wwOTTDgd: starting 12th July, at noon, 12h UTC

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

wwOTTDgd: starting 12th July, at noon, 12h UTC

Post by planetmaker »

Hi,

some of you may have participated in the last event of the Worldwide OpenTTD gaming day which was a big success. The idea is to have a server with a number of companies but many more clients connected than usual. Each company has a patch of the map which it may manage itself, but using the infrastructure sharing patch you may (and shall!) co-operate to build a decent network and ship ressources to your stations. More details on the map and scenario can be found on the above mentioned website.

Voting for a suitable date was open all June and the majority of people voted for 12th July as the date for this event.
You may also want to put your name under one of the companies you like to participate in here.
Servers will be online from 12pm UTC (noon) on 12th July onwards

Let's all look forward to a great gaming experience!

Voting was at vote for a date here (Closing date: 30th June 2008).
Last edited by planetmaker on 11 Jul 2008 18:13, edited 6 times in total.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Worldwide OpenTTD gaming day. Vote for date and sign now!

Post by LordAzamath »

The general ruleset/info (maybe tweaked in future) will be:

Rules/Info:
  • 1. There are 6 regional companies and one Central. This fits the map.
    2. !Four of the companies have 8 Coal Mines, 8 Iron Ore Mines, a Power Plant and a Steel Mill and one other secondary industry. Two of the companies have 14 Coal Mines and a Power Plant and a Factory (Other four don't have factories). Internal market is only opened for passenger and coal (and in 4 regions, iron ore) transport.
    3. Two regions have Sawmills, but no Forests, two others Oil Refinerys, but no Oil Wells (the dissappearing of oil wells have to be controlled somehow), and two regions have Factories but no Farms nor Iron Ore Mines/Steel Mills. On the other hand they have more Coal Mines.
    4. In the central island there are no industries at all, there will be a central station and a hub provided by Global Company (Global Warming Inc.).
    5. You have to export different products to different regions, eg. Grain and Livestock to a region with a Factory. Also you have to provide a good Drop at your secondary industry. Global company can help to point out inefficencies and perhaps even help to build in some places. But be advised, Global will build their own tracks, so you won't get taxes when you don't build them yourself.
    5. If you wish, you may cooperate with some other region to export your coal there too, but the other company has to provide a dropoff to their Power Plant.
    6. Global Company gets their income from taxing the central hub usage and passenger service inside central island.
    7. All inter-regional transport has to be done via Central island, no direct connections, except passenger service, you are not forced to export passengers though..
    8. You will be given £ 5 000 000 at start, to start planning right away without having trouble with moneymakers (which are still required though for the funds to stay :P)
    9. NO COMPANY IS ALLOWED TO BUILD OUTSIDE THEIR REGION.

If more questions, please ask the admins in-game..
    And post your current questions here please :)
Other blah:
The current binaries and patch are available at wwottdgd2 development thread: clicky
They will be updated though before the event. Also the #openttdcoop GRF-pack will be needed. There will be a new release soon, so we will use the next one. If any more questions and comments, please ask :)

Links: PlanetBaker and Ammler, if a[/url]nything needs correcting, please tell me
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
JJens
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JJens »

Great, I will play there again! Lord are we joining the join company like last time? :D
Timitry
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timitry »

Heyho :)

How about a patch which prevents Industries from closing down and opening, so the starting situation won't change and each company has the same chances? I have seen a patch being developed somewhere around here...
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Nice to hear that there's interest in this game :). I actually updated the list of patches to be included in the first post.
JJens wrote:Great, I will play there again! Lord are we joining the join company like last time? :D
Dihedral is working on a patch which will move you automatically into the company which you've been in the last time you connected to the game. So unless you want to switch companies, you should only require admin assitance on your first join to the wwottdgd server
Timitry wrote:How about a patch which prevents Industries from closing down and opening, so the starting situation won't change and each company has the same chances? I have seen a patch being developed somewhere around here...
I thought about that. But on the other hand I guess we won't have much of a problem with closing industries as many players will result in a fast building process. No long planning stage after the start of the game is required (unlike usual public server games on #openttdcoop) as companies can decide on their own how they build within their territory. And after some time you'd have enough money to fund any industry.

