mega stations (efficient-big-high capacity)

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Torben DH
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

mega stations (efficient-big-high capacity)

Post by Torben DH »

im looking for pictures of mega stations for inspiration for my game where i have a little struggle with a huge coal dump station

inspire me :D
Last edited by Torben DH on 02 Jan 2009 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
TDH
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: mega stations

Post by Yexo »

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Additionally have a look at some of our savegames from the archives: http://www.openttdcoop.org/wiki/PublicServer:Archive and http://www.openttdcoop.org/wiki/ProZone:Archive
Torben DH
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Torben DH »

@yexo Thx for the links allready spend a lot of time many of the places you link to...

@planetmaker i used to play in some of the first sandbox games and still spend a lot of time on coop-wiki-thingy and you guys should post more screenshots as it is far to complicated to load a savegame if your stuck in building something and need some inspiration.

OT:
I just spend 5 minutes counting arrivals at my main coal station over 3 counts the average was 17trains in one minute (17-16-18) each is 10 tiles long carrying 666t of coal spending exactly 11 seconds unloading.

and each train spend 1min 10sec from turning of th mainline till its back on track.

until now 120 out of approx 1600 coalmines are connected using 70 trains.

so the station should end up with 13x17=221 arrivals each minute. each occupying a platform for 11 min plus 2 sec decelleration and 4sec acceleration should mean a platform could be used by 3 trains per min. if the tracks can lead them in and out efficient enough!

reading the text above i begin to understand my friends, and girlfriend call me a geek;)
TDH
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Torben Paw wrote:@planetmaker i used to play in some of the first sandbox games and still spend a lot of time on coop-wiki-thingy and you guys should post more screenshots as it is far to complicated to load a savegame if your stuck in building something and need some inspiration.
I do agree that the Junctionary could indeed contain more (and partly also better) screenshots...

A station servicing approx. 550 trains is depicted here. It's a three tracks entry and exit station which uses the pre-signal bypass system as described in our wiki:
http://www.openttdcoop.org/wiki/images/d/d6/PSG91.png

As a rough guide one incoming track can fill approx. 6 ... 8 tracks in a station (varies with train length and speed)
Mega:Map Creator!!
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mega:Map Creator!! »

Don't Wanna Brag but since i'm called Mega and this is one of my mega stations,

It's the central station on my Game'Holi'day server it has cargodest, 55player patch and semi- infrastucture sharing :idea:
This station conneects all companies... not really what you need but I thought i'd show...

Greetings Mega :wink:

:bow:
Attachments
Utrecht CS, on Gameday server!!
Utrecht CS, on Gameday server!!
Utrecht CS.png (188.38 KiB) Viewed 4452 times
Torben DH
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Torben DH »

well its a big and impressive station but where are the trains? cant se any on the stationplatforms?
TDH
Mega:Map Creator!!
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mega:Map Creator!! »

You should come and see now..
its getting quite busy... the game from the pic still runs, i wont bother you with another screenshot just come and see ITS STILLL ONLINE!!

hope to cyu there!

:wink: Mega
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

I find that 3 platforms of 4-tile length stations with 100mph trains (double headed) are all that's necessary to keep a coal mine clear even at full output.

There's always a train leaving, a train entering and a train loading, it works perfectly.
Jon
Torben DH
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Torben DH »

most of my stations cover a large area with 3-6 coalmines and here i use very effective 4 platform terminus stations its at the drop of powerplant i struggle making an effective mega station not so easy with 10 tile trains if u want thm to mov at full speed all the time and keep the platforms filled for maximum throughput
TDH
Jade Ghost
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jade Ghost »

Three station designs I use all the time.

