OpenTTD Auto Update - 2.0.6

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenTTD Auto Update - 1.1 and 2.0 alpha 2

Post by CommanderZ »

Thanks for adding the proxy support, now it works great.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Thanks, nice to hear that the proxy support is working for you now!

I've not heard anyone saying that they had any problems with the SelfUpdates so I assume it worked well for everybody that used the automated upgrade from alpha 1 to alpha 2.

I also want to point out a feature not every one might be aware of. If you start OpenTTDAutoUpdate2.exe with -h or --help you will get a message telling you what command-line options that are supported and the syntax for it. Basically the command line options can be used to --select a specific installation and perform --update and/or --play action on it.

Creating a shortcuts to a specific installation
Let say I have a NoAI installation that I would like to have a shortcut to on my desktop. Perhaps so that I can set a global hotkey to it and start a fresh version of NoAI from my keyboard.

I first fire up OpenTTD Auto Update as usual and get into the edit dialog for my NoAI installation so I can copy the exact name-string so I don't make a typo.
noai.png
noai.png (15.4 KiB) Viewed 7456 times
Second thing is to make the shortcut on the desktop.

Third thing is to customize the shortcut. Right click on it and open up the properties window (or simply press alt + enter when you have the shortcut selected) Now, go to the shortcut tab (the middle one). After the ending " in target add:

Code: Select all

--select "NoAI Rocks" --update --play
You can omit either --play or --update. Make sure to write --update --play and not the other way around though as (I just tested it) it will give you some problems that are fixed by an --update given that there is an update available (or remove openttd.exe to force update). You can even write --play --play if you want two OpenTTD clients for some particular reason.
properties.png
properties.png (27.56 KiB) Viewed 7458 times
Lastly I set the global hotkey, as shown in the screenshot above. I already use Ctrl + Alt + N for putty, but the A key is unused, so I pick it.

Edit: And if you look closely you see I haven't used copy-paste as in the properties window I have capitalized the R in rocks. But OpenTTDAutoUpdate2.exe makes both strings to lowercase before comparing. But if you add an extra character somewhere you will get into problems. In case you write a bad name the main window will show up as if you didn't add any command line arguments. It could be argued that a error message would be good here, but currently there is no error message other than that the main window gets showed.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Tvel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tvel »

Good work Zuu, i love the version 2 :D

And update your sig to "alpha 2" :P

Edit: I wonder why I didn't know about keyboard shortcuts to shortcuts until i saw your post...
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Tvel wrote:Good work Zuu, i love the version 2 :D

And update your sig to "alpha 2" :P
Thank you, and yes second time I forgot to update my signature...

Tvel wrote:Edit: I wonder why I didn't know about keyboard shortcuts to shortcuts until i saw your post...
Nice you learned something new then. :)
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

OpenTTD Auto Update 2.0 alpha 3

Post by Zuu »

OpenTTD Auto Update Alpha 3
--- Changes: ---
  • Handles upgrade packages of #openttdcoop GRF package. (The server decides if upgrade or full package will be used.)
  • Added Ctrl+J, Ctrl+K to move down/up in the installations list. Nice if you want to navigate entirely using the keyboard. J/K comes from the VI text editor for those who don't recognize that immediately.
  • Added menu items in help menu to access website, forum thread and server status page.
  • Remembers if More info is enabled between sessions. So you don't need to click for more info every time if you like to have it enabled.

--- Recent Server Changes --
  • The server now responds 'no update available' when a target is down instead of version <empty string> is available.
  • Decreased timeout time when the server communicates with other servers, so a server that is down don't block up the UpdateServer too much.
Edit:
And there is one more change that I forgot about in the update information files:
-> You can now check just one installation for updates by pressing Ctrl+F5 or access it in the Actions menu.
Attachments
OpenTTDAutoUpdate2_alpha3.zip
(479.93 KiB) Downloaded 551 times
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: OpenTTD Auto Update - 1.1 and 2.0 alpha 3

Post by Zuu »

I want to inform all users that currently the release targets that depend on information from openttd.org which is most of them are currently broken. And also probably all the other as they download openttd zip-files from openttd.org.

