Model Railways

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Do you add flora and/or fauna, and ballast to your model?

I add flora and(or) fauna
No votes
I add just ballast
20%
I do both
70%
I leave the plain baseboard visible
10%

Total votes: 10

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Model Railways

Post by Redirect Left »

So, i'm planning on starting a nice rather large train set. Aside from it being quite expensive, i'm currently have the problem of locating enough space for it, but i'm sure i'll figure that out later on.

Do you have a train set? (Whatever make) if so, i'd be very interested to see your own images of your own sets, and of course, any hints and tips to help me along.

Thanks for reading - Jolteon / Adam

P.S: I'm thinking about doing a setup like this, that is shelved onto the wall to save space, anyone else done this?
Last edited by Redirect Left on 11 Mar 2018 09:06, edited 6 times in total.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Train Sets

Post by Doorslammer »

I've got a small one (fnaar fnaar)... :P

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... &sk=t&sd=a
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Lucky guys! I only have a single engine. :(
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Xrufuian
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Xrufuian »

athanasios wrote:Lucky guys! I only have a single engine. :(
I don't have a layout either, but trains a plenty, I do have.
So I am a member of a model railroad club. :D
Last edited by Xrufuian on 12 Dec 2008 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

I think there was similar thread somewhere, but I'm too lazy to find it :P

So, I have (in H0 scale) about 10 m of tracks, 2 RS-2 locos, and about 15 freight wagons. Mainly it's Mehano, and some wagons are Piko. I have in plan to make model in my basement, it'll be 2,5 x 1,5 m (I allready started to collect parts for model, and I have also some road vehicles in H0 scale).
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
Louie Armstrong
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Louie Armstrong »

I have a huge layout in my loft, there are pictures on the forums already somewhere.

The tracks reach around 3 sides of the wall, is double tracked with double loops either end, a 4 track station, a massive goods yard, engine yard, and a quarry we are working on. In total i think i have about 15 engines, 4 DMUs, 1 (8car) HST in the first blue and yellow livery, 2 rakes of 4 mk2 coaches, a plethora of goods wagons including 8 intermodal container wagons

Official TT-Jewel Staite FanClub
Official TT-Ellen Page FanClub
Official TT-Hayley Williams FanClub
Official TT-generic yet cute emo woman FanClub
jonty-comp wrote:I accidentally wedged my frigate between some rocks. D:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

One thing, am i correct in thinking that 00 & H0 use the same tracks, but 00 models are not 100% true scale to tracks, wheras H0 are?
I seem to think i've read this somewhere.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

I've got loads of stuff at my parents house, once I get somewhere permanent to live I want to start modeling again. I've got quite a few DMUs and small tank locos etc so I'd probably try starting small with a branch style layout, but perhaps a through station with a goods siding rather than a terminus. Most of my trains are historic now as they are from the sectorization era - I have a Hornby 142 pacer in provincial, a 156 Sprinter with the little man running on the side, a Network SouthEast 47 and 50, a railfrieght 37 and 50 (there was one!), a Scotrail 47, a Pullman class 73, and various other locos. My only tender steam loco is the Mallard in BR Green, but its a great model, and I have the ex-LNER coaches to go with it. But perhaps main line trains could get diverted through my backwater every so often - I have an HST in the early intercity livery - the one before the Swallow! :)
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

I have:
2 large loops
3 sidings

a goods shed
A small station
a crossing

A pendolino (390) 4-car
A class 57
A class 37 (Tasha's offically)
A class 08

2 limpets
2 container trucks
3 coal trucks
a few misc trucks and vans

A Percy 0-4-0 (not DCC'd at the moment)

A Hornby Select DCC controller

Coming shortly:
A Hornby Class 153 in Regional Railways
A Hornby Elite DCC controller

I do want some more trucks and maybe a big 8ft by 2ft board....

DCC is far easier if you have a large or small layout - it allows you to get the points linked up to one controller and add signals rather than building and learning the electronics... I've got a lot of track and the main thing for me is that I like to drive my trains rather than play about with some wires for 3 hours and get nowhere....
Andel
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Jolteon wrote:One thing, am i correct in thinking that 00 & H0 use the same tracks, but 00 models are not 100% true scale to tracks, wheras H0 are?
I seem to think i've read this somewhere.

Depends. There is British OO, and American OO. Prior to WWII, American OO (Where the track gauge was exact 4' 8-1/2" in 1:76 scale) was popular here. Lionel offered OO scale like this, as did Scale-Craft. Those cars, straight up, would not work on HO scale trackage. To boot, Lionel made two and three rail OO. A three rail car (Where both running rails were ground current) would short a 2 rail system.

Back then, some modelers interchanged OO and HO cars with trucks to match their trackage. Prior to the second world war, it was unclear what scale would be standard after the conflict, and many manufacturers made BOTH. Picard Novelty Co., made HO and OO wooden carbodies (As well as O Scale), that you put the approprate trucks on for your needs.

Now, British OO scale, runs on HO scale track. The reason, supposedly, is when HO scale was introduced in 1936, there was great difficulty fitting a motor in an HO scale (1:87) body, but they could do it in a 1:76 body. So basically, you will have a hard time interchanging British and American OO.

I collect and operate vintage HO trains myself. Most of my fleet is made prior to 1950. Back then, cars usually were either cast, or paper and wood. Locomotives were always cast metal- I got a lot of cast steam engines, a Walthers prewar HH600 switcher made of printers lead, a zinc H-16-44 'Baby Trainmaster', and ten cast lead F3s and FTs.

