Train Yards

Are you a beginner with Locomotion? Learn the basics here.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

i8thefat1
Engineer
Engineer

Train Yards

Post by i8thefat1 »

I looked and I did not see any other person post anything on this subject. if someone has in another part of the website forgive me.
I want to make the game more realistic and I saw on youtube that some people had figured out how to have large train yards and the trains did not become confused by all the signals, and tracks. I would like to be able to do this with my Union Pacific lines i have in my games. it would be great if someone could redirect me to something that could help me make a good sized train yard. actually more of a place where i could have trains come in carrying lumber, iron ore, or coal and dropp of their load and have another train come and pick it up and whisk it off to the steel mill or paper mill. then have a place where my pasanger lines could come throgh and deliver thier passangers to a town on the same line as the yard(without having to stop for any of the freight trains.(since i cant figure out how to get a hyperlink in here im just going to give you the adress of the yard.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPdolQ_eNVw Please someone have a usefull answer, and dont just yell at me.(thats what happend last time I posted)
You got a problem?
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Train Yards

Post by Illegal_Alien »

There are plenty of topics about this. But i am too lazy to post them here.
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
i8thefat1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by i8thefat1 »

WOW again my bad, now I have to go to school
You got a problem?
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

I think he has used the invisible station mod, and perhaps some careful waypointing to make sure the trains go into the desired roads, and turn round again.
i8thefat1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by i8thefat1 »

well what i really want to know is how to be able to do what that guy laid the track out, im going to go look for the thread the elmo kid mentioned
You got a problem?
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

i8thefat1 wrote:...... im going to go look for the thread the elmo kid mentioned
Took me a while to work out you meant IA! He's 25 y'know.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
mmarvelstrain
Director
Director

Post by mmarvelstrain »

plaskiman has some buildings in the Union pacific mega pack and there is a water tower and more stations and signal boxes in the german station pack at locofanpage but i don't know where some of that came from.
Locomotion is kool with a capital k TM
Look what I Made (Name That Plane)
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=41042
i8thefat1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by i8thefat1 »

lol oops, I call everyone kid if i cant remember their name
You got a problem?
theatre_sniper
Engineer
Engineer

Post by theatre_sniper »

everyone does yards a little different. just start a game and try to build an yard on your own through trail and error. much easier then begging people to teach you. her are a few screens to show the working yard i am currently building. the yard unload and loads trains.

Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

heh... stollen right out off my handbook there Mr sniper.. you learn quickly :P

that video is nuts! i want to see the rest of that layout... lol...

one bit of advice i can offer... I think it was afteer the 6th track in a yard, pathing goes out the window.. so for a 16 track yard, keep that in mind.

things you cant see in that video and sniper has picked up on; you can use 1 way dwarf signals and or "parked" trains/freight cars to block routes to help with pathing and add eye candy, invible stations. both for drop off/pick up points or for route though points.

it is a lot of trail and error and can get to be pretty complicated to run really long trains of mixedcargo on one train.

also.. you really need a map set up just for that sort of activity... large industrial areas with a long run beween them for the mainlines... as you see in that vid. the mainline and many shunting trains/locals are all picking up several types of goods.. it is fun to see a 30 car train with goods, lumber, grain, oil in one direction and see food, plastic, and chemicals coming back the other way.

start out small and build from there. it adds a seriously challanging level to the game. also, dont be scared to save the game.. run it for a while and watch what happens. then reload it and fix any problems.

when you start putting everything into a few long distance trains, one lost or stuck train can cause epic fail really fast... i went from millions to bankrupt in a mattter of one train causeing a jam up.
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!
i8thefat1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by i8thefat1 »

Ok thanks im going to try and start making my train yard. oh! um sniper my friend who is wt me right now wants to know where you got the gas turbines so yea. im going to go look for the water towers and other props now because i get bored looking at tracks and stuck trains so.
You got a problem?
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

he got them from a magic elf, wearing a blue hat :wink:
May the force be with you.
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

kalvingp30fan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by kalvingp30fan »

The gas turbines were part of a UP-power pack that is never going to be released.
i8thefat1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by i8thefat1 »

WOW why not, they looked really cool, oh by the way we made a yard and it works but im going to have to work on the side i did its kind of small, but ive been playing a diff game so yea
You got a problem?
i8thefat1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by i8thefat1 »

also i selected all 3 depots but i cant build them when im playing
You got a problem?
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

you must custom edit your trackst.dat
also, please use the edit button instead of double posting
May the force be with you.
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

i8thefat1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by i8thefat1 »

how do you edit the tracks dat?
You got a problem?
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

There is a sticky about that use the best tool ever...
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
i8thefat1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by i8thefat1 »

well i got it to work=) but the auto mod failed=( i couldent get the auto parts factory to prodce enough parts and get it to the auto factory and then even when the steel got there no cars appeared i failed badley=/
i also cant find the sticky where to edit the tracks i want to be able to include the depots i have but i cant see how to do it, makes me kind of angrythe search doesent find what i want, just words i searched
You got a problem?
Redimus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Redimus »

I have found this game to cause searious hair tearing problems with often the simplest of junctions, I couldnt imagien even *thinking* about atempting huge yards like that. As fun as it'd be to watch the trains go by in a huge yard like that, I cant really see anybenifit. Is a decent income even possible with the game's mechanics they way they are using yuards like that?
Warning: Subject has been known to show the kind of mental agility that would make Locomotion's AI blush.

Return to “Locomotion Beginners”