[OTTD] OpenGFX releases - Graphics Replacement Project

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

bubersson
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX GPL Releases

Post by bubersson »

It works and looks nice! Good job! ;)
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Could you shift all letters one pixel down? The buttons have no space on the top side, but two pixels on the botom. I know it looks the same with the official GRFs, but I would like to see what would it like.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Here, try this one first: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=719103#p719103

I know it's not exactly the same font as the new one is bold, but that very grf contains the predecessor of the current font and was positioned one pixel lower.

The current OpenGFX font has exactly the same height as the original TTD font and is positioned in exactly the same position, so if things don't fit in a button I consider that more a problem of the button than the font itself. A language which uses a lot of accents on top of letters (like Czech) will have the text stick out at the top. The opposite is true for a language with lots of accents at the bottom of letters, where the text will stick out at the bottom. Currently text without accents fits exactly in the buttons and uses the complete height of the button.

If that grf I linked above doesn't give you a good overview of how the font would look one pixel down, please let me know and I'll try to compile a new grf for you.
eraserkry
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eraserkry »

Sorry and where is Russian language?
Thief^
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Thief^ »

Russian isn't a latin-based language, so someone else will have to do the font.

It should still work (assuming openttd supports russian, can't say I've checked), it will just use a system font instead of opengfx's font.
Melt with the Shadows,
Embrace your destiny...
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

OpenTTD supports Russian perfectly, but the thing is that supporting it requires drawing the complete cyrillic alphabet. Now I'd probably mess that up because I'm not familiar with the shapes of the cyrillic characters and end up drawing them all wrong. Besides drawing, the font needs to be coded, which is quite a task as well.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of supporting Russian with OpenGFX, but it's just that I'm not creating that support. If someone else is willing to give it a try, I am able to provide some guidelines on how one could best start drawing and how the coding process is done.

And like Thief^ already pointed out, OpenTTD will currently use a system font to display text in Russian; it's just that the text isn't displayed in the OpenGFX font.
AlienKing
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AlienKing »

Not sure if this is a known issue or not, but I couldn't find it in the wiki. The expand icon isn't correct. This is build 15036 win32. Disabling openGFX in the config file fixes it. No other grfs are loaded.
Attachments
expandicons.PNG
expandicons.PNG (124.89 KiB) Viewed 7258 times
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

It was mentioned in the other thread already ;)

... and it is no wonder that those sprites are missing since they were introduced in trunk only recently, after the latest release of OpenGFX.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Conditional Zenith
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Conditional Zenith »

Latest 4.1 alpha, full trucks have the same sprite as empty trucks (for coal at least). Couldn't find any mention of this as a known issue.
Attachments
full.png
full.png (31.67 KiB) Viewed 7175 times
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Added both to the buglist. Thanks for reporting.

@Conditional Zenith:
If you notice that with more trucks, please let us know.
Conditional Zenith
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Conditional Zenith »

Just to be clear, it only happens to the Balogh and uhl coal trucks, not the last one. The other trucks seem to be fine.

Edit: I updated it on the wiki page to reflect this.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

As of now, OpenGFX is available via the new Content Service. You need at least nightly r15126 to be able to use the in-game download function. In the future, new releases of OpenGFX will be made available through the Content Service so that you can easily update to the latest version. Just hit the 'Select updates' and 'Download' buttons in the 'Content downloading' window and the game takes care of the rest for you. Ofcourse, in the future you'll still be able to download OpenGFX the old way by manually downloading the latest release from this topic.

This was a public service announcement brought to you by the OpenGFX team.
Attachments
contentserver.png
contentserver.png (10.83 KiB) Viewed 6630 times
nicfer
Director
Director

Post by nicfer »

The trouble is that it can't be downloaded by people who doesn't have the original files. So keep a old version on here.
Sorry for my english I am argentinian
TTO don't crashes in Windows XP; XP crashes TTO

Formerly known as UnderBuilder.

MyMiniCity
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

The problem is that the game needs some sort of graphics to be able to load in the first place. This can be the original TTD graphics, this can be OpenGFX. Because of this, some sort of external download facility for the latter is useful.

Until OpenGFX is completed, new releases will be always made available in this topic and from now on also via the Content Service. So the topic will probably where you get OpenGFX in the first place and the Content Service will be the tool to update to newer versions once you have OpenGFX installed.
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

I wonder if OpenTTD could automatically check the content server and download a basegraphics set if none is found on startup.

Advantage: no need to include OpenGFX in the package for stable releases, but nevertheless enables new people to easily play without having to worry about base graphics.
Disadvantages:
*someone needs to code it
*dunno if the devs would be in favor of that
*what set to download automatically once there are more than just OpenGFX?
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Roujin wrote:...
Some ingame switch to switch (what else would a switch be doing...) between different Base Graphics would also be nice as well.

I don't think any set should be downloaded by default. I think it's better that, if no base graphics are found, the game presents you with the download dialog directly and list only the available base graphics and make it impossible to close the download dialog (button should behave as 'exit game') as long as no base graphics are installed.

That still leaves that someone needs to code it :P

Maybe some option to browse for the original TTD files somewhere available on the local system would be nice as well.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

How would an in-game GUI look without any graphics including characters?

It's in my opinion better to allow the base graphics to be installed via the different installers of OpenTTD.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Just as it looks right now when not all font glyphs for every character used by a certain language are available: it will load a system font instead. There might be another problem though, if my assumption that the colouring of fonts is done by recolour sprites is correct...

Anyhoe, letting the installer handle this stuff is fine by me. Users who don't use an installer should be able to install the base graphics manually themself, as it's quite similar to 'installing' the game without an installer: just extract some stuff and put it in some place.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

A new release of OpenGFX has just been made available via the Content Service. This release will also be made available via this topic in a short while.

Whats new in OpenGFX Alpha 4.2?
* Expand and Contract sprites for the new Advanced Settings menu added.
* Display of full load in coal trucks improved.
* Black map edge due to new 'freeform map edges' feature.
* OpenGFX files are now packed in a single tar file which does not require extracting (you still need to extract the zip file though).
Attachments
OpenGFX_Alpha4.2.zip
GPL v2
(3.12 MiB) Downloaded 7539 times
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

I have a slight problem with using the tar file. OpenTTD can't find it to use it as base graphics. If another set is available, it'll use those over the .tar one, extracting the .tar to the data folder and using like normal works perfectly fine though.

Return to “Graphics Releases”