SVN for AI contributors?

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Zutty
Director
Director

SVN for AI contributors?

Post by Zutty »

Hi guys, me again! I've come to ruin your day once more. ;)

I'm getting close to a 0.1 release of PathZilla (I can't think of a better name) and I thought it would be nice to share the code in an SVN repository. That way we can share code and ideas more easily, users could also get old versions if they need to use older revisions of NoAI for some reason (people might start making special integrated builds that include NoAI at some point in the future), and... you know... SVN its just how its done! The benefits of proper source control should be obvious to anyone who knows what it is!!

Then I got to thinking that an SVN repository just for me would be a waste, so how about a repository for all those AI developers who want to share? "noai-contrib" or something. Of course we don't want to force people (especially participants to the TJIP contest) to share code if they don't want to, but I think it will be nice for those who do.

If its not possible or appropriate (copyright issues?) for us to use openttd.org then we could easily use Google Code or Sourceforge.

Thoughts?
PathZilla - A networking AI - Now with tram support.
wilco_moerman
Engineer
Engineer

Re: SVN for AI contributors?

Post by wilco_moerman »

Zutty wrote: (..)
Of course we don't want to force people (especially participants to the TJIP contest) to share code if they don't want to, but I think it will be nice for those who do.
(..)
I wouldn't mind a sneak peak at the competition 8)

But on the other hand, I would have to start obfuscating my code, and they would do so, and I would need more time to de-obfuscate theirs, etc :?

But in general it sounds like a good idea
Nunc dimittis servum tuum Domine secundum verbum tuum in pace
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

I don't see many benefits from a general svn repository. Allowing multiple people to commit there means they could ruin each others AIs. Even if you prevend that somehow, why do we need it? If you want to share your AI, please do so by creating a new topic for it with a tar file attached. Futhermore: you may know how svn owrks, but a lot of users don't (and don't care to learn). That's no problem as long as you allow them to download your AI in any other way (a topic on the forums for example.) Of course if you want to set up a svn repository, do it, but I'm not going to commit my AI.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

At this point I see no reason why we would need such SVN repos. As Yexo said, creating a topic and share your code there, is plenty for now. If at some point we get overrun with people wanting a place to store their AI, it most likely will be a Mercurial repos with some kind of centralized security system, to prevent people from changing each others AI. But this is something for on the long track.

Also, for the TJIP challenge I strongly advise people to keep their AI for themselves. As both Rubidium and I do not participate in the challenge, you are always free to ask us questions about it, even with code-snippets. The code will be handled with at-most care, of course.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Zutty
Director
Director

Post by Zutty »

Yexo wrote:I don't see many benefits from a general svn repository. Allowing multiple people to commit there means they could ruin each others AIs.
Oh yeah that's a good point. I didn't think of that!

I might still do it for myself. I know its a bit silly for just one person, but I like the idea of being able to browse code online.
PathZilla - A networking AI - Now with tram support.
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

Zutty wrote:I know its a bit silly for just one person, but I like the idea of being able to browse code online.
Why so?
I have SVN repos on my PC, which I use all by myself. It's just much more convenient, than to keep backup copies of my projects in case I FUBAR something.

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”