[patch] More Map Settings v2 (r14439)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

[patch] More Map Settings v2 (r14439)

Post by CommanderZ »

This patch adds (for now) two often requested option values to the map generation screen:

No. of towns - very low - Yes, this option was here for very long time. I just changed its meaning, in fact the value "very high" was added instead and all values were shifted one level up, so what used to be "high" is now "very high". And the "very low" generates cca 5* less towns than it used to do. Believe me, the population is really scarce with this setting :)

Water level - very high - I have seen people requesting real archipelago maps several times. Now you can have them :) The size of individual islands is determined by the smoothness. The smoother the map, the larger, but rarer the island are.

Known issues

- the very high water level does no good with 64*64 maps
- the very high water level does no good with Original map generator

Version history

5.10.08 - Version 1 released - very high water level and new very low no. of towns introduced

Some more suggestions? I'm open, just please don't request lower industry density. I gonna do it, but it will need some more work than just toying with numbers and drop down boxes :roll:
Attachments
The very low no. of towns and very high water level with rough terrain smoothness (the screenshot graphical errors are caused by downsizing the image)
The very low no. of towns and very high water level with rough terrain smoothness (the screenshot graphical errors are caused by downsizing the image)
MMS.png (36.59 KiB) Viewed 15354 times
MMS_v1_win32.zip
Ready to use Win32 r14339 version 1 executable
(2.21 MiB) Downloaded 414 times
MMS_v1_081005_r14339.patch
(8.44 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
Last edited by CommanderZ on 12 Oct 2008 16:15, edited 2 times in total.
Lordmwa
President
President

Re: [patch] More Map Settings v1 (r14439)

Post by Lordmwa »

Water level very high should deffinetly be in the trunk at some point - not sure about the very low pop but i personally like the passenger transport (not that its a bad thing :D)
The TT forums trivia tournament! Come along and join in the fun
http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90722
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

not sure about the very low pop but i personally like the passenger transport (not that its a bad thing )
Try this with initial town size multiplier set to 7 or so. You will still have plenty of passengers to transport. This just leaves more room for networking etc.
Lordmwa
President
President

Post by Lordmwa »

That is an interesting idea

Thank you i shall try that
The TT forums trivia tournament! Come along and join in the fun
http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90722
Aali
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aali »

Soo, where is the actual patch?

Would love to try this out, but i run a number of other patches that i don't want to give up.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Sorry :oops:

Now it is attached to the first post.
PhilSophus
Chairman
Chairman

Post by PhilSophus »

Aali wrote: Would love to try this out, but i run a number of other patches that i don't want to give up.
Looking at the patch there seems to be a good chance that it applies cleanly with other patches as long as none of them deals with the map generation.

Another option would be to use a version just with this patch, generate the map, save it and load it with the other version. AFAICS this patch doesn't change savegame the format and if the other patched version is able to load trunk savegames (which it should if the authors did everything right) and trunk savegame version didn't change since then it should work.

Edit: And almost forgot: Great work, CommanderZ. The archipelago looks just great. And I've always wanted to play very large maps with only few cities to have a better scale between areas of cities and landscape.
"The bigger the island of our knowledge, the longer the shore of our ignorance" - John A. Wheeler, Physicist, 1911-2008
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Yep, I can't think of patch that would not be compatible with this as it only add a couple of strings, alters some value tables (for amount of water and cities) and add them drop downs. And even if there were some conflicts, they would be absolutely trivial to solve.
Octopuss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Octopuss »

ABSOLUTELY awesome!!! Thanks a lot :)
Octopuss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Octopuss »

edit: in for deletion
thanks
Last edited by Octopuss on 05 Oct 2008 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
PhilSophus
Chairman
Chairman

Post by PhilSophus »

Octopuss wrote:Ah, btw, best would be to add it to bugtracker as well... it'd be perfect if it made it to the trunk.
Maybe CommanderZ wants to finish the patch first (he wrote he wants to implement lower industry setting) and test it thoroughly before suggesting it for trunk.

BTW: Could you please use the edit button next time instead of double posting.
"The bigger the island of our knowledge, the longer the shore of our ignorance" - John A. Wheeler, Physicist, 1911-2008
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Correct, I will consider posting it to bugtracker once the features are in place and all issues are solved.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Much better than existing system. I really like your screenshot. 64x64 maps have problem? Who cares? Certainly we all play there with low water.
As I have already suggested, a slider would be much better and allow more options. I would like to have the option to play with even less land and/or cities. And yes, I wouldn't use such an option in < 2048x2048 maps.

regards
athanasios
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

It wouldn't be really hard to create a text box to type a land/population percentage in, but would need to see interest in it (especially from devs), so my effort wouldn't fall in vain.

Also, there is one more problem in the way how the map is generated (in TGP, I don't understand the original generator rignt now) - the land shape is created first and then it is flooded one height level at time until it reaches the desired percentage of water in map area. This usually works well, but it might result in failure as certain circumstances. For example the 64*64 maps are usually one flat area with one small hill. When you start flooding this level by level, it can result in only a few tiles of landmass where any town cannot be generated.

If I was a dev, I would remove 64*64 maps. They are way too small to be playable and case trouble with every patch I make :twisted:
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

CommanderZ wrote:If I was a dev, I would remove 64*64 maps. They are way too small to be playable and case trouble with every patch I make :twisted:
They're ideal for demonstrations, though. The file size of a 64x64 saved game makes it a good medium for emailing somebody an example of track, etc. Handy; just not handy for a full-on game.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

just not handy for a full-on game.
But it still means all map settings should be compatible with them :(
Octopuss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Octopuss »

Interesting thing I came around while compiling some patches. Is this one compatible with Better map borders? :) I got no idea what each of them changes, but both change the land generator and when one is already applied, Tortoise reports the particular source file as different...
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

They do changes to the same files, but they should be easily mergeable as MMS change the parameters, but BMB change the map generator core.
Octopuss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Octopuss »

Allright, but how do I do the merge? Whenever I try to do the "update all" in Tortoise, some specific version of the source file is downloaded from trunk, leaving me with only one of the patches applied.
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

CommanderZ wrote:If I was a dev, I would remove 64*64 maps. They are way too small to be playable and case trouble with every patch I make :twisted:
But luckily, you are not a dev, plus, i know a few ones who would revert that removal.
They do have a purpose, and they are really hard to play, mainly because of their sizes. As for your patches, maybe you should try to find out WHY they cause you trouble, instead of wanting ti remove them ;)
Apart from that: you do not provide a converion from your old twon number to the new one.
Plus, I know that even with that "1" setting, lots of people will still complain aobut the numbers generated. and since you're at the lowest ever be with current technic, you are doomed for going any further.
So another approach has to be found.
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones

Return to “OpenTTD Development”