The reason for this is that OpenTTD have changed to a new compile farm and the interface for how the updater server get information from openttd.org has changed. Also the download locations has changed. No need to go and blame the dev for this, as I've been informed by them 1-2 weeks ago about this change is coming. Just have not made the changes to the updater server yet.

For 1.1 users this means that I need to make a new client for you and for 2.0 alpha users you need to wait for me to change the updater server.

I will post an update to this thread when it is done.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Update:

All targets should now work again, using the new finger.openttd.org service. The server status page has been updated to now also include last version reported for the target.

A new problem that I've found out today though is that the changes.log file that previously got supplied with the zip-files for nightlies and noai-nightlies is no longer included. Instead the program need to fetch it from the internet. To handle this changes the client will be required. Which I don't have time for at the moment. So for now you will get an empty ChangeLog window at update.
Octopuss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Octopuss »

No luck here.
"bad download URL for OpenTTD zip-file"
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Fixed. Thank you for reporting. Next time please include for which target you have problem.
Hamus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hamus »

ZUU:-

Don't know if it has already been brought to your attention but at the present time (plus for awhile)
I'm using OpenTTD Auto Upate 2.0 alpha3 and downloading latest nightly but there has been
no changelog appearing (have checkbox checked).
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Hamus wrote:ZUU:-

Don't know if it has already been brought to your attention but at the present time (plus for awhile)
I'm using OpenTTD Auto Upate 2.0 alpha3 and downloading latest nightly but there has been
no changelog appearing (have checkbox checked).
Hi, thank you for your attention. I have noticed that too and I've written about it earlier in the thread. The reason for the problem is that the file that contains the changelog is no longer distributed with the nightlies, instead my program have to download them from a location that is dependent on revision number. Last month or so have been a busy time for me so I have not yet had time to fix it. But it will get fixed when I have time as it is my favorite feature (besides updating) of the program. :D

Edit: This issue appeared when the new compile farm got rolled out. I've got it explained to me that the fact that the change log was included in nightly zips before was just a hack that now got fixed.

Edit2: You can safely disable show change log after update for now since when I have fixed the problem you will see a window telling you that alpha 4 is available.
avdg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by avdg »

I love OTTDAU :)

some suggestions:
-Shouldn't be nice if you have a shortcut wizart in the OTTAU.
-Also maybe a 'smart' mapnaming... if you look at the serverlist at the last release, not all servers will update immeadiatly :)
The problem is with the 5 files if you make a new map (give up the map by configuration and copy?)
-OTTDAU reports when a directory is empty... combined with the previous suggestion should be very nice

Its just for giving ideas for next releases if you have no ideas anymore :p

Ty Zuu for your nice updater and hope it will be the most useful tool at openttd (wich already is by me)
#openttdcoop - building at the new revolution

Do you know a smarter moment then discovering that you where doing something wrong?
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

avdg wrote:I love OTTDAU :)
Nice to hear you like it :-)

Generally you have written with quite lazy English. Please don't take my comments as offense, but guidance for what information you should have provided. Remember only you can read your toughs. So spend some more time on message
writing next time please.
avdg wrote:-Shouldn't be nice if you have a shortcut wizart in the OTTAU.
Your english is quite lazy. Do you mean a wizard to make shortcuts or a wizard just in general?
avdg wrote:-Also maybe a 'smart' mapnaming... if you look at the serverlist at the last release, not all servers will update immeadiatly :)
The problem is with the 5 files if you make a new map (give up the map by configuration and copy?)
I fail to understand what you mean. Would you like to try write it again more detailed. For example, "last release" would be very good if you wrote OpenTTD or OTTDAU after that so it would be possible to understand which program you refere to. Also what 5 files? And what actually are you refering to with "map name"?
avdg wrote:-OTTDAU reports when a directory is empty... combined with the previous suggestion should be very nice
OTTDAU already reports if an OpenTTD installation directory is empty in two ways. First it says "no openttd.exe" in the status information for an installation in the installations list, second if you update that installation (ctrl+u or ctrl+o) you will get a dialog asking you for confirmation before it will continue.

So what is the suggestion part of that? You wrote it as an item under your suggestions heading, so please only write suggestions under a heading called suggestions.

