An undo button?

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ThunderAI
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

An undo button?

Post by ThunderAI »

What would be involved in making an undo function which kept track of all of your changes and would allow you to undo an action. Many programs have an undo and at times when making an intersection I wish I could undo what I just did.

I realize this could cause some problems in multiplayer posibly, but what do people think?
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: An undo button?

Post by CommanderZ »

ThunderAI
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ThunderAI »

Thats interesting, but i didn't notice anywhere in the 6 pages that it said why we cant have one.

Is it a gameplay or mechanical reason as to why one isn't possible?
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

ThunderAI wrote:Thats interesting, but i didn't notice anywhere in the 6 pages that it said why we cant have one.
Is it a gameplay or mechanical reason as to why one isn't possible?
Are you sure you've read it all?
Gameplay wise, i'd say it makes no sens
Mechanical wise, it is a total non-sens. Amout of memory required, building up the save-process-on-all-actions, etc etc... beurk!
Humanly wise (gigantic amount of time devoted to develop the tool that would help the poor souls who do not know how to load a save game), it's an heresy.

So.. undo button? NO WAY
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

there is a perfectly fine "undo" option, it is called "autosave".
l_Blue_l
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by l_Blue_l »

Even better then a undo button would be a planning mode where you could design a route without haveing to build it and once you are happy with the design you construct it. Though this would be just as if not more complicated then an undo button. It wont happen but it would be nice :).
Aali
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aali »

l_Blue_l wrote:Even better then a undo button would be a planning mode where you could design a route without haveing to build it and once you are happy with the design you construct it. Though this would be just as if not more complicated then an undo button. It wont happen but it would be nice :).
We have this feature already, it's called save and load it up in another instance of OTTD ;)
Conditional Zenith
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Conditional Zenith »

That requires you to perform the actions twice, and doesn't save you from erroneous mouse clicks. Well loading from the save does save you from erroneous mouse clicks, but then you have to perform the actions a third time.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Aali wrote:
l_Blue_l wrote:Even better then a undo button would be a planning mode where you could design a route without haveing to build it and once you are happy with the design you construct it. Though this would be just as if not more complicated then an undo button. It wont happen but it would be nice :).
We have this feature already, it's called save and load it up in another instance of OTTD ;)
Not really, Aali.

What l_Blue_l suggests is more like what (new)AI's (e.g. AdmiralAI) do when building rails - first pathfind and terraform then boom just drop the track down and buy trains....could be interesting...
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

SirkoZ wrote:What l_Blue_l suggests is more like what (new)AI's (e.g. AdmiralAI) do when building rails - first pathfind and terraform then boom just drop the track down and buy trains....could be interesting...
That is not quite true. Ai's (in NoAI) first do pathfinding, but they build the route tile-by-tile, just a little bit quicker then humans do. That would be the exact same thing you'd do by first looking at the map (where am I going to build my route?) and only then starting the to the route on the spots you saw earlier.
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

you do have a planing stage, or should have anyway - basically you should turn on your thinker and look at the map, and consider where you want to lay tracks!
then you build. c'mon - you seriously just want openttd to allow you to act as stupid while building, without you losing your company because you threw out all the money you were loaned by the bank - you really expect managers to run companies like that?
suggestion: use a bit of brain (if possible) and once you have a rough idea, start building!
if it's not possible to use or brain, or if you dont have a brain - you might want to start playing sing star on a PS!
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I see it like this:
When you lay a piece of track in the wrong direction in real life you don't have an undo button either. You'll have to pick it up again and that will cost you. Both time and money.

While our game isn't completely realistic, one way or the other it's still a model of reality.
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

i probably would not have said anything if there were not these 'dig-ups' too
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=756878#p756878
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=756856#p756856

if you have issues with anybodies signature, talk to one of the admins, they then will deal with what you believe is an issue!

welcoming users who actually expect/require/demand to be welcomed is no fun!
Conditional Zenith
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Conditional Zenith »

FooBar wrote:I see it like this:
When you lay a piece of track in the wrong direction in real life you don't have an undo button either. You'll have to pick it up again and that will cost you. Both time and money.
The chances of laying a piece of track in the wrong direction in real life are much smaller than in this game. Here, a stray mouse click can do it. In real life, people review building plans, and it actually takes time to build, there is so much more time and so many more people who would notice something.

Now I'm not saying we should have a confirm button or anything stupid like that, just that accidentally building things wrong (and accidentally blowing up too much) in this game don't work as per real life.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Yes, that's actually true as well.

Although I don't miss an undo button, there's clearly a need for it from a certain group of users. How about not an undo history but a more simple 'undo last action'. Although that's probably too much to ask too :P

@dihedral:
Are you sure you posted in the right topic? :wink:
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Define "last action".

"Last user action that caused a cost" is probably not what most people want.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Alright, I was thinking about an action being the start of a certain building button getting activated until it gets deactivated or the undo button pressed.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Which is still not likely what people want. If I hit "undo", I'd want to reverse:
1) Station construction,
2) Right-of-way construction, and
3) Terraforming to enable 1 and 2.

In most circumstances, that's four different tools.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

And thus at least four different actions. If you're trying to say that an undo button is useless in most cases, just say so. You don't have to tell me that an undo history is better. I am already aware of that (try writing NFO in notepad). My suggestion was merely a compromise to reduce memory consumption. But leaving an undo button out is perfectly fine with me, I don't need one of those anyways for TTD.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”