi".
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

DaleStan wrote:
Luukland wrote:the openttd standard
Which is, in case you're unclear on this, neither ".mid" nor ".midi".
I know, i should have said taht even putting my own mid's/midi's in and renaming them to *.gm doesnt work
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

HInt: the system currently does not browse for files, even if they are named *.gm.
What I mean is that it expects to find gm_tt00.gm up to gm_tt21.gm AND ONLY THOSE.
So if you want to have one of your songs (midi that is) available: suggestion: save one of the original in a backup, rename your beloved song to the SAME NAME and EXTENSION en enjoy it.
That's it, no other way.
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

belugas wrote:HInt: the system currently does not browse for files, even if they are named *.gm.
What I mean is that it expects to find gm_tt00.gm up to gm_tt21.gm AND ONLY THOSE.
So if you want to have one of your songs (midi that is) available: suggestion: save one of the original in a backup, rename your beloved song to the SAME NAME and EXTENSION en enjoy it.
That's it, no other way.
I've tried taht also, TTDx and OpenTTD just skip files that are renamed the same as its own gm files
I thought there was a openTTD out there that had support for custom music in MIDI,MP3,WAV and i think even OGG (vorbis)
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

i know i've renamed MIDIs into *.gms and OTTD has read them. Make sure they're normal midis, i guess
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Lilman424 wrote:i know i've renamed MIDIs into *.gms and OTTD has read them. Make sure they're normal midis, i guess
They are! And openTTD skips them
Qu@rks
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Qu@rks »

There are different types of Midis and I believe OpenTTD (as well as any other TTD) can only read a certain type. I encountered this problem when trying to convert a .mid file into a guitar pro (program for notes etc.) file and it failed for no obvious reason (no tracks were displayed after the conversion). It works with most .mid files but the one I used was from "Die Fugger 2" which is a really old game by sunflowers and apparently the mid format was unsupported by guitar pro...

So my hint is this: try another .mid file from a different source and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, you're screwed, I guess ;)
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

NekoMaster wrote:
Lilman424 wrote:i know i've renamed MIDIs into *.gms and OTTD has read them. Make sure they're normal midis, i guess
They are! And openTTD skips them
OpenTTD only reads the gm_ttXX.gm files, with XX from 00 to 21. Have you renamed your midis to one of these names?
Ben1338
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ben1338 »

Is it possible to make OTTD support MP3, .wma and .wav file types?

If it isn't then is there a program that can covert the file types?
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Ben1338 wrote:Is it possible to make OTTD support MP3, .wma and .wav file types?
Yes it's possible, but no it probably won't happen. Why not use your favorite music player in the background to play music?
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Qu@rks wrote:There are different types of Midis and I believe OpenTTD (as well as any other TTD) can only read a certain type. I encountered this problem when trying to convert a .mid file into a guitar pro (program for notes etc.) file and it failed for no obvious reason (no tracks were displayed after the conversion). It works with most .mid files but the one I used was from "Die Fugger 2" which is a really old game by sunflowers and apparently the mid format was unsupported by guitar pro...

So my hint is this: try another .mid file from a different source and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, you're screwed, I guess ;)
Qu@rks - Perhaps try with Anvil Studio, it's a great midi editing/recording program and it's free. You might be able to fix the .mid's with it...
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

SirkoZ wrote:
Qu@rks wrote:There are different types of Midis and I believe OpenTTD (as well as any other TTD) can only read a certain type. I encountered this problem when trying to convert a .mid file into a guitar pro (program for notes etc.) file and it failed for no obvious reason (no tracks were displayed after the conversion). It works with most .mid files but the one I used was from "Die Fugger 2" which is a really old game by sunflowers and apparently the mid format was unsupported by guitar pro...

Qu@rks - Perhaps try with Anvil Studio, it's a great midi editing/recording program and it's free. You might be able to fix the .mid's with it...
have it, tried it, it failed, openTTD only likes gm style midis
ever
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ever »

Would be a cool feature to have a midi importer or something in game.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

No, because midis in general are not cool.

What would be cool is if the ingame player could issue commands to popular media players, so that you can control an external player from within the game. Problem is the definition of "popular media players". On Windows WM_APPCOMMAND would probably suffice, but don't know for other OSes...
ever
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ever »

FooBar wrote:No, because midis in general are not cool.
Says you.

But yeah would be cool for the game to be able to support flac or ogg format too. I'd make my own real swing soundtrack
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

FooBar wrote:Problem is the definition of "popular media players".
I think that 'flash' is the most popular media player. All those people watching youtube and basically all other content that you can view within your webbrowser.

Anyhow, the problem is getting proper statistics AND whether your mean "popular popular" or "most used popular". The most popular vacuum cleaner would be one that doesn't need you working on it (e.g. a roomba), but the most used one is probably one where you need to manually push it around your house.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”