Did I misunderstand you? Did you want OpenTTDAU to report when any other directories than the OpenTTD installation directories are empty? Please specify which directories you though of.
avdg wrote:Its just for giving ideas for next releases if you have no ideas anymore :p

Ty Zuu for your nice updater and hope it will be the most useful tool at openttd (wich already is by me)
Don't expect any updates very soon. But let me thank you for your feedback on the program. Your feedback will become more useful however if you spend some time explaining what you really meant.
avdg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by avdg »

About my previous reply (yeah sorry for my English, its bad :D):
Your english is quite lazy. Do you mean a wizard to make shortcuts or a wizard just in general?
I mean a wizard for making shortcuts
I fail to understand what you mean. Would you like to try write it again more detailed. For example, "last release" would be very good if you wrote OpenTTD or OTTDAU after that so it would be possible to understand which program you refere to. Also what 5 files? And what actually are you refering to with "map name"?
If a new (recent) version comes out, not all servers will be upgrade immediately to the new version. Therefore it might be useful for you who still have older versions. For making that archive you will need unique map names... so you will still having your previous versions intact, but you can still play at the most recently server. About these 5 files, these are the files from the original cd (sample.cat and some .grf files). These files need to be copied, or you cant play the game... also when you make a new empty map (*), you will need these files...

I hope that this text will explain more

(*)
-OTTDAU reports when a directory is empty... combined with the previous suggestion should be very nice
Edit: offtopic: Belgium has 2 (and a third last small 1) official languages: Dutch, French and German. We dont speak Belgium (or any kind of that)
Last edited by avdg on 06 Dec 2008 20:41, edited 2 times in total.
#openttdcoop - building at the new revolution

Do you know a smarter moment then discovering that you where doing something wrong?
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

See, what you mean more now. I guess in Belguian you have a word similar to to the Swedish word "Mapp" that means folder/directory. However, in English there is no word similar to map/mapp with the meaning folder/directory.

The original data files you can put in "My documents\OpenTTD\data" as explained in the installation guide of OpenTTDAU. If you put them there you will not need to put them in the data-directory of every OpenTTD-installation, OpenTTD will find them anyway.

For creating shortcuts I've written a guide in this thread how to make a shortcut for "pick <installation>, update it, play it". Its not a wizard, but it I've illustrated the guide with screenshots.

When it comes to servers, if you play #openttdcoop, then select #openttdcoop PS or ProZone as release target to get the OpenTTD version that is currently used by them. If you play on other servers that does not has a release target and does not strictly stick to last nightly you indeed as a little problem. Using ctrl+u / ctrl+p to just update/play when you know which action is the correct can help you a little.

I see two possible ways:
* Add more servers to the release target list. (This currently requires the server owner to have an http server providing version info using preferable the finger-format. There is a php library for querying servers for version info directly, but that version info needs to be translated into a download url.)
* Add a client side "custom..." option that let the user specify the server address. This also requires translating the server version info queried from the server into a download url.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

I'm very happy to present you with a new version, with again working change log viewing. In addition there are some other nice new stuff, including support for custom multiplayer servers and cargodest.

I don't feel like writing an extensive text about all changes again, so here is the release notes displayed after self update:
===== OpenTTD Auto Update - 2.0 Beta 1 =====

--- Changes: ---

* A side effect of the OpenTTD server change was that the change log was no longer more included in the nightly zip-files. Because of this viewing the change log has failed since then.

This version re-introduces the change log again, with some improvements. Now since the change log needs to be downloaded separately I also made so that it is shown before OpenTTD is updated with the possibility to abort the update. Another change is that the changelog is displayed also for Stable releases and cargodest. However the filtering that extracts the changes since last update is only available for nightly and branch nightlies (excluding cargodest as it uses another format for its change log).

REMEMBER to re-enable showing change log, if you have disabled it because of the long down time of this feature.

* A new release target "Custom Multiplayer Server" has been added. This release target let you set an OpenTTD multiplayer server that should be queried for OpenTTD version. Currently only nightly and stable (including pre-stable/testing) releases are supported for this feature.