Torben, the fast RO-RO station is closest to what you are looking for: a fast, high capacity station that can handle a huge number of trains. also notice how it can easily be expanded over time as you connect more coal stations up to the main lines. :D
Attachments
Terminus station.png
(199.3 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
small ro-ro station.png
(84.21 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
Fast RO-RO station.png
(588.19 KiB) Downloaded 486 times
Torben DH
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Torben DH »

@J G

nice stations and they are full of trains often i se people who build huge stations with 1 train in every 10 platforms

nice designs to even though i dont like pbs entrances and exits

but you gave me some really good inspiration
TDH
Sande
Engineer
Engineer

Re: mega stations (efficient-big-high capacity)

Post by Sande »

I don't use Cargodest or some other patch. Just the original game that is downloadable in the OTTD site. And the Fast Ro-Ro station can be use there too, I think. Needs some more land for railroad and advanced signalling, butin the end it should work the same way. Two lines added into a ro-ro station like that... haven't thought about that before.
marcellus wallace
Engineer
Engineer

Post by marcellus wallace »

Factory/powerstation/woodmill station handling 300 trains
Attachments
station.png
(548.58 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
Sande
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sande »

I tried the fast Ro-Ro station posted 2-3 posts above me without Cargodest.
I only use what the original game offers me so... I had to use the pre-signals etc to simulate the thing.

I just took a previous game, made the big station, signals etc, then funded a power station and lotf of coal mines for one loading station. Basically the trains are doing a small circle now.
I got 30 trains going smoothly in this one. 2 lines, about 8-9 unload slots used max, the train can leave the station after unloading to wait until it can join the mainline again. I hope I got the signals right...
Basically the first four stations are meant for the inner track, then the next lines are for the outter track and also, the trains from the inner track could go over to the outter track stations. 30 trains moving without problems. Adding another track can only increase the station capacity... 4-5 stations per line is about enough. At least with my settings.
asd.png
(140.78 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Suggestions? Comments?
andyp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by andyp »

Sande wrote:I tried the fast Ro-Ro station posted 2-3 posts above me without Cargodest.
I only use what the original game offers me so... I had to use the pre-signals etc to simulate the thing.

I just took a previous game, made the big station, signals etc, then funded a power station and lotf of coal mines for one loading station. Basically the trains are doing a small circle now.
I got 30 trains going smoothly in this one. 2 lines, about 8-9 unload slots used max, the train can leave the station after unloading to wait until it can join the mainline again. I hope I got the signals right...
Basically the first four stations are meant for the inner track, then the next lines are for the outter track and also, the trains from the inner track could go over to the outter track stations. 30 trains moving without problems. Adding another track can only increase the station capacity... 4-5 stations per line is about enough. At least with my settings.
The attachment [img]asd.png[/img] is no longer available
Suggestions? Comments?
Everything I circled in purple should be combo pre-signals, not entry. And personally, I would use only regular signals after the station. With back to back entry pre-signals in the picture, that is pretty much how it is behaving.

The first signal after those platforms should be a regular signal to free up the platform quicker. The next signal (the one at the end of the waiting space) could be an entry (like they are), then all the signals in those diamond looking track blocks could be combo's, and the las signal after those be exits (one for each line, so two total, like you have). The problem I see is that a maximum of two trains can leave the station at the same time (one per mainline track). It might work OK with the station entrance like it is.

That arrangement can also lead to one train blocking the whole entrance or exit. If the train in the far lower right chooses the platform closest to the power station, then it blocks the other track entering the station. Same thing for the exit with the far platform.
Attachments
pres.PNG
(404.5 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Sande
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sande »

The whole entry can't be blocked. 2 signals are directing the wrong way. The exit... Yeah, that happens, but there is enough waiting space at the moment :p
I'll try dealing with it.
Sande
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sande »

OK, I took over one station design and tried to make it usable for 4 tracks in 4 tracks out. You can expand them both ways if you want/have the space.
5 stations per 1 track seems like the best ratio. In my games, that is.
Different cargo can be unloaded/uploaded in different parts of the station.
I think it will be very useful in my games, at least.
Last edited by Sande on 10 Jan 2009 19:26, edited 2 times in total.
nulio
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by nulio »

Sande wrote:OK, I took over one station design and tried to make it usable for 4 tracks in 4 tracks out. You can expand them both ways if you want/have the space.
5 stations per 1 track seems like the best ratio. In my games, that is.
Different cargo can be unloaded/uploaded in different parts of the station.
I think it will be very useful in my games, at least.
4station.png
It has some mistakes. The trains can't leave the station.
Sande
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sande »

Sh**! I totally failed with the upper right part lol. It is fixable. You get the point at least.
Edit: new pic.

Return to “General OpenTTD”