UKRS v3.04 and UKRS industries v2.01 (20th of Jan)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: UKRS v3.04 and UKRS industries v2.01 (20th of Jan)

Post by Comm Cody »

Hey Pikka..... I got a Idea. Using Engine pool, can you make a DTV Set? sorry just that extra noob thing. Why? Well it's a fat pain in the butt to attach the Class 91 to the back of a train just get that right feeling.
My humble suggustions. Yous could code it like the brake van, only when a train reaches 10 tiles, no swapping.
GWR Autocoach 1925-1960 Max speed 60 MPH 25 passenger or 20 bags of mail
MK 1/2 DBSO 1958-2050 Max speed 85 MPH 35 Passenger or 40 bags of mail<to recreate the RPO service
MK 3 DVT 1985-forever Max Speed 140 MPH 20 bags of mail.
Something goes here, hell if I know.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Or you can just put a mail carriage at the end of your class 91...
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Comm Cody »

This is with not a class 91, but everything else.
Dave

Post by Dave »

comm Cody wrote:This is with not a class 91, but everything else.
They're not for everything else.

They were used after 1988 with 86s and 87s on the West Coast, and then with 90s and 91s on the East Coast (and the GEML).

They've only recently been used on 67s for Wrexham and Shropshire (and also the EWS Company Train), and even these aren't really a "regular" service compared to constant usage on the 91s.

Since the 87 and 90 aren't in the set, and the 67 isn't used with a DVT very often, I don't think there'd be anything to gained by it anyway.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

And there were only 14(?) DBSOs and they've only ever worked with Class 47s, 86s and 90s in service. Not much need for them, really.
Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Comm Cody »

I said it was that extra noob thing, okay.
Hey I don't have to play RealismFTW like extact numbers, names,et. I can play with a Class 91 on a Class 37. So drop the real life thing. It's a game, not a real simlutor. Okay?!
Last edited by Comm Cody on 22 Apr 2009 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Am I mistaken or is someone getting annoyed here?
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

comm Cody wrote:I said it was that extra noob thing, okay.
Hey I don't have to play RealismFTW like extact numbers, names,et. I can play with a Class 91 on a Class 37. So drop the real life thing. It's a game, not a real simlutor. Okay?!
Slow down and untwist your knickers. They way I've always seen and understood UKRS to be is a representation of general British trains, not specific ones, hence the Type 2, 3, 4, 5 and banners rather than class 25, 37, 47, 66 as the graphics suggest because there were lots of different locos in these classes due to the way BR went about ordering trains. As a result of this the common trains are represented and a DVT, in reality is not that common.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Ameecher wrote:...a DVT, in reality is not that common.
That was when British Rail played. How about when Player 1 plays? Very different histories might have arisen.

It's a shortcoming of Transport Tycoon in general. You're at the mercy of the mysterious train manufacturers. "in reality" the availability of various motive and rolling stock was driven entirely by demand, not the other way around. British Rail demanded diesels; diesels were ordered and manufactured. British Rail demanded a new electric train for the east coast; the 91 (and the Mk 4 DVT) were developed.

Unfortunately, in the game, we're in no position to demand anything from the railway manufacturer. The closest we can come is making requests on the forum. In this particular case, Pikka has the ultimate right to refuse, but I don't think it's right to tell people it's unrealistic and therefore not as worthy of consideration.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Well yes, this is true, perhaps I should have added: "In my person opinion, I don't think there is a need for them" but there we go, we all live and learn.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Brianetta wrote:I don't think it's right to tell people it's unrealistic and therefore not as worthy of consideration.
I didn't say it wasn't worthy of consideration - just said why it wasn't in there as it was, and then said "I don't think..." which surely could/should/wasn't interpreted as "in my opinion".

I actually have a further request out of this - any chance of a separate DVT ID please? As I don't want it to transport mail...

Flickr

Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Comm Cody »

Or make a Class 67 Mail Train.
Dave

Post by Dave »

comm Cody wrote:Or make a Class 67 Mail Train.
Class 67 + Mail Vans... What I mean is - I don't mind transporting the mail - but I'd rather do it in bulk than in the DVT... It's fairly moot, but - e.g. - I don't want 91+mk4s to be picking up mail from stations where I don't transport mail from.

Hypothetical example - I've got 91s running between London and Edinburgh, calling intermediately at P'boro, Doncaster, York and Newcastle. I've got 67s on Mail Trains running from platforms at London, York and Edinburgh (now unrealistic, but just for reference...), I don't mind my 91s picking up mail from London, but I don't want them to deliver to PBO, Donny or Newcastle, and I certainly don't want to start a poor mail service from the other three stations because I'm taking 30 bags of mail from an 8k city every journey.

In reality, I'd want to run mail from specific depots, but this isn't necessarily possible.

Although if you were being realistic at the minute you'd convert the Cl 321s to Mail (to act as a 325), and operate them as 12 car sets behind an 87 (as an 86)!

I frigging love realism!!!!

Flickr

slgann
Engineer
Engineer

Post by slgann »

One of the parameters for UKRS is suppose to disable shunting behavior. What exactly is shunting behavior?

slgann
Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Comm Cody »

In response Dave, Use the trucks! It's real life and you love real life, right... :P Nowhow I do it is that I have a mail car as the buffet or diner car and have 1 or 2 mail cars up front so I carrie about 115 bags in one loco hauled train. so much fun on my Hartly Northren game. I can PM over and you see how I cope with the mail. Even with Pax and Mail reduction my mail trains make about 50,000 dollars a year.
Dave

Post by Dave »

One of the parameters for UKRS is suppose to disable shunting behavior. What exactly is shunting behavior?
With certain tank engines early on, it is possible through use of a brakevan to have the loco and the brakevan "swap" sprites temporarily, which means it appears that the tank engine is always at one end - as opposed to the train turning so the tank engine is always leading (in real practice, a tank engine can obviously operate in both directions either pushing or pulling rolling stock).

I always get this confused, so I don't know if the 91+DVT combination is part of the shunting practice, but if it is, the same applies with the Class 91+DVT - i.e. the Class 91 leads one way and trails the other, which is obviously how they operate in real practice.

Flickr

Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Dave Worley wrote:I always get this confused, so I don't know if the 91+DVT combination is part of the shunting practice
It is. I believe that it was the first example of Pikkabird using this technique.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

Aha, that's what the brake van is for!!! Thanks :p I just used to add it to the back of trains for realism, but the tanks were quickly replaced so I didn't notice it.

I'd love an alternate DVT too, it just niggles at me to have 1000s of mail items piling up at stations when I'm doing a pax game.
Jon
dasy2k1
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dasy2k1 »

somthing else i would love is an commuter carriage (possibly as a refet option but not sure if this can be done)

normal carriage, 40 pax, loads in 5s max speed none
commuter carriage, 60 pax, loads in 10s (bigger doors) max speed say 75mph

naturlly thease would only come in with the EMUs (am2 am10?) and would represent remodeling a carrage for urban use

possably more a game ballance thing than realistic but who can tell for sure

the other thing i would like to see is a 170 or similar to replace the 158s for class 2 services
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

dasy2k1 wrote:normal carriage, 40 pax, loads in 5s
commuter carriage, 60 pax, loads in 10s (bigger doors)
So the vehicle with smaller doors loads at a rate of 8 pax/sec, while the vehicle with larger doors loads at only 6 pax/sec?

Does anyone else think this might be backward?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

Return to “Graphics Development”