But it might be an idea to restrict building industries in some way :).
JJens
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JJens »

planetmaker wrote:
JJens wrote:Great, I will play there again! Lord are we joining the same company like last time? :D
Dihedral is working on a patch which will move you automatically into the company which you've been in the last time you connected to the game. So unless you want to switch companies, you should only require admin assitance on your first join to the wwottdgd server
I was talking about wwottdgd1 :wink:
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Yeh.. Last time me and JJens owned everyone but scandinavia (were equal to them) in Baltica.. :P
Nut I don't think I'll spend much time in regional companies though..

EDIT: Wooh.. censoring what I have forgot for long
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Just a bump to this thread to give it some attention again. PlanetMaker has made another beta patch, you can get it here
Soon I think we need playtesters to give the patch also a stress test, what happens if very many ppl are online :P
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

afaik we have 'support' for 55 clients (including admins)
i am not sure how high we can bump this (thinking of the FOREACHCLIENT() stuff, we dont want all of those loops having to run through 200 times :-P)

to help us organize this beast, it would be great if people would sign up, that just will feed us with an overview of who to expect and where they want to play.
Kolijn Wolfaardt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kolijn Wolfaardt »

Will it be possible to play if I only have a 56 kb/s connection? I would really like to join, but I don't know if the connection can handle it. :-)
ImageImage
ImageImage

Toyland isn't a climate, its a mistake.
This message was transmitted on 100% recycled electrons

Don't pm, rather e-mail me.
New terrain graphics
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

OK, I'm in. I just need the date and the patch and I'm playing. Don't worry about my connection though:

(Tell me I'm crazy, but it's actually true. OK, only for connections to other peers on my ISP's network, but anyway I have 2mbps down, 1 mbps up.)

EDIT: 5 million £pounds is too much, 1 million is enough for a lot IMO. Really, unless the industries are set to output a lot of cargo at the start, you're not gonna build double two-way tracks from the start. Less money adds more realism, and it'll be nice to see how the network evolves from a simple connection to a huge networked connected with other and so on.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Kolijn Wolfaardt wrote:Will it be possible to play if I only have a 56 kb/s connection? I would really like to join, but I don't know if the connection can handle it. :-)
Better get a better connection.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Kolijn Wolfaardt wrote:Will it be possible to play if I only have a 56 kb/s connection? I would really like to join, but I don't know if the connection can handle it. :-)
http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/FAQ_multiplayer wrote: How much bandwidth does the game use?

The rate is approximately 1.2 kbyte/sec upload and 1.2 kbyte/sec download per client. Multiplying that up, a 10-player server will use approximately 12 kbyte/sec up and 12 kbyte/sec down (the exact numbers will depend on the number of retransmissions etc.). Therefore, a 10-player, 24/7 server will consume 60 Gbyte/per month of bandwidth if all 10 players are connected the whole month.
A problem might be to download the map initially which will be even initially a few hundret kB, but grow with playing time. You can test that on our dev server or also public server.
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

we will probably exceed that guestimate with 55 clients :-P
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

55 * 1.2 = 66 (kb/s)
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

so a double isdn line would suffice :-P

@LA kb != kbyte
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

A byte is 8 bits (some exotic systems have 7, but OTTD doesn't run on those I believe). So does OTTD need 66 kiloBytes/s or 66 kilobits/s?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

When discussing C and C++ programming, a byte is always at least 8 bits. (The C and C++ standards have required this for ages, and probably since K&R. Aka "forever".)

When discussing traffic being transmitted via an IEEE 802 standard, a byte is always exactly 8 bits.

When discussing exotic machines like the PDP series, a byte is always an inteteger number of bits.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

merely pointing out that a lowercase b is used for bit and a upper case B for byte
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

DaleStan wrote:When discussing C and C++ programming, a byte is always at least 8 bits. (The C and C++ standards have required this for ages, and probably since K&R. Aka "forever".)

When discussing traffic being transmitted via an IEEE 802 standard, a byte is always exactly 8 bits.

When discussing exotic machines like the PDP series, a byte is always an inteteger number of bits.
You know, I couldn't care less. All I care about is playing with some fellows that day! :mrgreen:

Return to “General OpenTTD”