* The client has been changed to allow limited support for cargodest. By sending the raw version string to the Update Server the update server can check if there is a new cargodest version available, but the program itself can't tell which version it has installed. So in more info you will not see what OpenTTD version that is currently installed, but updating only when a new version is available will work.

* Improved the enabling/disabling of menu items, so only valid items are enabled depending on number of installations in the list and if any installation is selected or not.

* Added a menu item in the Installations menu that opens the OpenTTD installation directory in Explorer. Because both Ctrl+O and Ctrl+E are used, I've picked Ctrl+D for it. Sadly it does not conform with my goal to have most shortcuts on one of your hands on both Dvorak and Qwerty keyboard layout.

* Added a user guide that is shown for new users that has no installations added. Also you can access this guide from the Help menu.

* The program now remembers the height of the main window, useful if you have a longer list than the default size of the window.

* I've hidden the "Save List" and "Load List" menu items as even I as developer of this program really never uses them. They probably make users more confused than make good. If you have a different opinion, you may want to post it to the forum thread of OpenTTD Auto Update. (See Help menu)

* Internally release targets have up to now only been represented with the same string as displayed to the users. With this version a numerical ID has also been added so that name changes will be possible without users having to manually edit their installation settings. Updating of names requires however that the installations.xml file has been saved by 2.0 beta 1 or later.

--- Recent Server Changes --

* Adapted to work with finger.openttd.org
* There has been a major overhaul of the Update server, to reduce the number of requests to the finger server, and clean up the code.
* Cargodest has been added (requires client version 2.0 beta 1 or later)
* Needed backend services for custom multiplayer server have been added. Thanks to dihedral for OpenTTDLib.
Attachments
OpenTTDAutoUpdate2_beta1.zip
(497.76 KiB) Downloaded 912 times
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

If you are one of those four people who downloaded the version that had an update/abort button on the window that displays the release note you may want to update your openttdautoupdate2.exe file to the one attached to this post. It is nothing critical, all you will notice is that when a new #openttdcoop grf pack is released you will have the Update/Abort buttons on the change log window, while they both works as a close button. I'm sorry for this, but didn't want to make a beta 2 for just this. Users updating to 2.0 Beta 1 from now on are not affected.

Edit:

To see if you are affected you should have the button arrangement on the update readme window shown in this picture:
bug.png
bug.png (29.95 KiB) Viewed 6356 times
The correct button placement is:
correct.png
correct.png (4.15 KiB) Viewed 6356 times
If you have already closed the window you can start the program by using a special command in the command prompt to show the update readme window:

OpenTTDAutoUpdate2.exe --after-update

For all file listing dialogs except the change log the last picture shows the correct placement. For the change log window the correct placement is however the one in bug.png.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenTTD Auto Update - 1.1 and 2.0 beta 1

Post by CommanderZ »

I have one suggestion for this amazing piece of software: make option for the program to terminate itself once the game is updated and started :roll:
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

CommanderZ wrote:I have one suggestion for this amazing piece of software: make option for the program to terminate itself once the game is updated and started :roll:
Hmm, that makes good sense actually. Let see whenever I get around to code on it.

I know of a slight bug that affects the NoAI target which I guess many of you have also seen. After NoAI was merged the updater program downloads the nightly correctly instead of NoAI as it is told by finger.openttd.org to do, but it still reports that a nightly binary is installed. And also it fails to detect that you already have the last nightly installed. A workaround that I guess most of you who for some reason want to keep your NoAI installation have found is to edit that installation and change to the Last Nightly target.

I usually keep it open in the taskbar so I don't need to close all my windows to access the desktop to start it whenever I want to start OpenTTD again. :-) And having all my various OpenTTD installation there, I like a lot. But I will keep in mind your suggestion and probably include that in next update. I can however not promise when that will be. ;)

Edit: And thank you for your warm words about the program.
HyBeRbOoM xLc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HyBeRbOoM xLc »

Sorry for blow your bubble.

Could not connect to internet (http://users.tt-forums.net/ottdau/).

The program will remain in offline mode.
Is there any way i can work around this problem?
<CTRL>, <ALT>, <DEL> ;)

Return to “General OpenTTD”