OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by Zephyris »

And two new buildings...

These will need some careful palconverting...
Attachments
60s office block 8bpp.png
60s office block 8bpp.png (3.81 KiB) Viewed 6400 times
hotel 8bpp.png
hotel 8bpp.png (7.54 KiB) Viewed 6405 times
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

If you continue to work at this speed there will be nothing left to be drawn in a few days ^^

Looks nice anyway.
Like sun is to the dark soil,
so is true enlightenment to the soil's friends.

N.F.S. Grundtvig
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

Foobar, maybe you could make the big trg1 replacement too? Just let the undone sprites blank. I made some tests already with a empty trg1 and the OpenGFX as static grfs. Beside the houses seems almost everything done and you can play games with NewGRFs quite well.

I think, it is worth a try. :-)

Greets
Ammler
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Yes, I plan on doing that in the near future.

And in fact, that near future might just be tonight, as soon as there's nothing to reply to on the forums here :D

Please note that trg1r will take a whole lot longer than the other two. Now I have a little less than 5000 sprites to replace, instead of a little less than 1000 for the other two combined :]
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Yes, I plan on doing that in the near future.
Awesome :D
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

And the tall office block...
Attachments
tall office block 8bpp.png
tall office block 8bpp.png (28.85 KiB) Viewed 5944 times
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

I think workers usually build houses floor by floor. It look like they build outer walls first and then filled them with floors on your sprites :lol:
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Yes, but that makes it much harder to draw!

And special planes....
Attachments
Special Planes 8bpp.png
Special Planes 8bpp.png (1.55 KiB) Viewed 5895 times
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

I may have missed this somewhere, but has a replacement for sprite 1420 been done yet? Most of the town buildings use is as a base, either in its original form or with the building's footprint overlayed on top of it (sprite 1534 for example).
1420.png
1420.png (1.59 KiB) Viewed 5708 times
Regarding the football stadium: it doesn't look quite right to me. Too much contrast between the dark grassy borders and the white stadium parts perhaps?
footballstadium.png
footballstadium.png (23.92 KiB) Viewed 5714 times
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

umm why doesn't the stadia have the usermost tribunes?
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

How about a combination of both?
Let the sides of Red*Star's dock match Zephyris' dock and change the surface in a way that one can connect a road smoothly to the dock.
I could also do the locks in a style similar to the docks... do you think that idea rocks? ^^
I think that either of these would be good ideas for the nautical features. I really would like to see Red*Star's docks in game as the default because they are the most interesting docks I have seen, but at the same time, I agree that the locks would look good when matching with the docks.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

opengfx1r.grf is coming along nicely. Except that I made one error which shifted every sprite from around halfway the file by 1. Resulting in planes flying backwards, helicopters using the blimp as rotor and the terrain being very uneven. :D

Also I still have to include the buildings. The test version in the screenshot below uses red silhouettes of the originals. The good thing about the screenshot below is that it's 100% [0] copyright free!

As soon as I've finished the 1r.grf as far as I am currently able to finish it, I'll make a list of the sprites missing from it. Either those sprites haven't been done yet, or I was unable to locate them. After that list I'll start recoding the openttdw newgrf in a similar way as the 1r file: with red silhouettes for the sprites still missing.

Now to fix me an error :D
Naamloos-2.png
Naamloos-2.png (102.8 KiB) Viewed 5552 times
[0] Actually, the screenshot above isn't 100% copyright free, as I included Windows Vista's window frame. ..
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

rofl!

Actually the red silhouettes of the original sprites might make it non-copyright-free because they're derivative works, but I'm not an expert on that...
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Sorry for butting in, but I marvel at the thought that the graphics would be copyright OK just because they are redrawn. Normally it is *not* OK even to have seen the originals, and then drawing the same thing yourself. You have to have a 'clean room' approach to actually stand a chance in court. And then there's the 'look and feel' which is very hard to keep, and still not infringe...

OTOH, I doubt that OTTD will go to court, and I applaud the effort - but don't go around believing that OTTD will suddenly be OK by the law just because of this...
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

AndersI wrote:Sorry for butting in, but I marvel at the thought that the graphics would be copyright OK just because they are redrawn. Normally it is *not* OK even to have seen the originals, and then drawing the same thing yourself. You have to have a 'clean room' approach to actually stand a chance in court. [...]
Indeed, from a legal POV, this is a more than dubious project.
don't go around believing that OTTD will suddenly be OK by the law just because of this...
When reading the forums, one gets the strong impression that even developers (and other "high-ranking" forum members) are putting high expectations in this undertaking.

regards
Michael
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

michael blunck wrote:...one gets the strong impression that even developers (and other "high-ranking" forum members) are putting high expectations in this undertaking.
Why wouldn't they? From a legal point of view, I think this project is not less legal than OpenTTD or TTDPatch. Let's not dicuss the legal status of OpenTTD or TTDPatch here, as that has been discussed many times in the past.

So if Atari doesn't care about a TTD clone being out there, it very most likely wouldn't care about a graphics clone with more that 50% of the graphics not even being clones, but completely drawn from scratch and looking very differently.
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

michael blunck wrote: Indeed, from a legal POV, this is a more than dubious project.
No, it's not. It may be true that the end result is not completely legal, but at least it moves the legal status of the graphics from a plain copy to 50% original sprites and 50% derivative work, and 0% plain copies. So any project that tries to divert from the original graphics is not dubious imo, but should be encouraged. It's just not the final project.

Back to the graphics: I tried the subtropic base graphics FooBar posted, and it's really goodlooking! Congratulations to all of the contributors, I'm never going to use the original tropical grf again, I think. (and maybe you should mention that it only works if you move all the obg files but the opengfx.obg file out of the data directory )
Last edited by GeekToo on 05 Sep 2008 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

FooBar wrote:completely drawn from scratch and looking very differently.
Doesn't look much different to me. It doesn't have to be pixel for pixel the same to be a copy.

Remember, 2 rights makes 1 wrong, or something like that...
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Wait to see the full product first. :wink:
Also the original graphics were meant to display at 640x480. So any comparison should be made on the same resolution.

And I think some people are getting jealous...
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

AndersI wrote:Sorry for butting in, but I marvel at the thought that the graphics would be copyright OK just because they are redrawn. Normally it is *not* OK even to have seen the originals, and then drawing the same thing yourself. You have to have a 'clean room' approach to actually stand a chance in court.
Sorta like ludde's 'clean room' implementation of OpenTTD 0.1, right?

*hides*
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

Return to “Graphics Development”