[Patch] safer level crossings (r14264)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

sulai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

[Patch] safer level crossings (r14264)

Post by sulai »

This patch makes level crossings safer!

With this patch, not only road vehicles stop for trains, but also trains stop for road vehicles.

Summary:
- road vehicles are safer
- trains get slower, because they sometimes have to wait
- the rail track builder has to care about the safety of road vehicles (not the road vehicle owner)

Comments greatly appreciated =)
Attachments
saferLevelCrossing_r14264.diff
(3.34 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
How to build safe level crossings?<br />a) PBS Signals, no matter how far they are -&gt; 100% safe level crossings. Train will stop for road vehicles.<br />b) Normal signals directly next to the crossing -&gt; quite safe level crossings. Train stops for road vehicles which are broken down or queued. In rare cases there will be crashes with traveling road vehicles. *<br />c) Normal signals, more far away -&gt; unsafe level crossings. Still they are more safe than the original ones.<br /><br />* In case b) the rail signals get green a little earlier than the level crossing gets barred. If in this very little time a road vehicle enters the crossing, there will be a crash.
How to build safe level crossings?
a) PBS Signals, no matter how far they are -> 100% safe level crossings. Train will stop for road vehicles.
b) Normal signals directly next to the crossing -> quite safe level crossings. Train stops for road vehicles which are broken down or queued. In rare cases there will be crashes with traveling road vehicles. *
c) Normal signals, more far away -> unsafe level crossings. Still they are more safe than the original ones.

* In case b) the rail signals get green a little earlier than the level crossing gets barred. If in this very little time a road vehicle enters the crossing, there will be a crash.
saferLevelCrossings.png (22.77 KiB) Viewed 6508 times
Tvel
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [Patch] safer level crossings (r14264)

Post by Tvel »

Sounds very good. I was always annoyed when trains crash road vehicles this way.
Nice work!
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Is it still possible, with this patch, to use PBS signals to close a level crossing to traffic in advance? Assume for a moment that, as a train operator, I don't want any of my trains to stop for road vehicles.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Now there's an idea. Is it possible to reverse the usual behaviour of crossings, so that instead of vehicles stopping, the engines have to?
It would cut down on the amount of crashes you get...
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Gremnon wrote:Now there's an idea. Is it possible to reverse the usual behaviour of crossings, so that instead of vehicles stopping, the engines have to?
It would cut down on the amount of crashes you get...
That seems to be what this patch does. Not sure I like it; I don't really care how many trucks my snow ploughs^W^Wtrains hit.
Last edited by Brianetta on 08 Sep 2008 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
sulai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sulai »

Brianetta wrote:Is it still possible, with this patch, to use PBS signals to close a level crossing to traffic in advance? Assume for a moment that, as a train operator, I don't want any of my trains to stop for road vehicles.
Trains and road vehicles have equal rights on a level crossing. The first one there blocks the crossing for the other direction. A train has to stop for a vehicle in exactly that cases, where normally there would have been a crash.

The patch makes level crossings more interesting: The traffic load of a level crossing now concerns both the train manager and the road vehicle manager. The road vehicle owner is no longer disadvantaged. The vehicles of both managers are safe (assumed PBS is used only), but the traffic load is limited. Both players now have to bother about that issue and may build bridges or take another route.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

If some of us get our way and railways vehicles become unable to stop magically for a red signal, this isn't going to be very helpful. To stop a train could need several tiles' notice. There's no guarantee this will happen, but it might be something to bear in mind. FWIW, I'd be unhappy to make my trains stop for vehicles, and would arrange my signalling in the favour of trains no matter what. Trains don't stop for road vehicles in the UK any more; it's just not possible to stop them now they go so fast.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I agree and it takes just as long to get back to speed especially when other slow/stop because of a stopped one. I also feel this could be abused in mp by placing a RV on the tracks and not sending it off on a route.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
sulai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sulai »

