Improved original vehicle names NewGRF

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Improved original vehicle names NewGRF

Post by SirkoZ »

I didn't like some aspects of origveh.grf - not all vehicles were renamed - so I improved it. Source (nfo) is here, GPLv2 license is included in .tar on BaNaNaS.

It renames vehicles of the same speed to TTOriginal-equivalents, others (from TTD) are renamed to more suitable names.

It is basically what was my origveh-patch of the past (found in many Integrated builds, e.g. ChrisIN and earlier).

Here are the files (.grf and source - .nfo):
Attachments
bvehname.grf
.grf
(5.26 KiB) Downloaded 2126 times
bvehname.nfo
.nfo
(20.29 KiB) Downloaded 1527 times
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: Improved original vehicle names NewGRF

Post by PikkaBird »

Nice, although if you wanted to be *cough*realistic*cough*, I don't think AEC ever made ships, and you shouldn't have futuristic vehicles made by BAC, BAe or Aérospatiale, since those companies are long defunct. ;)
as
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by as »

Turner Turbo -> UAC Turbotrain
Centennial -> EMD DDA40X "Centennial"

It is intresting that at moment grf has been download only twice, nfo six times already :p
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

PikkaBird wrote:Nice, although if you wanted to be *cough*realistic*cough*, I don't think AEC ever made ships, and you shouldn't have futuristic vehicles made by BAC, BAe or Aérospatiale, since those companies are long defunct. ;)
:lol:
Well - selection of names for this grf was done long time ago, back when it was still vehicle.dat ;-)
so it might be historically inacurate, but I (com-)piled all the companies that I knew either from TT Original or otherwise together to make the game have more TTO-feeling to it.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

as wrote:Turner Turbo -> UAC Turbotrain
Centennial -> EMD DDA40X "Centennial"

It is intresting that at moment grf has been download only twice, nfo six times already :p
as - you're right about those two names, but they are accurate enough as it is.
The reason for leaving said names is - their HP, speed are correct and names more pleasant in the current form.

If it had to really be EMD DD... then would also TGV have to have 13200 HP, Eurostar 16000, BR'IC125' 9000 and so. Perhaps this comes in v2. ;-)
jklamo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jklamo »

CS 4000 is possibly KM ML-4000
CS 2400 maybe possibly NS 2400
Willis 2-8-0 is possibly 2-8-0 class USATC S160 Class
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

jklamo wrote:CS 2400 maybe possibly NS 2400
The CS 2400 was a Tropic or Arctic vehicle in TTD, wasn't it? I can't imagine they included a Dutch engine there, since The Netherlands got a Temperate climate.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

Purno wrote:
jklamo wrote:CS 2400 maybe possibly NS 2400
The CS 2400 was a Tropic or Arctic vehicle in TTD, wasn't it? I can't imagine they included a Dutch engine there, since The Netherlands got a Temperate climate.
yes CS2400 is Tropic, but if you read the wiki: (sorry for dutch)
wiki wrote: De serie 2400 was niet speciaal voor de NS ontworpen. Locomotieven van dit model werden door Alsthom in het Franse Belfort in de jaren vijftig al geleverd aan spoorwegen in de toenmalige Franse koloniën en naar een aantal andere landen. De 2400-en werden gebouwd in 1954-1957. In dezelfde periode werd ook de serie 2200 afgeleverd.
it claims that the NS2400 was used by alsthom in french Belfort and was delivered to the French Colonies in the 50's

the french colonies included A LOT of tropical area's therefor its in the tropic climate, no idea for the Artic, maybe the same story, its not 100% designed for the NS
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

If you compare what the CS2400 looks like in game with the NS2400, it's definitely not the same engine. The CS2400 is probably some American built engine, like most of the tropic engines.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

jklamo wrote:CS 4000 is possibly KM ML-4000
CS 2400 maybe possibly NS 2400
Willis 2-8-0 is possibly 2-8-0 class USATC S160 Class
I have looked at those - very interesting, particularty the KM_ML-4000 that was inspiration for CS4000 with its two V16 engines. But let's leave the name at CS4000, for the original locomotive had quite some problems due to e.g. over-driving it to get those 4000HP and the downright stupid air intake position... all of which aren't of any concern with the CS4000. Besides - you can read it as Chris Sawyer 4000 which is nice for there wouldn't be all this without his great TTD. ;-)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

SirkoZ wrote:Besides - you can read it as Chris Sawyer 4000 which is nice for there wouldn't be all this without his great TTD. ;-)
congratulations, you just found out about the meaning of the vehicle names...

they all are names of people who participated in the development of TT.
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

Ploodyphut? Poor guy.
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Eddi wrote:
SirkoZ wrote:Besides - you can read it as Chris Sawyer 4000 which is nice for there wouldn't be all this without his great TTD. ;-)
congratulations, you just found out about the meaning of the vehicle names...

they all are names of people who participated in the development of TT.
How very perceptive of you, Eddi. I didn't know though that Darwin or Mr Chaney had anything to with TTD.
frosch wrote:Ploodyphut? Poor guy.

:lol:
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

TTDPatch 2.5 b9 reports an invalid sprite #5 in this GRF, making it impossible to use. Is there any workaround for this, or another GRF for getting the original names?
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

Andrex wrote:TTDPatch 2.5 b9 reports an invalid sprite #5 in this GRF, making it impossible to use. Is there any workaround for this, or another GRF for getting the original names?
Looking at the actual verbose error (specifies code 6/6), it's pointing toward the Prop 11 in the Action 0 in question:

Code: Select all

5 * 14	 00 08 01 01 00 11 "SZVD" "DD" F0 00
Prop 11 is not supported by TTDP as far as I'm aware, so this GRF will not be compatible with TTDP.
Formerly known as Lachie
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Lachie wrote:Prop 11 is not supported by TTDP as far as I'm aware, so this GRF will not be compatible with TTDP.
Yup, quite right according to newgrf wiki: http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/Ac ... l_Settings
In TTDPatch you simply re-define the properties of the vehicleIDs as there the vehicleIDs are global and not newgrf-local.
Kresselack
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kresselack »

Hi there,
i'm new here so i cannot speak with you via private message.
This is my question :
How can i make a NewGRF like yours here , the dev site makes me a 502 gateway error and i'm not able to get a NewGRF Editor or something like this
My project is to make a 'real vehicles names' like yours but translated in French for me and my pals.
off course if you can help me to create it , i'll gladly credit you in the readme of the Newgrf ^^
regards, Kress.
Si c'est le mal que vous cherchez , n'allez pas plus loin. Je suis là !

Return to “Graphics Development”