Much of my 150 square foot tabletop is not complete yet- rather than buy cheap plastic buildings, I opt to go the old style way, and hand build them out of balsa, basswood, and cardstock. I even have cars from 1936-1937 running, fully operational.

Even the couplers between cars and engines are authentic vintage HO- Mantua Metal Products, back then, made a loop coupler out of brass, somewhat similar to the Hornby couplers in Britian, though they do work somwhat different. Many old cars simply are not designed for knuckle couplers, popular after the mid-1950s.

Will have to get pics of some of my equipment and the better parts of my railroad.
Without Trains America Stops

Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

What Jolteon means is that UK OO gauge track is technically narrow gauge. HO/OO gauge track is if the memory serves correctly 16mm wide. But HO scale is half O scale - O scale is 7mm:1 foot while HO scale is 3.5mm:1 foot. But OO scale for whatever reason is 4mm:1 foot. To be scale accurate 4mm:1 foot track should actually be about 18mm wide, and there are actually arguments between two rival camps as to which exact measurement is correct - you can have EM gauge or P4 gauge - I forget what the exact decimal is, but both these gauges are 18.x mm - these people are so exact they measure the track down to a 2 significant figure level of a millimetre! But personally I would just stick with OO gauge unless you want to have to change the bogies on everything you buy - life is too short for that I think.

No doubt someone here uses EM or P4 and can tell us exactly what those measurements are.
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

KevoOO,

What I said still holds. American OO and British OO use different track gauge. So you can't buy an American OO car or locomotive, and run it straight up on a British OO layout.

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

According to Wikipedia, both H0 & 00 use 16.55mm track? :s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/00_gauge & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HO_scale
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Apparently not written by someone on this side of the pond, either. We do not write HO as H and the number zero either.

I have six Scale-Craft American OO coaches, two came with their original trucks. Those American OO trucks do not fit HO trackage. They look too big on HO trucks- I use Central Valley cast trucks on them now

Google "American OO" and you'll see some interesting stuff.

Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Jolteon wrote:According to Wikipedia, both H0 & 00 use 16.55mm track? :s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/00_gauge & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HO_scale
Yes. Re-read my post. For some reason UK OO uses HO track, but technically in 4mm scale the HO track is too narrow to be standard gauge.

RailwayModeller: I was not aware of US OO and was not arguing against you, simply explaining the cause of the confusion that Jolteon was referring to.
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I understand, Kevo. Actually, I should probably find my old Scale Craft trucks, and phtograph them next to a pair of HO trucks for comparison.

I guess the point of the difference between British OO and American OO is moot- most people wouldn't mix them anyway.

Back on topic- I got a bunch of antique HO scale locomotives in today. A cast metal Varney rigid frame Pacific class, with sheet brass tender. Late 1940s production it seems.
Varney 4-8-2 Mountain class, cast bass or bronze maybe. 1947 production.

New One models (Of Tokyo) 2-8-2 Mikado class, cast metal, looks almost never run! Early 1960s production.

A.C. Gilbert New York Centrak J3a 4-6-4 Hudson- postwar D.C. current runner (I also got a 1930s A.C. current locomotive by Gilbert of the same design)

Mantua 0-4-0 switcher, I just wanted this one for the motor and frame. It is late 1960s production and has pastic boiler and cab. These are being replaced by metal boiler and cab.

President
President

Post by WWW »

Rich kid options:

Get: ZCC digital + Pre-fitted Bachmann trains + a nerd to install it all.

Don't get: Bachmann E-Z

Poor man's options.

Get: pretty much anything: it's all expandable.
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

Kevo00 wrote:What Jolteon means is that UK OO gauge track is technically narrow gauge. HO/OO gauge track is if the memory serves correctly 16mm wide. But HO scale is half O scale - O scale is 7mm:1 foot while HO scale is 3.5mm:1 foot. But OO scale for whatever reason is 4mm:1 foot. To be scale accurate 4mm:1 foot track should actually be about 18mm wide, and there are actually arguments between two rival camps as to which exact measurement is correct - you can have EM gauge or P4 gauge - I forget what the exact decimal is, but both these gauges are 18.x mm - these people are so exact they measure the track down to a 2 significant figure level of a millimetre! But personally I would just stick with OO gauge unless you want to have to change the bogies on everything you buy - life is too short for that I think.

No doubt someone here uses EM or P4 and can tell us exactly what those measurements are.
18.83mm for dead-on exact true to scale P4/S4 scale track. EM, being less exacting, uses a rounded 18mm track width.
Beardie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Beardie »

Wow didn't realize that so many people were interested in model Trains, i myself have quiet a few trains myself (OO gauge that is), a good range of diesel and a few steamers, all my trains are Hornby and are based around the 1950, 1960s period of British Rail, Hence BR greens and black steamers. The most prized train i have though is the Flying Scotsman in BR Green with number 60103, i got it second hand, but it had never been used so its pretty much brand new. When i have ten minutes i'll make a list of what i have.
My dad does have a OO gauge train layout in a partitioned room in the garage, which i do use. We also have a G gauge layout in the back garden and a few gardens down the WCML, :P . So got small, medium and big trains, all can be seen at once. :P
Previously Known As Beardie27
Check out my UPDATED! Screenshot Thread
Check out my Railway Photography and Deviant Account

Dave

Post by Dave »

I started building a modular layout in my room but there's not enough space. It'll be finished one day - i.e. when I'm not busy with uni work.

It was meant to be a pre-1960s yard, with a single track rising onto an overbridge and onto an embankment overlooking a small village.

(the embankment overlooking the village and the village will be on another module)
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...

Return to “Off-Topic”