robotboy wrote:I agree and it takes just as long to get back to speed especially when other slow/stop because of a stopped one. I also feel this could be abused in mp by placing a RV on the tracks and not sending it off on a route.
In that case, let your train ignore the signal and just crash the stopped vehicle ;)
Brianetta wrote:... I'd be unhappy to make my trains stop for vehicles, and would arrange my signalling in the favour of trains no matter what...
Thats what this patch does: not only the road vehicle manger has to react on a level crossing, but the train manager too. Give this patch a try and you'll see how it plays ;)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i don't see much point in this patch, trains should never care about road vehicles. the YAPP signals already can make sure the crossings are closed way in advance (which dictates a long signal distance, which already has enough consequences on gameplay). more effort should be taken to make sure that road vehicles never stop on a crossing, so multiple adjacent crossings should close simultaneously, and vehicles already on the crossings must be able to leave, so they won't stop in the middle of such a multi-tile crossing.

there was a "trains break down when they crash with a road vehicle" patch a while back. that could be a suitible annoyance for the train controller.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Brianetta wrote:Trains don't stop for road vehicles in the UK any more
Wouldn´t that be too "realistic"? Isn´t this "a game"? :mrgreen:

regards
Michael
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

michael blunck wrote:
Wouldn´t that be too "realistic"? Isn´t this "a game"? :mrgreen:
A case of real life imitating TTD, perhaps. (:
sulai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sulai »

For those who are interested: also have a look at this patch: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=27184

It makes road vehicles stop in front of level crossings if they can't reach the tile after the crossing.
Sacro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sacro »

Actually, most crossings have a signal that protects it and that won't clear until the crossing is confirmed as clear, TT crossings look like Automatic Half Barrier and they are CCTV or locally monitored.
We Am De Best

Host of ThroughTheTube site
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

that might be worth considering, but it will be a big annoyance for the trains without advance signals, as they'd mostly have to stop be{fore,hind} the signal before the last road vehicle clears the crossing.

in germany on some very small branch lines (or when the crossing is broken), the trains have to do a full stop to secure the crossing manually, but i think gameplay would suffer too much from such a "feature". it's the point where i agree with Belugas, too much realism can harm the gameplay, and gameplay is more important.
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

Not sure I would use this patch myself.

And after reading through some accident reports from the Federal Railroad Administration, it seems as if (at least here in the US) the behavior of road vehicles vs. protected crossings is very realistic.

Here's a thought: have crossbucks (the plain signs from the "old" roads in the North American road set) be the default crossing, and work like the current crossings. Be able to build a better crossing, with lights, gates, etc. Then have RV accidents drive down the local authority rating.
Then if there are lots of RV accidents, the player will need to upgrade the crossings or get real unpopular with the local authority.
Who is John Galt?
phil88
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by phil88 »

I've always thought a better way of 'fixing' the level crossing would be instead of the default behaviour where the crossing stops RVs when a train is half a tile away from the crossing - have the distance from the crossing depend on the speed the train is going. So, a slow steam train will trigger the crossing at half a tile, but a much faster express passenger train would trigger it from maybe 2 tiles away.

I think having the trains stop for RVs is a bit of the wrong-way-round.
- Phil
sulai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sulai »

I think so, too. I've peeked that from locomotion, where level crossings close for trains like they do for road vehicles.

I think a very good solution is this one, plus a speed limit for trains near the level crossing (depending on how many adjacent level crossings there are).
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

sulai wrote:I've peeked that from locomotion, where level crossings close for trains like they do for road vehicles.
Yes. But that´s typical "Old English" style, and in no way exemplary (like driving on the wrong side of the road and other curiosities :P).
Eynsham.jpg
Eynsham.jpg (33.13 KiB) Viewed 4725 times
[picture: www.martin.loader.btinternet.co.uk]

regards
Michael
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

michael blunck wrote:
sulai wrote:I've peeked that from locomotion, where level crossings close for trains like they do for road vehicles.
Yes. But that´s typical "Old English" style, and in no way exemplary (like driving on the wrong side of the road and other curiosities :P).
Eynsham.jpg
[picture: http://www.martin.loader.btinternet.co.uk]

regards
Michael
I have intentionally stopped a road vehicle on a crossing in locomotion and the train went straight trhough it but of course lomo doesn't have train with rv collisions.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/

Return to “OpenTTD Development”