Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)

Post by Bilbo »

I decided to put up a multiplayer patch pack. I collected useful patches that maintain network and multiplayer compatibility and put them into single patchpack (so you can connect with 0.7.3 patched with this patchpack to unpatched 0.7.3 servers and enjoy all the extra features from the patches below).

Main target of the patchpack is current stable version (0.7.3), though the patch could probably apply to trunk with some modifications.

The patchpack contains:

My patches:
Build while paused in editor - You can build while paused while in scenario editor
Vehicle, town and ind. console - Powerful console commands to help managing your vehicles or performing mass actions on towns and industries
Console 'companies' also in SP - Console command 'companies' available also in singleplayer and in network also for clients
Console history: no duplicates - Do not store duplicates/empty commands in console history
Reconnect console command - Console command 'reconnect' to connect to last server
Better AI reloading - Reload AI without destroying company controlled by it, or replace one AI with another while company is running

Patches from others:
Copy & paste, reworked - Patch originally by Frostregen, currently maintained by whoever comes nearby to update it. Copy & paste pieces of track.
News message for excl. rights - Patch by Grantovich. When someone buys exclusive transport rights in a town, you get the message.
MP server list filtering - Patch by adf88. Adds filters to list of multiplayer servers.
Enhanced minimap - Patch by adf88, merging two patches: Toggle terrain in minimap by 3D_Grabber and Smallmap zoom by NukeBuster. Allows to see terrain in minimap with other modes and enables zooming the minimap.
Filter Sign List - Patch by Zuu. Filter sign list by typing a string
NewGRF GUI window - Patch originally by nycom, now maintained by planetmaker. Better GUI to manage NewGRFs
Improved build station GUI - Patch by scoz. Nice GUI to build stations
Colored town ratings - Patch by Terkhen. Show rating of town in sign color
Filter by cargo - Patch by gule. It is in trunk, but not yet in 0.7.2.
Query land shortcut - Unknown author. G key is shortcut to query land
Password on commandline - Patch by Progman. Allow giving password on commandline. It is in trunk, but not yet in 0.7.2.
Console watch command - Patch by Muxy, updated by petert. Allow watching other company's construction in Multiplayer with console command.
Automatic screenshots - Patch by Roujin. Make screenshots automatically/periodically.

Planned for v6:
Tracking viewport - Patch by jawsper. Allow tracking viewport, that tracks your cursor. Helps with building when zoomed out. (conflict with C&P over Ctrl+V keyboard shortcut)
Show this month cargo - Show also this months cargo, not only last, in the industry window.
Town rating - Display numerical town rating and prediction of rating at next update in town window

Note: patches added to this release are shown in bold

If someone have suggestion for patch to include in my patchpack, add your suggestion to this topic. Note that the patch must maintain both network and savegame compatibility

Note: the zipfile with the source contain the patchpack as one monolithic file (bilbo-mp-patchpack-v5-0.7.3.diff) that you can just apply, and also in the "build" directory there are individual patches that compose the patchpack, along with simple script that applies them in order to SVN checkout and creates the patch file - this allows easily adding, replacing or removing any individual patches in the pack. There is also a serverlistfilter.grf in the directory that you need to copy into the data directory.
Also, you need copypaste.grf for this pack to work - put it too into "data" directory. Get the file from here: http://www.tt-forums.net/download/file.php?id=50279
Attachments
bilbo-mp-patchpack-v4-0.7.2-build.zip
Patch pack v4 for 0.7.2, source
(203.35 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
bilbo-mp-patchpack-v5-0.7.3-build.zip
Patch pack v5 for 0.7.3, source
(242.13 KiB) Downloaded 655 times
Last edited by Bilbo on 06 Oct 2009 23:21, edited 14 times in total.
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v1 (for OpenTTD 0.7.0)

Post by Terkhen »

This is a great idea :D

I'd like to suggest these three patches. To my knowledge they don't alter network or savegame compatibility and they are very useful:

- Filter sign list

- Toggle terrain in minimap

- NewGRF GUI Window

About the town ratings patch: I just checked and needed modifications are minimal indeed. When I finish v0.6, I'll make a 0.7.0 version of the patch for your patch pack.
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Tried briefly and seems all three of the suggested patches will need some minor modification (signs GUI patch have 2 failed hunks out of 8, minimap cotours only one and newGRF gui 3 out of 21)

I'll look at them once I finish creating windows binaries...

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Windows binaries are now added to the first post.

As for the other suggested patches:
I have updated minimap toggle contours to current trunk and I'll add it to v2 of patchpack.
Latest version of filter signlist applies to trunk cleanly, however it does not apply to 0.7.0. I guess I'll have to backport it ....
The same goes for newGRF GUI - however older version for r15776 applies cleanly and there seems to be no bugfixes since then, only updating, so I'll just use that old version.

Edit: I have already backported all these three to 0.7.0 (or found older versions that apply cleanly), I have also added Improved build station GUI to the testing set.
Once Town sign color ratings v0.6 will be released, I'll add it and then I'll release v2 of my patchpack.

Sacro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sacro »

Bilbo wrote:Windows binaries are now added to the first post.
You do seem to have removed the LICENCE though... do you have permission to do that?
We Am De Best

Host of ThroughTheTube site
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Sacro wrote:You do seem to have removed the LICENCE
I have not removed it. I have just forgot to add it. I have now updated the binaries so they contain the LICENSE file. Also, the AI regression test that I accidentally packed along with the binaries are now not included.

Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Bilbo wrote:Latest version of filter signlist applies to trunk cleanly, however it does not apply to 0.7.0. I guess I'll have to backport it ....
Since not much have changed for filter sign list patch recently and nobody before have told me that it don't work on 0.7.0 I downloaded the 0.7.0 source from openttd.org and tried to apply the last patch file published here on forums (version 21). To my surprise patch applied the patch without any rejections. Some hunks applied with an offset of up to 7 lines:

Code: Select all

[jacobi:leif:0] patch -p0 < filter_sign_list21_15589.patch
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file src/lang/english.txt
Hunk #1 succeeded at 3477 (offset 7 lines).
patching file src/signs_gui.cpp
patching file src/toolbar_gui.cpp
Hunk #1 succeeded at 1090 (offset -3 lines).
I have to admit though that the first post in the thread contain a misleading link to version 7 of the patch as 'last version'. Might be that version you used?

Please tell me if you have any more issues with the patch.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Zuu wrote:Please tell me if you have any more issues with the patch.
I have used newer filter_sign_list22_r15891.patch from this post: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=776696#p776696 That one didn't work with 0.7.0 since the GUI code is changing now rapidly in trunk...

Older version you are referring (filter_sign_list21_15589.patch) applies well. I have compared v22 and v21 and seems that there are no bugfixes, just v22 is modified to apply to current trunk, so I'll use the 21 version instead.

Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Sorry, seams I was reading to quick when looking for the last version of my own patch. :oops:

Reading the description of the update of version 22 it seams like it contains some bug fixes regarding repainting when selecting using the arrow-keys. I can take a second look on it, with version 22 instead. Though I don't have time for that right now, but later today or tomorrow or so.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v2 (for OpenTTD 0.7.0)

Post by Bilbo »

I have added many new patches (Toggle terrain in minimap, Filter Sign List, NewGRF GUI window, Improved build station GUI, Colored town ratings, Filter by cargo, Query land shortcut and Password on commandline ) to the patchpack, fixed few bugs in some of the patches and now I am presenting Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v2.

Get it in the first post - either as patch or as windows bineries - your choice.

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Nice work :)
The latest update (made by me) of a number of patches (also joined as a combined patch) can also be found at the svn repository at http://svn.openttdcoop.org/tools/autostart/patches/ (currently latest: http://trac.openttdcoop.org/changeset/693 ) Maybe you want to include the automatic screenshots, too?
The pw_arguments.diff (command line passwords) is written originally by Progman.
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

planetmaker wrote:Nice work :)
The latest update (made by me) of a number of patches (also joined as a combined patch) can also be found at the svn repository at http://svn.openttdcoop.org/tools/autostart/patches/ (currently latest: http://trac.openttdcoop.org/changeset/693 ) Maybe you want to include the automatic screenshots, too?
The pw_arguments.diff (command line passwords) is written originally by Progman.
I considered the automatic screenshots and also show_this_months_cargo.diff, but I did not managed to apply show_this_months_cargo.diff (too many rejects, but I'll try to dig out some older revision from the openttdcoop SVN repository - do you know which SVN revision in openttd svn does approximately correspond to 0.7.0? Seems like patches around 15400-15500 apply usually to 0.7.0 well) and I thought I won't have enough time to test the screenshots properly, so I decided to leave these two for v3 and rather release the v2 with the other additions :)

I also tested various_sizes.diff, but I decided not to add it - it brings some increased performance, but at cost of more memory eaten (over 64Mb extra from brief look into patch). While I have personally enough RAM, I am not sure of other potential users of my patchpack.
Have you, or someone else measured (or at least estimated) the performance difference with/without the various_sizes.diff?

town_rating.diff seems to be also quite handy (displaying town rating and prediction of rating difference at next update), though the way it is made (saving some stuff, calling UpdateTownGrowRate, examining result, restoring some stuff) is a bit hackish and any change to UpdateTownGrowRate may result in desyncs. I'll have to test this one carefully before adding it to the pack.

Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Hello, now I've backported version 22 of my patch to 0.7.0. The backport is available in the filter sign list thread. One of the two things that I had to resolve manually was that the enum containing widget ids was introduced by Belugas after 0.7.0 was branched off. The other thing was that DrawString in trunk takes 5 arguments, while in 0.7.0 it takes 4 arguments.

I'll guess you would have found out my post in the filter sign list thread, but figured it would be kind to tell you here in your thread as well as giving the reasons for the conflict with 0.7.0.
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Thanks. The v3 will have (along with some other changes/additions) the updated version of filter sign list in it.

Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

planetmaker wrote:Nice work :)
You still got an old version of the automatic screenshots patch in there... please take the new version from the thread here if you want to include it, Bilbo.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Bilbo wrote: do you know which SVN revision in openttd svn does approximately correspond to 0.7.0?
My clean copy says r15913.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Bilbo wrote:do you know which SVN revision in openttd svn does approximately correspond to 0.7.0?
No SVN trunk revision does approximately correspond with 0.7.0. Trunk and the 0.7 branch have diverged since 0.7.0-RC1.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Roujin wrote:You still got an old version of the automatic screenshots patch in there...
Damn... I could swear I updated it somewhen. I even have that file on my HD...
omgits3am
Engineer
Engineer

Post by omgits3am »

Bilbo, i just added your extra large map patch to my game and actually got it working.. to my astonishment :) It works with both new game and scenario creation, but in new random game mode, all the cities have no roads or buildings, perhaps its because i added your patch files to a newer game client, i believe i added r.13664 files (your patch) to the most recent stable 0.7.0 release. Some stats if your interested are: in a game with low cities and industries it took roughly 5 minutes to generate a random game (8000x8000), however in scenario generation mode things generated much more quickly. Also the aformentioned random game was taking up around 600MB+ of ram and using A LOT of my dual core cpu usage %

Anyway...... will you be making this patch available for the latest client, and does your .exe purposely use additional cpu while in game? (sorry if my info/statistics are vague or incorrect)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

this is not the bigger maps thread, please disscuss a patch in the appropriate thread.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”